1. Handy Kitchen Tips that You cannot Miss : Solutions for all your Problems
    Dismiss Notice

Gardening tips please..

Discussion in 'Gardening' started by Selvi, Mar 18, 2006.

1. mangala hegde

mangala hegde New IL'ite

Hi everyone,
    I am also crazy about plants.wherever i go my plants follow me.Even now in flat in chennai,i am trying my luck with my own pots like rose, parijata(in kannada),shankhpushpa,tulsi, chrysanthemum, curryleaves plant etc and its coming out very well.
    I have some tips on gardening-

1. people say for curryleavesplant you can put buttermilk,will grow healthy.and
    2.After making tea decoction the waste teapowder you can use it for chrysanthemum plant.
    3.If your hibiscus plant gets any disease or insects you can spray the diluted soap water after washing the clothes,if you are using the mild soappowder like Henko in india.

Pls if anyone knows about the roof gardening or any classes are conducting in this topic in and around Adyar chennai,let me know.
    thanks in advance.
    mangala

2. Lavanya

Lavanya Bronze IL'ite

I tried planting methi/fenugreek after germinating them for couple days & it looks like its doing well.
    But unfortunately the mint stalks or the coriander seeds which are split up don't seem to grow... Do you need to germinate coriander seeds too before planting. I remember from when I was a kid that my grand mom used to crush the seeds & sow them & we'd have no problem getting cilantro everywhere.
    Could use any input on these...
    L.

3. gitasharma

gitasharma Gold IL'ite

yes just take dhaniya /coriander seeds and crush it my mom used to do it with slippers somethings I just follow coz it works and sprinkle in a pot cover it with a seive the rawa one and leave it in semi sunlight and just sprinkle water and in 3-4 days u wil c it sprouting .Just let it grow wen a little big remove the seive and it grows happily. keep cutting a little every day I get so much that when I leave it it flowers and disprses its seed all over that I have a little coriander in so many pots .
    gita

1 person likes this.
  4. gitasharma

gitasharma Gold IL'ite

5. gitasharma

gitasharma Gold IL'ite

hai varloo and all others I am a new member here I have my garden albums on Fb my name is gita .sharma https://www.facebook.com/gita.sharma.I hope you enjoy it
    I have an outer row of pots with big plants about 4ft.: mosambi/ lime/ orange /grape fruit/ fig/pomogranate/ pappaya /drumstick/klaka a sour berry also called garunda in hindi uused in pickles./perandae/ sambrani.
    Ii front of this I have small pots in rows.: they are the rectangular type one each of palak/ methi/ thota kura /gangavalli kura /pudina /chillies /tomato/ beans/ bendi /capsicum /cherry tomatoes /.brinjal on one end I have kept 3 tins in which I have put mud a little cement and stuck bamboos /and behind on the wall clamped nuts and kept rods .connected these and made a pandal of sorts where i have karela/ and snake gourd.
    I get enough for veg for us around 200-300 gms of beans/brinjal/bendi lots of greens mirchi tomato that I share with freind
    Muranga ka 3-4 for sambar
    Inone end I have malli poo . I get about 10-18'malae.
    A few sampangis
    At the next level I have all my Hibiscus( 30 varities) roses (15-20 varities)
    antherium some indoor plants liliies / kankambarams ( Red , Yellow, orange, blue & green) 6 beds where I grow seasonals like marigold/balsam /hollyhock/petunia.
    On my portico I have a collection of chrysanthamums . after the blooming season is overI move them and instead keep tube roses /may flower etc.
    I also have 10 colors of gerberas orange red & white gladiola .
    peach and green carnation 2 -plants of birds paradius,Passion flower Red,blue, orange some orchids,december blue, white, & stripped. lotus ( pink,peach/white /yellow /blue).some bougnvilla / maruvam/ garuda vardanam/ aralli/ nandiyavatte/bridle boquette./so many more plants.Big plants on groun are Mango tree/ Sapota/ coconut/chameli/ nitya malli /mulle /2 other varities of malli poo/ green sampangi, brahma kamalam./ vilvam .I had a kodi sampangi That died recently .Iam trying to get it back .anyone if you know lease let me know.

In fact it was in search of this plant that while googling I read about Ms pushpavalli Srinivasan who shared her thrill that these flowers finally bloomed in her garden. If you are in this group please write to me.
    gita

1 person likes this.
  6. gitasharma

gitasharma Gold IL'ite

pl see my hibiscus in my album on FB https://www.facebook.com/gita.sharma.and in one of these threads I have shared a list of plants I have
    Does one go through all the threads or how is it ?
    gita

7. butterflyice

butterflyice Local Champion Staff Member Platinum IL'ite

@gitasharma, I am trying to see your FB page. Unable to access it :( You have so many plants. Is it really a terrace garden? :) You have unique plants too - cinnamon, brahma kamalam (my MIL has it in her home, now dried :(() marugu, sambrani ... Wow! I really want to see your plants .

8. gitasharma

gitasharma Gold IL'ite

hai my fb id is as below .Iam not great at FB /or going about these networking sites I am trying to learn and find my way around.In some ways Iam high tech person but in certain aspects I am not good at finding these threads or uploading pics .Try this or give me a step by step instruction and I will go ahead and upload my pics here.
    my house is on ground floor with little space around. above my car parking portico I have some plants mostly Chrysanthamums /petunia/ and a few seasonals .and on firstfloor I have a small office and library the rest is open space where I have plants and on this office terrace also I have plants.
    now I shall describe as topmost : as you land in from the stairs opp U have a lush creeper of a variety of jasmine ( sana jaggi in Telugu) the root of the plant is on the ground .Adjacent to this I used to have a creeper of theega sampangi that withered recently. Now in a row in |---| shape :I have big pots having dwarf plants each 3-4 ft.
    Banglore sampange white ,Banglore sampange orange.Arali pink & red
    sweet lime ; orange; lime , pomogranate ,fig/ grape fruit /perandae/Starfruit /sambrani/drumstick/gondha ( this is a berry used in pickles splly n. Indian)/Gladiolai red/white/ orange/Carnation red/green/peach.In the central region of this angular U I have small pots of veg : pudina/ coriander/ parsley/palak/ methi/chuka kura/ gangavall kura / mirchi/ shimla mirch/tomato /cherry tomato/.beans/ brinjal /bendi.
    All these veg I have for the 2 of us. I tried growing karela & louki but failed as they did not grow well they bloomed but the veg did not grow healthy.
    I have a row of plastic tubs in which I have lotus /water lily of peach/ white /blue/yellow /pink
    Now on one corner I have made a small hill on which I have cacti.
    On the side opp I have 3 big pots of gundu malli .
    then the spiral stairs brings you down to the next level of the terrace where I have some creepers growing allthe way till the higher level supported by mesh having : Passion flower RED/ Blue.
    Bridal boque/ madhu malati/ Radha manoharm /blue bell/ yellow almanda /purple almanda .
    One group of pots(30-35) all hibiscus /another group of Roses (10) A step bedding with balsam/impatience / rajni ganda / various arrangements with indoor plants on mossstick some antherium /succulents a dozen bonsai/ a bed aof kanakambarams red/orange yellow /dark blue etc.
    on the ground I have geraniums/ gerbera / dahlia more chrysanthamums / some more herbs/ hibiscus /roses/ orchids/ arali/ nandiyavatae/ coconut trees 2 /mango/ sapota .chameli/ nitya malli , december/more kanakmbarams. Another big tree of green sampangi / parijatam /An area where I grow 21 leaves of ganesh pooja/ and navagragha / and bramakamalam Yes from july to Feb I have plenty of flowers/ the remaining moths in summer I keep my plants alive . So long . I need to sign off . Guess who ever is interested can read through this . I shall be glad to share.but now my patients are waiting
    Cu
    love
    gita

https://www.facebook.com/gita.sharma.

9. gitasharma

gitasharma Gold IL'ite

hai I wrote a longish note yday. Did u c it where do I look for responses could u pl write to me at gitasharma2148@gmail .com.also my patients had come so I ended abruptly I have a few other plants /spices etc but i just signed off.how do I look for responses how do I connect etc pl if u dont mind a quick Standard Operating Protocol on my mail
    gita

10. PushpavalliSrinivasan

PushpavalliSrinivasan IL Hall of Fame

Dear Gita,
    Sorry for visiting this site after a long time.
    You will get feed backs here. It seems people had not yet noticed your post.

Amazing! You are having so many flowering plants! Please post the pictures also.
    In spite of being a doctor your interest in gardening shows your enthu.

Have you engaged a gardener to look after the garden? Otherwise it is difficult to maintain the garden.

I wish to see the pictures of your garden.
    PS