1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Gangajal, Or One Day In The Life Of An Unknown Indian

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by ojaantrik, Jul 29, 2017.

1. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

Dear OJ-da, I had a fit of ROFL reading your 'blog'. 'Blog' or 'snippet' regardless, the net effect on the readers is the same. A fit of laughter accompanied by salt water flowing the cheeks!!!

I seriously pictured you as the hapless Wooster accosted by Roderick Spode (aka Snarly!) who vowed to break his spine in 11 places (?) if I remember right and to jump on the remains ..... or of Tennyson 'cannons to right of them, cannons to left of them'. It might as well have been 'invisible Spode in front of Jeeves, invisible Spode behind Jeeves' ....

I marvel at your ability to be able to think up something funny when in standing in one of those infernal queues. And Gangajal! Seriously! I wish there were someone I could tell to buy the smaller bottle to be administered to me at the appropriate time!

Absolutely amazing as always!

ojaantrik likes this.
  2. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Hahaha. So you stand in a queue and plan your snippets. I don't know yaar- what does it matter blog or snippet! No one can imitate your style OJ. So you had two invisible people in front of you and behind you and then the edit option of your post became invisible! Why are people hiding from you OJ?
    Superb
    Regards
    Kamal

Last edited: Aug 2, 2017
    shyamala1234 and ojaantrik like this.
  3. PushpavalliSrinivasan

PushpavalliSrinivasan IL Hall of Fame

Dear Mr Ojaantrik,
    As I have said I have come back again.
    Your blogs or snippets whatever you call it, should be read leisurely to enjoy and draw the essence of it. The words like snarlie you coin are amazing. The visible and invisible men between whom you were sandwiched did not make you lose your patience. It shows you are a peace loving person.
    It is really heartwarming that the internet providers Come to our rescue when we stand in a long serpentine queue hours at a stretch. You are a keen observer of your surroundings and that's why you are able to bring it in your bogs with wit and wisdom.
    PS

ojaantrik likes this.
  4. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

My dear OJ
    What can I say! In my pre-stroke days, I would have replied to this blog or snippet with a 1000 word inanity as is my wont. I have always endeavoured to match your size of writing if not your style. The latter is in any case beyond me. I really wonder why you write blogs or snippets when you should be a full time columnist in a newspaper of repute with publishers queuing in front of you to acquire publishing rights. The web page that you have built for your essays in English and Bengali makes me suffer from a terrible complex. If you ever plan to start a School of Writing, I would be the very first to enrol.
    Every time I read a blog or snippet of yours, I am glad to have named my page as Senile Rambling. Senility shines best when it is expressed through rambling. Mine is like the moving finger that writes without any idea of what is writing. Reading this current blog or snippet of yours has made me highly self conscious. I can never reach your summit but can only go around it with great devotion like a Giri Pradakshan of holy hills.
    Nobody can weave their words in such lovely and intricate design that reminds us of the Muslin which your place pioneered.
    I feel blessed to be part of a team of which you are the uncrowned leader. It will take me several more years to come anywhere near your style and substance but is there any harm in trying?
    Sri

5. ojaantrik

ojaantrik IL Hall of Fame

Dear Satchi,

I have to frankly admit that I was missing your views and, once again, God answered my prayers. I must go there and buy the Gangajal. Can't take this God chap for granted. But Sushila believes that God will be pleased with me anyway. Hope she is correct.

I wonder what Guru Cheeniya is doing. You have brought in Wooster and compared his predicament with mine. And Guru, who is the ultimate authority on Wodehouse, doesn't even know! He is most sensitive about his Wodehouse connection. I had once written a post in which I brought up one of Wodehouse's lesser known novels, Summer Moonshine. I had said that even if no one else had read it, Guru couldn't possibly be a no one else. And lo and behold! He wrote an fb which started out with first things first. He almost charged me of making allegations against him. He insisted that he had read Summer Moonshine, not once, not twice, but a million times. He insisted on this when I had already insisted that he had read the book. Guru refused to be pacified. We quarreled for several months, each one of us asserting that there was no difference of opinion between us. :boxing:

But with Guru's eye ailment, he may not notice your delightful reference to Wodehouse, topped off with Tennyson's cannons. You created a difficult situation though. Try and imagine a poor septuagenarian flanked by cannons to the left and right and threatened by Spodes from front and behind. Simultaneously mind you.

As always, I began lamenting as soon as the edit option disappeared. There were typos and, worse, an incorrect usage of the English language. I said somnambulantly, when I meant somnolently. I am scared. These days IL is inhabited by vigilantes who teach you how to write. :nono:

Incidentally, why don't you call up the Guru and read out your fb and my response to you. I could do it myself too, but I am not sure if I should try. His daughter informed me that he had demanded to speak to oj over the phone while he was recovering at the nursing home and then decided to go to sleep instead. He might well begin to snore if I spoke to him. :sleeping1:I think I need to pay him yet another visit to Chennai to make him talk to me.

Thanks Satchi for your lovely fb. And also for introducing me to the acronym ROFL. You have the advantage of youth over me. :cheer:

oj-da

Last edited: Aug 2, 2017
    satchitananda and shyamala1234 like this.
  6. ojaantrik

Quite right Kamal. Why on earth are they hiding from me? Here is one of my recent photographs. Does it scare you? Would you run away from me, like the man with the umbrella?

bhoy peo na.jpg

I wasn't exactly thinking about a blog at the post office, but after I safely arrived home, I thought of you. What might Kamal have to say about similar experiences? I concluded that he was likely to come up with a blog. And then I thirsted to write a blog instead of a snippet. I am not sure what the difference between the two is. But Gangajal is a blog I think.

This reminds me of Graham Greene (the one who introduced R.K. Narayan to the world). I am one of his die-hard fans. He used to write two kinds of books, Novels and Entertainments. I am thinking of imitating him now onwards. I will call my posts Snippets or Blogs, even though I don't know clearly what the difference between the two is. Nonetheless, it could constitute a sort of variety, which some believe to be an essential component of life!

Best wishes, good friend.

oj

Kamalji likes this.
  7. ojaantrik

Dear PS,

Good to see that your iPad stands recharged.

You are absolutely right. I don't keep my eyes open all the time, but sometimes I do. And when I do, I invariably notice the interesting twists and turns of life. One can write a story simply by watching the way shopkeepers are adjusting to GST. They have lost their confidence and employed persons to keep track of their sales on computers and produce receipts bearing the stamps of CGST and SGST. It is hilarious, I assure you.

I am not sure whether I will feel humorous if I were to be sent to the gallows, or see my home broken into. But then, who knows! The Bengali poet Kazi Nazrul Islam had written a poem about the martyrs who sang from the gallows while being hanged. Of course, I am no martyr, nor am I likely to be. I am sure to s*** in my pants if you were to even hit me with a money plant.

Best wishes.

oj

PS: Incidentally, do you mind if I called you Postscript? A cute name in my opinion. I had found a name for Viji too. It was Pashenka. But Viji keeps forgetting why I called her Pashenka. She prefers to be called Viji I think.

8. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

None of us would even have noticed, leave alone realized the difference between the two. So what does it matter?

ojaantrik likes this.
  9. PushpavalliSrinivasan

PushpavalliSrinivasan IL Hall of Fame

Quote:
    @ojaantrik

PS: Incidentally, do you mind if I called you Postscript? A cute name in my opinion. I had found a name for Viji too. It was Pashenka. But Viji keeps forgetting why I called her Pashenka. She prefers to be called Viji I think.

Dear Mr Ojaantrik,

What is in a name? I don't mind if you address me as PostScript.

I want to know the meaning of pseudonym you gave to Viji.

I want to remind you one thing. Once By mistake I addressed you as Mr Ojaantrick and you got annoyed. Now I am very careful while typing names and make sure I type the right spelling.

Ha ha ha, I am just joking.

IL has given us the liberty to write joviously as long as we don't hurt anybody's feelings.

Postscript

ojaantrik likes this.
  10. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

Did you offer gangajal to God? Only god is resistant to all the germs and chemicals in that polluted water (5th most polluted river in the world). Don't try to cheat him. He likes his polluted "holy" water.

ojaantrik likes this.