1. Handy Kitchen Tips that You cannot Miss : Solutions for all your Problems
    Dismiss Notice

Gardening tips please..

Discussion in 'Gardening' started by Selvi, Mar 18, 2006.

1. Varloo

Varloo Gold IL'ite

Dear Hope and Kamla,
    thanks for the encouragement. It is very tedious to do gardening and with little help from other family members, it becomes difficult. I have a man coming over whenever he pleases- he comes when I find it most inconvenient to supervise his work. And because of the heat, the plants get scorched. But his year the climate is better and it is pleasant nowadays. And today morning when I went to collect the newspaper, I collected the seeds of the Sanghu pushpam plant and to my pleasant surprise I found that there is a snake gourd of 15 cm length. I am very elated and now I have to tie that with a thread with a weight so that it grows long. And the sad part is, somebody plucked the yellow hibiscus before I could see it fully opened up.
    And see the photos of 2 varieties of hibiscus which bloomd some time back. One is light pink or baby pink with red in the center. This one is very broad one and very nice. The other one is maroon with layers of petals.
    With warm wishes,
    varloo

Attached Files:

2. Hopefloats

Hopefloats New IL'ite

wonderful!

hi varloo........your flowers were very beautiful.....keep up the good work varloo.

hopefloats

3. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

I understand!

Dear Varloo,

So you did manage to post the pics. The flowers look lovely. Sorry about the yellow Hibiscus. I am glad about your snake gourd:) Lemme know when you finally make a kozhambu of it!
    Gardening needs perseverence and it is a lot of work. I can imagine your woes when there is no help. It costs a fortune here to have a gardener. So I insist that we keep it simple as if the garden is not tended to and kept tidy, it can become a hassle.

L, Kamla

4. mohana

mohana Silver IL'ite

Hi friends,

Recently bought Tulsi plant from the temple. Can anyone give some tips to make it grow well?

regards,
    mohana.

5. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

Dear Mohana...

Best of luck with your Tulasi plant. I was given small Tulasi plants by friends. Last year, I did not have much luck with them. Don't know why, they just shrivelled up and died. I received another one about two or three months back. A friend told me that Tulasi plants like to be pinched or the leaves plucked once in a way. Well, when it was real tiny, I placed it on my kitchen window sill and it started growing, to my pleasure. Then I placed it outside and pinched off the tips here and there and it has thrived and grown pretty big. So, try your luck. Keep it in a well lit place if indoors. Ofcourse, don't forget to water it:)
    I shall now have to see if it will survive the winter months indoors.

L, Kamla

6. mohana

mohana Silver IL'ite

Dear kamala,

Thanks for your reply and wishes. In past 2 years I bought 3 tulsi plants ,my bad luck it was died.So this time follow your tips ,lets see what happen,will keep update.

Have a nice weekend.

love,
    mohana.

7. Varloo

Varloo Gold IL'ite

Hai friends,
    today I have harvested 2 snake gourds from my garden. They are nearly 85 cms long and weigh 600 gms each. I plan to cook them today itself, to eat them fresh. And there are alos some more. They can be taken in another 3 or 4 days. I will eat it on behalf of you all.
    i took it off because, it is near the gate and almost all who come are saying that I am lucky. Kannu pattudum.
    With warm wishes,

Last edited: Sep 3, 2006
  8. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

Good going...

Varloo...that is great.
    Do let us know what you made with the gourd and how it tasted. If very good, do send it by express Fedex!
    L, Kamla

9. Ami

Ami Silver IL'ite

suggestions for eggplant plants.

Hi friends,

Would like to know when is the right time to pluck out the vegetable. Mine is green in color and was told that green color should be taken out soon as they might produce lots of seeds inside; but, it tasted very good during the first time of cooking.

Now, the color is slightly changing into purple (not fully), but, not sure to take it out or not. Heard that it will go bitter, if we dont take at the right time; so, yr ideas are welcome as soon as possible.

Varloo, any idea???

Thanks..

10. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

Reaping the efforts?

Dear Ami,

Looks like you are now ready to enjoy the fruit of your toils! If I may butt in..what type of egg plant is it? As we all know, there are a huge variety of eggplants. If yours is green, then they must be ready. But you say they are turning purple, so I am wondering. Check out the pictures on the seed packet if you have it.

L, Kamla