1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Gangajal, Or One Day In The Life Of An Unknown Indian

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by ojaantrik, Jul 29, 2017.

1. ojaantrik

ojaantrik IL Hall of Fame

Dear Guru,

Age is doing things to both of us. We had agreed long back in time that In Search of Solitude was the best piece of literary creation mankind had ever come across. It continues to be so till date and matters will not change in the future. Its author is the most unnoticed genius outside my circle. We also agreed that what you can express in the form of a simple but pointed one-liner, takes me more than a hundred words to "summarize". And this is probably an underestimate.

You are the one who should be writing columns in the literary supplements of well-known dailies. As far as I know, R.K. had started out writing in the Hindu. You could have done so too. But your total commitment to IL holds your energy on leash.

Note further that I need to keep revising endlessly many times whatever trash I write , while your
    Nothing on earth
    Let's not argue anymore on this issue. The thing was settled in the past and neither you nor I can travel back to the past to rewrite the agreement. Don't renege, unless you wish me to fly over to Chennai and settle things face to face. I will carry a stick with me, now that you carry one as well. It will not just be a war of words.

You have acquired this habit of arguing out cases long after the final judgements have been delivered in your favour. As I was telling Satchi, I had once observed that you were the greatest authority on Wodehouse that I knew. And then, instead of agreeing with me, you began to argue that there was no mistake in what I had found out. You are the only lawyer I know who keeps on defending a case after winning them.

Have you been doing this all your life, or is it a recent geriatric manifestation? What worries me is that you are infecting me with similar propensities. Only the other day, I found myself arguing with a shop owner in Park Circus Market that I owed him Rs. 1050/= when he insisted that the sum in question was Rs. 915/= only. He made me quite angry by refunding the balance as he was handing over the commodities I had purchased.

"You are forcing me to cheat you," I yelled at him.

"No, you are the one who is forcing me to cheat you," he yelled back.

We kept shouting till a crowd gathered ready to pull up the shop owner for mistreating a Senior Citizen. The situation was pretty grave and to escape being manhandled, he explained to the crowd the arithmetic in support of his position. The crowd appeared to understand what he said, but I didn't, given my poor command over numbers. They let him off. They let me off as well, but the way they kept staring at me made me feel uncomfortable.

And now you have begun to attack my already over-exhausted brain, or whatever minuscule substance resides inside my skull. My non-existent grandson is not even a doctor. Who's going to look after me?

Cruelty, thy name is Cheeniya. Sob, sob ...

oj

Last edited: Aug 3, 2017
  2. ojaantrik

Thank you PS for letting me call you PS. :blush:

Unfortunately, I do not know the meaning of the word Pashenka. Pashenka is a character in a Tolstoy story, Father Sergius. She is a simple person who reveals great wisdom and shows the light to a great man groping about in the darkness of life. She helps him finally understand what life is all about.

Best regards.

ojaantriCk.

3. ojaantrik

Dear Balajee,

Quite right. In fact, I am hopeful that the Postal Deparment knows God's address, now that it has taken to selling Gangajal instead of stamps. I was surprised, mind you, to see Gangajal on sale in a post office. Perhaps this is common knowledge. I had no idea though.

Best regards.

oj

4. PushpavalliSrinivasan

PushpavalliSrinivasan IL Hall of Fame

Dear Mr Ojaantrik,
    I have not read 'Father Sergius' though I have read many other stories of Tolstoy. Pashenka seems to be a good charecter and I wonder why @viji didn't accept it.
    PS

ojaantrik likes this.
  5. ojaantrik

Dear PS,

Viji accepted, but forgot who she was

ojC

6. Iravati

Iravati Platinum IL'ite

@ojaantrik

Not a snippet but a blog, does that elicit not a feedback but a review? Just kidding. The style has notably changed and any discerning eye can spot that. I have to admit that a blog has a graceful languor than a hurried snippet. There is more soundscape and metaphors and wordplay in the blog.

There, there, you do realise that you cranked up a whimsy metaphor there, something that escapes even the most creative souls. I hate it when I cannot tease apart such imaginative constructs and box them and click a jumbo like on it. I am trying my best here to tell you that of course! it is a blog, a rung above the snippets and you have demonstrated it.

Your choice to listen to Schubert while waiting out in the queue piques me. Why Schubert, why not Liszt or Mussorgsky. Is Schubert a foil to our Perry Mason? He does come across as a tolerant companion who calmly endured the machinations in an unpredictable queue. He is definitely a solace in that ongoing confusion. Did he inspire to turn a seemingly humdrum act of queuing into a lyrical narrative? Surely, Schubert was another of the phantom queuer who was equally mindful of the goings-on as he didn't meekly whine but angrily protested. I don't think our Liszt or Mussorgsky would have mustered such solidarity. Schubert's claim to fame was his composition in the form of lied. If Schubert could transmute poetry into music, it ought to be that contagious talent of that shrieking homunculus in your pocket who inspired to transform your experience into a blog. Where next after Perry Mason and Schubert? Where will this Gangajal trail lead to in the reborn world of blogs? I liked this blog format. It brings out more of you.

ojaantrik likes this.
  7. ojaantrik

@Iravati
    First, let me thank you for this thoughtful comment

I was not sure myself if I had been able to bring about a stylistic change, however imperceptible. But I did give it a try, since I didn't know what I had been after for the last few years that I had been writing on the net. I wanted to figure out what it was that I was cooking. The fact was that I was adding all the spices in my cupboard to produce a dish that was hard to identify, even if not entirely inedible. Cheeniya refused to criticise me, which made my work ever more difficult.

You appear to have noticed a change now and, to that extent, my goal is partially fulfilled. Partially, yes, since this is the first time I tried to write what I thought a blog was as opposed to a snippet or, for that matter, any other emerging prose forms.

I had tried my hand for a few months on flash fiction and that brought in a whole lot of feed backs here. It made people happy (except Cheeniya, I am almost certain) because they had less to read. Or so I think. I gave it up, even if some liked it. I was personally dissatisfied. And I kept searching, till I recalled that Kamal invariably referred to what he wrote as blogs.

What was a blog, I asked myself and, for once, I didn't google it up. I tried to define it for myself, following Kamal's choice of topics. I could have emulated Cheeniya too, but I didn't think he wrote blogs. He calls them "ramblings". I am not sure that I agree that he is a rambler, being a great admirer of his style. Well, whatever he means by rambling, I refuse to accept his writing as examples of blogs. His best piece (in my opinion), In Search of Solitude, is not a blog. It is the Kohinoor in the IL crown, which one can kneel in front of. My way of kneeling is to make that piece my homepage in the computer. But I refuse to accept it as a blog.

And then I went out in search of a blog that didn't mind revealing its internal dynamics as well as beauty to me. I came across it here: Why I miss my less-cash days . I found a few others by the same author. After this there was no going back. I cannot define a blog, but I know one when I come across it.

Academic researches believe that more that half the battle is won once you land an interesting problem. Then you go ahead and produce variations in the way you approach the problem. If the problem is truly a good catch, then you are settled for the rest of your life. I think the same observation applies to literature. A great author finds a nagging problem to analyse first and then goes on to dress it up in the form of novels and stories. I believe this was surely true of Tolstoy and Dostoyevsky, but it is not true of most of the authors I come across these days. Many of them do not attract me. I can't see the struggling search in their works.

I don't know how to thank you enough for these lines. I really don't know why I caught on to Erle Stanley Gardener. It could well be on account of the titles of his novels, such as Perry Mason -- Case of the Drowsy Mosquito. Not that I was ever a Stanley Gardener fan. So, the expression "Case of the" surfaced from deep down the bottom of Lethe. For good or bad, I used it. Then I dropped it. Then I reintroduced it. Thanks for your jumbo "like".
    That certainly was a faus pas. How could Schubert ever be a foil to Perry Mason? That was indeed a questionable act. I have no explanation for it except to tell you that my mind was not working and I resorted to a random click. But once the music started, I couldn't exactly turn it off either. Besides, I am not particularly familiar with Liszt of Mussorgsky. Added them to my things to do list though.

Could that be the case? Hmm... I am wondering. Was it Schubert who showed me the way? Could well be the case.
    Undoubtedly so.
    I don't think I would have selected a lieder even if they tied my eyes. A vocal performance, even if accompanied by a piano or whatever, was the last thing that could have brought me peace of mind inside that heat and dust filled post office. By the way, you really think it was a homunculus that sat inside my pocket? I am staring at my Pixel phone right now and worrying.

I wish I knew the answer to the question. You might have guessed that the composition has undergone a good deal of changes by now. I tried to reduce its length somewhat, among other things. It rests now in my website hoping that someone someday will notice it. By mistake.

Best regards.

oj

Last edited: Aug 8, 2017
  8. Iravati

Iravati Platinum IL'ite

@ojaantrik

Sorry for the delay. For such an elaborate response, I didn't want to merely toss a garbled reply. I had to shake up and exercise my calcified brain. Deferred it to the weekend.

Second, let me re-thank you for such an interactive response.

The change is perceptible to me atleast. Having read few of your blogs in the past, the marked difference is the gait in that style. Earlier it was a literary trot but now a literary stroll, hence I mentioned that this blog format brings out more of you. Cheeniya is a sweet person who insists on not a mean word to even a fly. Why would you expect any form of criticism from him. Again, why criticism? Reminds me of the toastmasters sandwich-styled creed of reviewing a speech where criticism is flanked by twin praise. I don't know what change you are looking for but there is a definite bend in tone and noticeable might of expressions in this blog.

You can further experiment with this form and see if it suits your needs. I know that feeling of evasiveness. Something is amiss and it is usually with our own work rather than other's produce. We find something jarring but we cannot pinpoint the location. Personally, I liked this style.

Woh! You seem to have wielded your hand at quite a few styles. I haven't followed the flash fiction series but for a person of your taste, flash fiction may seem tad stifling. The riff on Schubert in this blog is inconceivable in flash fiction because such animated motif requires the fermentation of creative juices which can only be demonstrated in this unhurried blog format. This fermented play and humour will be lost in chop-chop economical diction.

That linked blog is twofold. The first part introduces the theme and the second part seemingly breaks away until both are welded back in below scene.

“Regretfully, no,” I answered. “But I can tell your fortune if you like. Just show me your hand and I’ll trace your life line, your head line, and your heart line.”
    “No, no,” she said hastily. “It’s all right. I just thought you looked like him.”
    “I won’t charge anything,” I added, as an afterthought; she was probably short of cash. But she had hurried away. I don’t think she trusted palmists.

That "I added, as an afterthought; she was probably short of cash." is Ruskin Bond's tic in storytelling. He will weave together seemingly disjointed plots. Others do tell stories but he does it better than rest! With that one sentence, he brought out three things (1) Humour (2) Connect (3) Unity. He nicely folded back the straying plot. And the end is striking! But then that's Ruskin Bond. I think I get what you are trying to tell me and why you referred to this blog.

I am not into heavy weight literature so bear with me here. Literary styles are generational, so are narrative styles. Realism or Fantasias were the product of their times. The technique you described of initially pinning a subject and then dressing it up in one's signatory writing could have been in vogue of the yore. Today, there is greater scope for experimentation and radicalisation. Genres are blended, styles are mashed up, there is more creative liberty. We have receptive audience for every avant-garde style. Last night I was reading Lu Xun's The Real Story of Ah-Q. I don't want to go into details but it's a completely different crossed-over style. Snippet, flash fiction, blog, or a fusion of any of these styles should yield your desirable reckoning in writing. Once you find your niche, as they say, three quarters of the problem is solved.

ojaantrik likes this.
  9. ojaantrik

@Iravati

Sorry for this unpardonable delay in responding to your thoughtful observations. I don't have anything useful to say right now either. I am struggling with ideas and only when I succeed in producing my next piece will I be ready to resume conversation, should you be in a mood to converse.

At this stage, let me point out that I agree with you about the trinity you spoke of in connection with Bond. What you call unity, I call "completing the circle". I try my level best to stick to the circle, but in the case of the present composition, I failed. Nonetheless, I put it up, knowing as I did that this was not the final version. I tried to make amends in my website, but I am not yet satisfied.

There is yet another problem that bothers me. Word length. For the genre I am after, 1500 should be the upper bound. I failed here too.

But I will be back I think.

oj

10. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

I didn't have to wait much longer My Gangajal prayer had worked wonders. The girl handed over the receipt to me with somewhat somnambulently and I rushed towards the Gangajal kiosk to stick to the promise I had made to God, only to discover that the lady in charge of Gangajal had vanished herself! The kiosk stood in darkness, its door locked.[/QUOTE]

Last edited: Aug 22, 2017