1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Ganging Up

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by SCSusila, Aug 6, 2017.

1. SCSusila

SCSusila Gold IL'ite

I dont know if it has anything to do with the evolution of humans from apes . The simians have grouping tendencies , they form groups or gangs or tribes or families ,whatever is the technical word . And they will not allow an ape from another group into theirs .

We , humans, start noticing this Ganging mentality from school going age itself .
    In college , it becomes very pronounced . Gangs are formed based on social status , cleverness in studies , goodlooks , same language speakers , same state nativity etc.

while everyone can be friendly generally , ganging gives some sense of security to individuals. Problem comes when they start excluding others, creating divisions , avoiding others , making fun or picking quarrel with others etc. the worst is when gangs totally ignore others not in their gang , like they dint exist .

In some families of olden days , joint families , some members will gang up against a new bride . When we went to college , those days, Ragging by different gangs was a big menace .

In social gatherings too we can see ganging and ignoring others .

Now, social media is the world for many . We interact with so many . But here too people with similar tastes or status or knowledge become exclusive gangs . In WWW, everyone is an Anonymous , we only know people by what they post . Still , by analysing the posts itself, we can know their mental makeup . How people comment in response to others posts differs widely , whether they are from their " gang" or whether they are not can be seen easily .

Being nice to everyone is impossible ofcourse . Maybe , like apes , Ganging up is in our genes .

anika987 likes this.

Similar Threads
    1. lalit06
      Replies:
      Views:
  2. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

@SCSusila
    What you say may be true. Lesser beings may not have the skill to mask their distaste of others. But as human beings, we must be quite capable of hiding our hatred for a person and move in a civilised manner with him. Our life fan is limited. Why should we worry about those who don't like others? Instead we can seek the company of those who like us. There is nothing wrong in it. Strangely all these mental blocks fade away as we age. As I read in The Hindu more and more of my age group passing away, where is the time for me to dislike others? I need everyone and in abundance!

mushroomm, Amica, SCSusila and 5 others like this.
  3. PushpavalliSrinivasan

PushpavalliSrinivasan IL Hall of Fame

Dear @SCSusila

It is natural that like minded people get attracted to each other and form a group.

In my opinion the word gang is used only for people who indulge in attacking those who oppose them by word or deed.

Matured people has got nothing to do with them and they will keep away from the gangs.

As far as IL is concerned I believe members give feedbacks if they read any good post and they do not show any partiality. This is my personal opinion.

PS

SCSusila, Srama and shyamala1234 like this.
  4. HariLakhera

HariLakhera Platinum IL'ite

I think the very word 'gang' is scary. Animals move in groups for self protection. The leader is chosen for ability to protect and that has to be proven.

In schools or colleges it is just mingling of like minded or like social background students. These are peaceful groups. There are gangs in schools and colleges but they are sort of bullies and we can say some bullying type students have formed a group or counter group.

At advanced age it is like mindedness or matter of convenience. Like in a park I may be sitting with others just to kill time even though there is n like mindedness.

SCSusila and shyamala1234 like this.
  5. Nonya

Nonya Platinum IL'ite

What happens in real world, happens in social media too? Aha!
    This is the reason Abe Lincoln (or was it Ben Franklin or MK.Gandhi?) advised people not to believe everything we see/read on the internet.
    Of course? Well...We are a spicy sort, no? Not all apes can be Bonobo.

SCSusila and Cheeniya like this.
  6. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

@SCSusila,

Like-minded people getting together to form an association or work in the common interest of everyone is acceptable social norm in the society. By nature, we get excited to meet a person speaking our mother tongue in a foreign country. The chances of us smiling improves if we see someone who is wearing a typical Indian outfit/dress while waiting for a change over flight in Europe. If we meet someone who goes to the same Temple, Church, Mosque, etc., we spend more time with them. In the US, Vietnamese, Chinese, Japanese, Koreans, Indonesians and people from many other countries form associations for the well-being of people from their mother country, Indians form association for Tamils, Keralites, Gujaratis, Maratis, Punjabis, etc.

As others said here, as long as they are grouping together for the well-being of that group, everything is okay. At the same time, a group is formed to hate another group, it is a problem. As far as IL is concerned, I noticed many have given invaluable contributions for others to learn from. Comrades do exist within IL but they don't gang up to hurt others, unless someone is saying something that is socially unacceptable. I agree words could be powerful firearm to hurt others but to the extent possible, people are much more refined in IL.

If everyone has universal consciousness, the world will cease to exist as the life's purpose is to learn from their experience and get that universal consciousness.

Viswa

7. SCSusila

SCSusila Gold IL'ite

PushpavalliSrinivasan likes this.