1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Gender Equality In Our Eyes!

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by SGBV, Oct 20, 2016.

1. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

Inspired by this threadMy Brother - A Superdad And Superhusband and the various reactions/responses given by others, I wish to start an open discussion here on Gender equality.

No doubt that I admire @lukywife for starting this eye opener thread. This one is not an extension of her thread.
    However, I sensed the different understanding of gender equality and justice from different folks here.

One hand, we fight for justice. We fight for equal rights, gender balance and what not.
    In a way, some of us are borderline feminists too.

But on the other hand, we easily give up our rights, and accept discrimination as part of our cultural package.

Eg: If a man steps out of his gender box (the socially defined role of a man) to help his wife for cooking/cleaning at home, the society either call him super OR challenges his masculinity by calling him henpecked.
    While criticizing the folks who call a helping husband as henpecked, we fail to recognize those who call him super.
    The ones who call him super also give him and the society a wrong message. Because helping wife is not super, it is normal. It should be his duty.
    You can't expect everyone to be super. But you can demand the same if that is recognized as something normal.
    Wanting to be normal is an easy demand.
    Eg: If you ask your H to be a super husband, he may deny that. But if you ask him to be normal, he can't deny that easily.

There are wives who quit their lucrative careers just to take care of their kids. There are wives who manages the home and career singlehandedly just to ensure their family hasn't missed anything.
    There are wives who accepts long sabbatical at the cost of promising promotions, and financial independence just to support their husband's career after kids.
    But we accept them as normal. We never call them super.

If at all a woman comes here to announce how super she is/ or her sister is because they work and earn a salary in addition to whatever the socially assigned roles of a woman?
    Would you all praise her for being super? Would you even accept her as super?
    How many of us would show our rage to call these women as self boasting?
    How many of us would shrug our shoulders and say 'Huh... all of us do this, then why super?
    How many of us would start a battle here defending home makers, only to ensure these working women are no better than home makers. Because both of them work!!!

But when a man does something like this, I mean doing something beyond his socially defined role, it becomes viral... either we praise him as super, or tease him as hen pecked.

When are we gonna let our men to be normal? Unfair, isn't it?

Let's think about it...

2. teejay

teejay Gold IL'ite

@SGBV

Great thread and topic for discussion. In a world where even the most modern society like USA is fighting for equal wages for women for the same work done, such a scenario should not raise eye brows. Yes , we speak of women equality and changing times. Yes, there are progressive people among us. But IMHO,as long as there is even one woman facing gender discrimination in this world, we should continue to applaud and highlight women who are successful in personal & professional life. And also the men who albeit 'normal' try to encourage the women in their lives / defy the conventional mold of male behaviour.

I clapped my hands and encouraged my baby when he took his first steps It made me proud as a mom. Why? My kid is not the first and certainly not the last baby to reach the milestone. We humans have been walking around for millions of years. But still a word /act of appreciation and encouragement makes a big difference. We should celebrate the 'normal' and be proud of it. For me,its as simple as that.

3. Desiindian

Desiindian Gold IL'ite

OP,
    What is wrong when someone calls another person super in a social forum like this?
    If someone does anything out of box and that brings healthy atmosphere in the society or within the family, what is wrong in calling them a super person. Like the say “beauty lies in the eyes of the beholder”, appreciating someone’s action lies in the mind of the beholder. I call my DH a super husband, because he supports me in all my decisions. He doesn’t mind helping me doing HH chores with all his relatives around. My relatives were all surprised. My mil said this one while chatting, that somebody told her I have changed my husband completely. My Sil who is working says this; anna is helping you a lot at home, whereas her husband doesn’t even wash a spoon. When he/she watches a person doing something not common in their circle, they tend to show their appreciation with superwords. And again sharing the same experience has nothing to do with boasting or jealousy or whatsoever. The heart that is ready to appreciate with super word needs to be appreciated.

Like you said, one may find something as super, some doesn’t. There is nothing to debate in both cases.

sindmani, vaidehi71 and SGBV like this.
  4. SunPa

SunPa Platinum IL'ite

Giving up a career/taking a break from work for nuturing children, being a supportive spouse, going the extra 1000 mile for the family, how is it even out of the box?
    The few months I have been here in IL, I can tell you not one or two but atleast a dozen women who are here doing that right here. Yes it may be not the norm for a man though.

And that is the point.

Let me giva a different exaggerated analogy. There is a government office where employees are very corrupt. Now a new officer joins who is not corrupt. So he does his duty and doesnt accept any bribe. Should he be called a super officer as he is doing the duty he is supposed to do in the way he is supposed to do? It is harder for a man to not accept a bribe when he is surrounded by people who do , But is that really an achievement?

Being proud of such a man is one thing, calling that a great achievement is another
    There in lies the debate.

5. Desiindian

Desiindian Gold IL'ite

officers duty is defined, anyone wud say its his duty. Do we have same bar in relationship?

6. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

Thanks @teejay and @Desiindian for your responses.

I agree wholeheartedly that there is nothing wrong in appreciating someone for the work they do, even if that falls withing 'normal' range. I get your point that, what is normal for someone may not be normal for others.
    My discussion point is not that. As I warned above, this thread is not an extension to the previous thread about a super husband/dad.

My calls is, whether we appreciate the women who does 'normal' or slightly extra ordinary things like having a career in parallel to their household responsibilities and social roles (such as mom, DD, DIL, Wife)?

How many of us share or even post a thread here saying my sister is a supper mom, my SIL is a super wife for doing the normal things like going to work and take care of the kids, while perhaps cooking or cleaning?
    I know we women do certainly more if we are to count the tasks. But these are the things that are taken for granted in real life.
    No one comes to appreciate you or point their finger at you saying you are great for being 'normal'.
    That's the reality... It is our choice whether we accept this reality or not.

sindmani and teejay like this.
  7. teejay

teejay Gold IL'ite

Agree with you @SGBV. Come to think of it, all the women I know are super moms and super wives. Maybe, we dont post about them because super mom/wife is common where are super dad/husband is a rarity :) (As an after thought,super dads might not be so rare. I think mine is certainly one)

sindmani likes this.
  8. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

Just a small difference... All the women are normal, just as the normal men. There are some super women, and super men too. They do exceedingly better things.
    But there are jerks, chauvinist, and unaware women too.
    Sadly we call the latter caseload as normal, so whoever leads a normal life becomes super. This sadly makes no room for the real super heroes

sindmani and teejay like this.
  9. Desiindian

Desiindian Gold IL'ite

Ladies, I am writing only this to understand your question better, definitely not a debate. On what basis we say a women or men as normal or super or lesser or a hero? Please clarify.

pocahontas and coolgal123 like this.
  10. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

There is no standard scale or definition to this, specially when it comes to people's matter.
    Traditionally we call someone super for being excellent in something they do. There is a socially defined/accepted level, which is called normal. Which is widely accepted and commonly practiced. So anything beyond this 'normal' level is called super/excellent.
    What is normal to me may not be normal to you. Because there is no scale to measure what is normal in the first place.

However, what is normal to a man should be normal to a woman. What is super to a man should be super to a woman too. That is what called gender equality and justice.
    This thread is all about this.

anupartha likes this.