Gabfest: And Thereby Hangs A Tail

Discussion in 'Education & Personal Growth' started by Cimorene, Jan 9, 2017.

1. Iravati

Iravati Platinum IL'ite

The synchronization between your eyes shut and open is no different to mine. I too like meat and esp. kebabs, the likes of kakori and galouti. Never tried at home but reckon they need expertise and best when had piping hot in famed restaurants of Chandni Chowk. I leave such planning and preparation to those skilled bawarchis.

2. Iravati

Iravati Platinum IL'ite

I have the leisure and curiosity and a slinky blender now for pastes in my life. So I slow-cook while watching a bindaas Finnish movie. Here's cauliflower fry, bindi and mango curry, and egg burji for lunch. Also, I have no fussy kids to complain, "Mom, bindi and mango, yuk, instead you could have thrown us some decent broccoli". I am baroque in my cooking and experimentation. Jo dil chala , wahi cook huh!

upload_2018-2-18_17-39-19.png

Last edited: Feb 18, 2018
    Thyagarajan likes this.
  3. Iravati

Iravati Platinum IL'ite

I told once, there are men and then there is Thyagi because your arrival and diction is catchy. You stand apart because of your chirpy writing.

There is no erudition or diction in me. I am a hotchpotch of words I pick up in personal conversations and sitcoms. I am prolly the reflection of my cohorts. I have mentioned this several times in IL, I talk and chat but my friends talk and chat better than me. Imitation is the best form of learning. I learn by imitating and pilfering vocabulary and style from them. My own writing is a pastiche over their refined writing. Hence I have always insisted, the company you keep reflects in you and builds you. End of my pompous cant!

4. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Viswa, that is a very comprehensive compilation. It deserves and needs a thread and discussion stream of its own. Can you create a separate thread and post the list there? It will get lost in the Meditation Club thread in the midst of questions, thoughts, experiences all post on meditation. Also, it can be difficult for people to remember to comment in the snippet itself rather than in the Meditation Club thread if comment is not relevant to Meditation Club.

Viswamitra likes this.
  5. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

I sure will. Do you think posting it in Snippet section is more appropriate as all of them were either written as a snippet or my own blog? Please share your thoughts.

Viswa

6. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

:hello:Absolutely and it is more true of persons right from their impressionable age and continue to remain hungry of learning and observing others in conversation not necessarily with the selves.
    2.The suggestion to learn is subtle but your words educative indeed.
    Thanks and Regards.
    I am not sure whether you are theist. Anyway, I wish as I Always do for other IL’ites -
    God Bless Us All Always.

7. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

:hello:Mouth watering on mat aesthetic presentation palatable. Yes I am tad gourmet.
    Thanks.

8. Iravati

Iravati Platinum IL'ite

I grew up in a religious milieu amidst practising gatherings. My family and friends are believers, but I only watch their observances from afar till prasaad is handed out. I am exposed to prayers, God, faith and religion though I don’t indulge. Food after the prayers, I never miss. Please don’t hesitate, continue with your warm and thoughtful sign off. More than piety, it outshines as goodwill towards your friends.

Thyagarajan likes this.
  9. Iravati

Iravati Platinum IL'ite

@Thyagarajan

Here's something for you, Thyagi. You had written a post on Lakumi and her daring thwack with a follow-up discussion on mythology and cows. Cows in mythology are resourceful creatures who foil the demons with their compassionate milk and horns and other produce. That conversation reminded me of another tale of black goods and not white goods in mythology. I thought of mentioning it back then as a descant but feared it might sully the chaste thread.

Like Manu in Indian Mythology, Kintu is the first man in the creation myth of Uganda. He lived with his cow on earth while the God Ggulu resided in the heaven. Ggulu had many children who visited earth on a lark. One day, his daughter Nambi saw Kintu and fell in love with him. Kintu also decided to marry her. But as harrowingly depicted in that Edwin Henry Landseer's painting, Man Proposes but God Disposes, God initially disapproved of Kintu's desire. Later, God Ggulu gave Kintu a task which is to carry water in a woven basket to his house. But woven basket has holes. Tada! Our cow came to the rescue. Kintu smeared cow dung to the woven basket to caulk the holes. He accomplished the task and married Nambi and bred children. Thus, flourished Kintu, the first man, and his tribe. Full mythology here with further explanation on how misery and earthquakes came about in Uganda.

I love such tales! Tales not shining in white milk but also imaginative with black dung.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2018
  10. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

@Iravati,

After seeing all your dishes, I wonder whether I wasted my time researching the mind instead of exploring my culinary skills. That Cauliflower, Bindi and Mango curry looks very colorful and yummy. Sometimes, they look like the color of a national flag of some country. The cooking has become revolutionized thanks to the technology introduction. Instant pot, Slow cooker, Rotimatic, etc. has revolutionized the cooking. When I heard the inventor of Instant Pot read everyone of the comments in social media about Instant Pot, a thought came to my mind that even though he invented instant pot, he is still looking for a good recipe from someone that he could prepare himself.

I am tired of giving IL Watson awards to you!

Viswa