1. Handy Kitchen Tips that You cannot Miss : Solutions for all your Problems
    Dismiss Notice

Gardening tips please..

Discussion in 'Gardening' started by Selvi, Mar 18, 2006.

1. Ami

Ami Silver IL'ite

Thanks, Kamla..

Actually, the seed was given by my friend and where she got it from her father in Chennai. I dont remember seeing in Chennai the bigger one like we get it here(or now available??).

Anyhow, appreciate the prompt reply..

Rgds.

2. Varloo

Varloo Gold IL'ite

Dear Ami,
    sorry for the delay. Actually we get the purple, big eggplants in Kerala. In Chennai also it is available in select stores. I make thugayal an gotsu using that. It will become like a coconut. So watch out and take it out and see how it is. You can slghtly smear oil on the outer surface, pierce on all sides with a knife and micro wave it for 12 min. Turn over once. Then cut and keep. After sometime you can peel off the skin. This can be used for making thugayal and gotsu. Happy eating.
    Then, there is another snake gourd waiting to be harvested, mostly tomorrow.

3. Ami

Ami Silver IL'ite

Thanks, varloo..

Wow, snake gourd right at yr place. Did you plant seeds and if so, is it a shop bought one??

In my backyard, lots of pumpkin climbers are coming up and also, it grows vigorously; but, before the veggie gets bigger, a giant size of fur animal (like our peruchali)comes and eats everything, sadly!!!! Anyhow, abt eggplant, can u suggest me how long it will take the color to change into purple? It has been almost 10 days, still, the color changes sllllllooooowly!!! But, the growth of the veggies is quite good and of course the size too.

Thanks n bye.

4. Varloo

Varloo Gold IL'ite

Dear Ami,
    truly I have no idea about brinjal. But, why don't you try one and see? Also make bajji using that, it is also delicious. I bought some more plants 2 days back when I went to the nursery to buy manure. Now I have planned to maintain the garden as much as possible. The weather is good now, not very hot and slight showers now and then. So planning to plant some more seeds.
    I got the seeds from horticulture shop. There are lots available now. There was an article about the roof top garden in Chennai with the photos. Oh, just lovely. Only it should be maintained by pros. Do you know, actor Jayaram has a good sized garden on his roof top and he shares the vegs grown there with his neighbours also.

5. Ami

Ami Silver IL'ite

Good info.,

HI varloo,

Can you send me any URL reg., roof top garden? I am trying to imagine, but could not..Waiting for yr reply.

Here it is going to be winter soon and hence, have stopped thinking abt plants. You being in Chennai, guess that you can plant round the year, isnt it?? Enjoy and have delicious dishes with yr home made veggies/fruits!!

Bye.

6. mangala hegde

mangala hegde New IL'ite

Hi everyone,
    I am also crazy about plants.wherever i go my plants follow me.Even now in flat in chennai,i am trying my luck with my own pots like rose, parijata(in kannada),shankhpushpa,tulsi, chrysanthemum, curryleaves plant etc and its coming out very well.
    I have some tips on gardening-

1. people say for curryleavesplant you can put buttermilk,will grow healthy.and
    2.After making tea decoction the waste teapowder you can use it for chrysanthemum plant.
    3.If your hibiscus plant gets any disease or insects you can spray the diluted soap water after washing the clothes,if you are using the mild soappowder like Henko in india.

Pls if anyone knows about the roof gardening or any classes are conducting in this topic in and around Adyar chennai,let me know.
    thanks in advance.
    mangala

7. vmur

vmur Silver IL'ite

I would like to add on to Mangala's tips.

Please do not throw away the peels of the vegetables esp onions/garlic and potatoes and the tea leaves that is already infused. If you are in India, just put them in a broken or unused pot, or bury them near the plants, or just spread them in the pots. In the US (esp in cold winter days), I store them in a pot in the garage, I agree, it does stink a bit, but try to cover it with some plastic wrap. As soon as spring arrives, I used some of this along with the miracle-gro or any other soil and plant my herbs. You will have a supply of herbs all summer this way. In summer, you can just spread it on the mulched area and cover it with some mulch.. Notice how the roses bloom and how fragrant they will be.!!

My two cents!!
    Regards
    Vidya

8. Varloo

Varloo Gold IL'ite

Hai Mangala,
    The Horticulture dept. in Anna Nagar is conducting classes on kitchen gardening and other topics from time to time. The classes are advertised in the Hindu. There is a fee also. I do not have any idea about Adyar. You could try the local paper which you may get on Sundays or in dept.stores for free.If I happen to fall on any info regards this, I shall let you know.
    I have space around the house and so have some plants. I think you mean the pavazhamalli by parijatha-the sweet smelling flower which blooms by midnight, with red stem and white petals, is it?
    I have some hibiscus plants, but now they are not blooming for the past 2 months. I think I shall have to get something for them.

9. vmur

vmur Silver IL'ite

Dear Varloo,

My grandmother suggests that we take a small nail and very slightly prick on the stem of the flowering plant so it blooms. It is not a foolproof method to make it flower, however it has worked for me at times. She says it gives iron to the plant!! I don't know how far it is true, but just try giving it a shot.

Regards
    Vidya

10. sihi

sihi Senior IL'ite

Hello all,

Could not help replying to this topic. Gardening is my fav hobby too.....

Here is one more addition to the tips list :

This tip is for sensitive plants like Tulasi, Curry leaf etc. During winter months, when we have to keep our plants inside, they usually get less humidity due to the heater in the house and maynot survive. I give the plants a "head-bath" once a week to replace the humidity...I take the plant pot to the kitchen sink and give them a nice shower for 5-10mins in room-temp(not to warm) water. Leave the pots there for sometime so that the water drains out well and then keep it back in a place where it can get nice sun. Last year my Tulasi died during winter...but this year its thriving well with this procedure. My curry leaf plant is doing very well too.

I am thinking of extending this procedure to all my indoor plants as well.....keep the pot in the shower and give them a shower for 5mins.

Sihi