Gabfest: And Thereby Hangs A Tail

Discussion in 'Education & Personal Growth' started by Cimorene, Jan 9, 2017.

1. Iravati

Iravati Platinum IL'ite

I haven't read any material on FOMO but I have heard the acronym. I take great delight in the many-world theory that extends the implication of the Copenhagen Interpretation of the wave collapse, which subdues my anxiety on missing out on the unexperienced.

Say, there are all kinds of possibilities that could happen this very moment.

(1) Ira types a reply to Rihana.
    (2) Ira reads the post and ignores.
    (3) Ira does not read the post.
    (4) There is no Ira on IL.

Everything that can physically materialise is unfolding in some cellular universe in a multiverse. I find such fantastical reasoning very assuring that I am not missing out anything. In the prime spacetime, I am just collapsed to experience an instance of reality and every such collapse in parallel universes is rendering plausible and distinct instances of the superimposed reality. I might have missed out my chance on marrying Cary Grant in this universe but, behold, we had three kids and a shar pei to boot in another parallel universe. More here.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2018
  2. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

@Iravati,

I like our informal conversations even if it is in unvarnished tone. It takes a lot of effort to make me upset on anything anyone communicates with me here in IL leave alone a friend who is as articulate as you. I was not talking about myself on the chain of communications above. Please feel free to write to me as you please and I have no constraints.

What makes you think I can't indulge in reading wonderful love stories? There is a definite difference between what I am comfortable writing about vs what I would like to read. QPQ is becoming like a book with interesting interactions between elite personalities. Terrifying Soka is an uphill task. He is generally cool like a cucumber. I will keep an eye on QPQ.

Viswa

3. Iravati

Iravati Platinum IL'ite

The only drawback is the knuckle up. I hate typing. If you and I were phone-level friends, then I would squeal away more informal: did you watch Mrs Maisel and those cultural references ..like that Dionne Quintuplets and all those Yiddish words. I am more a talker than a typer. Though it is a hushed matter that when I talk you don't get a chance to talk. I would hog the cable and rapture away in my ecstasy of unrelated and outlandish themes. The intimacy shared with our real and immediate friends is different from that we share with our online mates. With online mates, we connect over a topic and disperse. That is the only drawback where regular visitors require sustained conversations to bond over online.

I have noticed that.

Love stories is not my forte so I ventured out boldly where no sane person in IL has wracked before. To write about a goofy and mindless and chittery couple who knock over each other's witticisms. Also, writing for an audienceless board is amazing! You can warp the storyline (if there is one) as you like and few pages down you can flex the characters to your fancy and no one would cry foul of their literary integrity.

Tell me about it. It was a whim borne in an informal transcendence from the original topic that we forged the QPQ alliance of ramblers; he the Jedi and I the Padawan learning the ropes of slapstick ramble. Usually, my cloudy thoughts never take to the floor. They implode in an introverted bubble. But, I must confess that QPQ is an enriching outlet to offload my stream of consciousness with a simpatico who shares common interests like movies of the yore and animal trivia. And we both love sloth! Anybody who admires a sloth is my friend for life by virtue of that languid taste.

He is composed, dignified and latinised in all his convos and salvos alike. He is pretty chilled about his wanderings here. He was the one who got me interested in literary criticism and his links and references are worth the click. Moreover, he is my accomplice in all these marches and protests on typesetting of the online ink. Perhaps he is the only concerned sympathiser with my special needs and requisitions to Jey to transform this forum into a speech-to-text plug mate. Jey, I am marching next on that STT feature!

In general:

It is strange how we come across people in a chance encounter who we never would have crossed path with, owing to distance or affinity, but when we do criss-cross with those voices and compositions that are so divergent from ours, yet are impressive, we better make that effort to assimilate the inspiring aspects of them and turn that encounter into a worthwhile adventure.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2018
    Viswamitra likes this.
  4. justanothergirl

justanothergirl IL Hall of Fame

Amica, kkrish and kaniths like this.
  5. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Anyone used ProfessorWord (PW)? You install it in the Chrome Browser by simply dragging a button to the bookmarks bar. Then, when surfing any webpage, you can click on the bookmark and it will run PW on the page, highlighting certain moderate or very difficult words. Click on the highlight to immediately see the meaning in a discreet and dismissable pop-up.

I picked an IL page at random (a post by Iravati) : ). Attached pictures of running PW on that page. You can also click on any word in the page and see the meaning in the pop-up. The green pop-up box also has clickable links directly going to the word's meaning in Google, Merriam-Webster and dictionary.com.

A small catch I discovered after it failed on a few websites. Doesn't work for https pages.

Attached Files:

• pw.PNG
      pw.PNG
      File size:
      400.6 KB
      Views:
    • pw2.PNG
      pw2.PNG
      File size:
      424.6 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2018
  6. Iravati

Iravati Platinum IL'ite

I have heard it for the first time. Promising! I may want to use it on Vladimir Nabokov’s essays. That man writes like he swallowed ten large-sized thesaurus.

In the same token, I am impressed with these clean-read plugins in various browsers. Here’s one: Introducing Reading View in IE 11

But I am more interested in the below feature to aggregate the “next” links and render in a single page. I hate when listicles are split across pages as you cannot view the outline in one shot. I have to explore these aggregate plugins. If you know one, let me know.

No more “Next, Next, Next…” links
    There are many articles on the Web that contain multiple and separate pages content. That means you have to click a “Next Page” link to continue reading, sometimes again and again, if the article spans many pages – and then you have to wait for each successive page to load, thus interrupting your reading experience.

Reading view in IE 11 combines the primary content from all pages of an article into a single continuously scrolling page that works great on any device. No need to click those “next page” links. Instead you can just use your finger or your mouse to scroll as you read. You get to have full control the position of the text on the screen.

Rihana likes this.
  7. kaniths

kaniths IL Hall of Fame

You solved the greatest puzzle of what I'm just like that! :sweatsmile::facepalm:

And, 'you are your typos'! :lol:

Lol! Cheers to us! :beer-toast1:

ashima10 likes this.
  8. ashima10

ashima10 Platinum IL'ite

Isn't it amazing how non sense can make so much sense :)

You really leaving ? and if comfortable can i have the timelines of your exit. ( the husband with minimalist expectation is tuff ! 1 suitcase that too from the place known for shopping BRAVO !)

kaniths likes this.
  9. kaniths

kaniths IL Hall of Fame

Silly! :buenrollo: :smash2:

There is time. Hmm.. max this September. :cheer:

Ha ha I know! :argue: :nut: :scream: :shakehead: :partyhat: :lol:

So, how have you been? Hugs.

10. ashima10

ashima10 Platinum IL'ite

since your messages are not open .I am inviting you for Ira's 1st happy birthday :) in March .
    details once you open the message :)
    and sorry for you know what :) just got sissy!

kaniths and Gauri03 like this.