Gestational Diabetes in first trimester. Help Pls!

Discussion in 'Pregnancy & Labor' started by papoosh, Jan 31, 2012.

1. papoosh

papoosh Bronze IL'ite

Hi,

I am 6 weeks pregnant and while doing the routine battery of tests in my first visit 2 days ago with my OBG, we discovered that my glucose challenge test results were very high (224 mg/dl). Post this, I have visited an endocrinologist and been monitoring my sugar levels which are quite high...

While I do have a family history of Diabetes, I have never had high sugar till date inspite of monitoring quite frequently. I had last done a proper sugar screening 9 months ago. Everywhere that I try reading up on gestational diabetes, it only talks about it being detected around the 22nd to 24th week. I have not come across anyone/ any articles where someone has been diagnosed with GD in the first trimester itself.

I am now very worried as this is a much cherished first pregnancy for me and my husband. If you know of any articles of GD in the first trimester or know someone who has had it or god forbid, if you have it, could you share your experiences please? It would be great relief to know that I am not alone here....

Thanks...
    Papoosh

2. resmij

resmij Silver IL'ite

Hi Papoosh
    I too had GD, when I was pregnant, and I did not have any family history.I was asked for a diet control, and walking, which I never missed. This is not a difficult thing, control what you eat, include more of salad, less amount of rice, and things will be alright. Consult a Dietician if possible, they can guide you.

I consulted dietician, and she gave me a diet chart, it would help you to know what to eat and what not.
    You may not put on weight here after till your delivery,wt increase would be of may be 3-4 kgs only,
    eat methi leafs,karelas, lettuces, beans
    you can eat green apple, 2-3 strawberries a day.(my diet chart said all these)
    use oats instead of rice
    and eat on regular intervals.
    Keep smiling
    Take care
    Resmi J

3. papoosh

papoosh Bronze IL'ite

Hi Reshmi,

Thanks so much. Were you also diagnosed with GD in the first trimester itself? I have already started the diet and only started monitoring today. I know it is early days, since I was diagnosed only yesterday but felt very disheartened nevertheless..especially since I have a huge sweet tooth! I am hoping my strict diet control will help for now as my doc has advised as much bed rest as possible and not even walking until 12 weeks are up.

I will keep smiling :)

Papoosh

4. lochu

lochu Gold IL'ite

Hi Papoosh

Congrats on your pregnancy .I have a friend who has GD detected in first trimester and she take insuleinh shots too and now she is 27 weeks and no problem with Baby .I know its depressing at first but I also had GD during my first one but was able to manage with diet and exercise .after a week you will get the hang of it .

5. papoosh

papoosh Bronze IL'ite

Hi Lochu,

Thanks so much. Yes, since it is early days yet, I guess I was feeling particularly depressed yesterday. I do feel a little better today and it is heartening to know about your friend. Wish her all the best :)

Thanks,
    Papoosh

6. lochu

lochu Gold IL'ite

Hi Papoosh

Aleays see the good side in it .Now that she had GD she has leanred to eat healthy and het preganacy is going good.She has not pit on so much weight she exercises regularly and its all good for her and the baby .Good luck Initail days may be difficult for you as you may have morning sickness and vomitting but don't worry it can be controlled easily

7. sravs123

sravs123 New IL'ite

Hi Papoosh,
    Hru? Hope everything is fine with you and your baby.
    How u managed the glucose, were there any complications?
    I recently came to know that I have high glucose levels in the blood, im 6 weeks pregnant. I'm so worried...I don't know how to manage.. please help me.

8. Padmash

Padmash Platinum IL'ite

Papoosh,
    Congrats on pyour pregnancy. You already read many threads regarding GD so take care well.. Control your sweet tooth strictly.. follow a good diet and wlaking throughout your pregnancy. One of my friend was GD in forst trimester. With her first test reults only she was put on insulin and she and baby are well.. she is off the insulin and living a happily life without any complain of diabetes. So manage well things will be good.

tc