1. Handy Kitchen Tips that You cannot Miss : Solutions for all your Problems
    Dismiss Notice

Gas Vs Electric Coil Vs Convection Cooktop For Indian Cooking In Us

Discussion in 'Spotless Kitchen' started by sanjuruby3, May 16, 2017.

1. sanjuruby3

sanjuruby3 Platinum IL'ite

Most of places in US I had electric coil cook top. My experience is it takes time to heat up and then cool down.
    After cooking done, we remove utensils, burners are still hot and its unsafe for kids unless we cover it.
    For cooking, I have adapted to speed of cooking/heat transfer rate. About Utensils buring/getting dirty , I feel some of my utensils get food sticking to it at botton and utensils with rounder botton ( many indian) are hard to use/stabilize.

I once had gas stove in one apartment and I like it as its faster but normally homes/apartments in US do not have those and with risks, most places moving to convection now. I hear people ( from Indian people who cook everyday) like it a lot as its fast and can cook almost everything.

What are your experiences. I do not know electricity /gas or econmomical differences? any ideas? I feel gas stove or convection is atleast better then electric coil one, but from gas vs convection, what do you say?

2. BhumiBabe

BhumiBabe Platinum IL'ite

When I lived in an apartment, I had the electric coil stove, which functioned and I cannot complain much. But once we moved to our house, it had a nice gas stove, which I cannot live without. It's much easier to control the heat, though it does get a little too hot. The only thing I don't like about it, is the cleaning. If I had the flat top stove, that is completely covered (the black top, so coils are not exposed), my daily cleaning ritual will be a lot easier.

I only cook with wooden spoons, unless I'm frying (metal). I usually use a spoon plate to hold my cooking utensils while cooking. It's an extra step that many of the experienced people don't use, but I prefer to keep my cookware from burning or burning me.

3. BhumiBabe

I should specify the "spoon plate", its actually called a spoon rest.

4. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

For the cleaning - covering the gas stove with aluminum foil? Youtube videos show many ways. And there are also disposable aluminum stove covers that can be bought?

For the parts of the stove that cannot be covered with al. foil, like the grey metal thingies in this picture: https://i.ytimg.com/vi/tTmTQr6lHq0/maxresdefault.jpg I learnt a trick many years ago. Put them in the convection oven and run the self-clean cycle. They come out shining new. The matter stuck to them simply turns to ash. Like magic. No water, no soap, no scrubber, no scratches. The cycle is usually 1.5 hrs long. I cancel it at 1 hr.

I will post a Before and After picture in the weekend. : )

blessings1010, Amica, rmpriya and 2 others like this.
  5. BhumiBabe

I'm already using the aluminum foil method, which is working, somewhat, but it's still extra work to pull up the grates to clean around the burner. I try to clean 2x week, because I simply can't do it every week. If I had the black top electric burners, I could clean it off just like the countertop.

I want to try this trick for the grates (aka. grey metal thingies). Right now I just scrub and shake my head in frustration.

6. Sansa

Sansa Silver IL'ite

Do convection oven has a self clean cycle? This shows how good I am in kitchen items :grimacing:
    D

7. Rihana

LOL. For many years, my oven only served as a place to put roti/dosa pans and to store kadhai filled with oil.

Yes, most ovens that are not more than 25-30 yrs old, have a "Clean" option in the Control Panel. These are the so-called self-cleaning ovens.

Sansa likes this.
  8. Sansa

Sansa Silver IL'ite

Top in my to-do list to check if I have one after going home. Also it is a wonderful tip

9. Rihana

First try cleaning just one small circular thing that goes on top of the burner, not a grate itself.

And, don't start it in the middle of a hot afternoon. Run the clean cycle when out of the kitchen, but keep an eye on it.

10. blessings1010

blessings1010 Gold IL'ite

Cool tip. Thank you!