Gabfest: And Thereby Hangs A Tail

Discussion in 'Education & Personal Growth' started by Cimorene, Jan 9, 2017.

1. Iravati

Iravati Platinum IL'ite

I am exasperatingly reflective by nature not on the distanced bygones or the uncertain future but the immediacy of the present. What can be done now? I am also readily impressed when I sight a catchy trait in someone. One of those reflections in my online indulgence has been — how to write like ‘x’, think like ‘y’, and conduct like ‘z’. That urge nagged me for a while every time I interacted or swung by online with x and y and z. There’s a remarkable style and voice in each of them.

I wouldn’t lionize any of their prominence as unattainable or ingratiate with a snivelling tone of their cultivated and favoured manners because their demeanour though formidable was still aspirable. It takes persistence and diligence to work one’s way to something you aspire to be one day. Do I want it? Yes. When we gun for something, we don’t unsparingly want to match it, we only intend to graft it into our own identity with an offshoot that matches the impression you harboured for them. Online is a strange diaspora! You would not have looked for inspiration in the cocktail giggles of a social forum, neither was I looking for you, but as fate would have it, I initially found mine here.

The difference between other admirers /observers and me is that others fleet away after a cursory and rapturous admiration for someone, whereas I linger and tease apart the very stimulus for that attraction and study the underlying phenomenon and assimilate tacit pointers from that person’s stint. Why? Not sure. May be I have the time and inclination to squander away my resources to do that in my life, or I am irrationally self-motivated and obsessively comparative and easily inspired.

Though “read iravati’s responses” undoubtedly merits the gratitude of a bowing or planked emoji, I would rather want people to seek and uplift the long-lasting and striking and motivated sentiment from anyone’s embedded writing to momentarily been swayed by the same person’s expeditious diction. Online is a great place to be challenged and cured of our fallacies and shortcomings even with a fitful and marginal engagement, notwithstanding the abundant and already stated inspiration.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2018
    Rihana likes this.
  2. Viswamitra

Viswamitra IL Hall of Fame

That one line comment of mine didn't justify what all I enjoy when I read your responses. It is just not diction but many more. I like the openness, subtle content, creative suggestions, crystal clear analysis, expression that conveys thought more than unnecessary words of praises and intent to clear unnecessary fallacies.

I agree online is a great place to be challenged and cured of our fallacies and shortcomings even with a fitful and marginal engagement but as long as it is done with courtesy and respect for the individuals with language carefully chosen, it is a great learning experience in a cordial setting.

Viswa

3. Iravati

Iravati Platinum IL'ite

I have thought about this poise in approach of not only being assertive and playful likewise in my interactions but the balancing act of that “assertiveness” and “playfulness” straddling two antipodal forums — one predominated by soft-spoken members and the other proliferated by hardboiled beasts.

In the soft-spoken community (IL), I am mindful of whipping up marked-up politeness lest I unwittingly alienate someone, however, the natural me is more comfortable with the boisterous and resilient beasts and their unreserved discussions in the hard-boiled forum. I lapse here and there even when I am conscious of the code-switch and at times the mark-up is still deficit and deemed irresponsible.

In IL, as I overlappingly tend to relapse towards a more austere voice acquired from my other indulgence, elsewhere, when I inject surplus gratitude or an ingratiating emoji or a superfluous compliment, I am given that boo-hoo penalty card. Don’t be such a wimp.

One day I might master how to balance both the voices and acts. But I just want to let you know that what you see here is a tenderised and emasculated tone of an otherwise more rough and beastly voice. If I had used my considerably dripping and gratifying IL voice elsewhere, I would be teased for being obscenely mawkish in the form of redundant politeness. Ira, what is this slushy tone, please get your act together. Strip those sweet excesses.

There’s no way one could hold a discussion on Ta-Nehisi Coates —Cornel West feud in community forums, despite the sensitivity of the matter, in a mollycoddled tone. Certain discussions warrant a spartan and disinterested tone to honour the integrity of a topic more than the frilly niceties to gratify the deviant personal insecurities evinced between the participants in a forum. That C-W is just an example.

I am teased that my online voice is willowy and unnecessarily conciliatory elsewhere. One day, I might balance: soft-spoken here and hardline there.

Note, I am extremely restrained now of the language, tone, words, topics (nah! not worth the ink) here. However, keep in mind that we come from backgrounds and bearings which are vastly different. Let’s say, I come from a slightly rough and uncouth milieu. Kya karen, everyone says it suits my feral personality, and makes me vaguely attractive to boot. Heh!

Last edited: Jan 17, 2018
  4. Viswamitra

@Iravati,

We both went to a different school. For me to get that kind of vocabulary, I have to wait for another life. Moreover, in the evening of my life, I am looking at my rough edges and trying to eliminate them. I can stop telling my way to you so that you don't have to be two different personalities. Nothing will make me not excited about the content and eloquence in everyone of your post.

Viswa

5. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

: ) : )

6. Iravati

Iravati Platinum IL'ite

We are oriented differently not owing to our age gap but our cultural affinity.

It is easy for me to respond to

(1) as,

Thank you so much. I am extremely humbled and greatly overwhelmed by your magnanimous gesture and the glory conferred on me from such kind and encouraging words. I am in tears with this emotional swell. I cannot thank you enough for the compliment granted to me. I don't know what to say. I am deeply moved. I still have miles or light years to go. I have only conquered a drop in the ocean, I still have the immense ocean to ride on. I am elated at such personal acclaim. Thank you so much.

(2) though it is natural for me to respond as,

Matey, it is challenging, and, at the same time, rewarding to develop good vocabulary. How is it rewarding? Because good language is spotted like you just did. However, I still get confused between "tussock" and "thicket". It needs consistent self-practice and vigilance from people who watch over you to steer you into good language and correct your diction. I am fortunate to have the latter but it is the former I still need to work on.

There, you go. I am capable of writing the contrived and surplus gratitude but prefer the natural and the intimate outpour. Same holds for politeness. I muster just adequate, but I prefer not to overdo as it is nauseatingly sentimental and mundane. I prefer to talk natural and uninhibited.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2018
    Thyagarajan likes this.
  7. Iravati

Iravati Platinum IL'ite

Attractive to other feral wolves and not cultured gentlemen. :rolleyes::eek:
    Woof woof!

8. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Read the acronym FOMO in a post here. Fear of Missing Out.

First came across it recently in a book by Lilly Singh. Hadn't heard of her earlier. Looks like she is quite a phenomenon. Any one watches her channel or has read her book? How to Be a Bawse: A Guide to Conquering Life: Lilly Singh: 9780425286463: Amazon.com: Books

Thing1 and I watched a few videos, and thought she is good but not for us. Something off-putting about her style. Not the over use of the F-word.

9. Viswamitra

@Iravati,

Thank you for making me understand your clear intent when you use certain vocabulary. Your example made me understand even better. Like what you originally suggested, I now leave it to the judgment of the moderators.

Viswa

10. Iravati

Iravati Platinum IL'ite

@Viswamitra

No thanks again. I prefer interacting with few voices here and I take liberty at them to blather away in an unvarnished tone. You are one of them. Jey has a persuasive voice, sokanasanah has sharp reasoning, and Cheeniya has abundant sense of humour. You are expressive. If we had a typing contest between you and me, you would pound away more vigorously than I do as I sense an ease in your expression. I still struggle with spelling. I was recently conversing with a childhood friend and inquiring if I have undiagnosed dyslexia as I still struggle with spelling. Hence, I scratch away surplus in IL to stub my rough contours. Again, if I have dropped any formality that is only cause I like the organic flow in an informal conversation like we just had.

Our paths don't cross much because I am composing wild love stories these days and you are more into pragmatic musings. That said, I hope we get to interact more often in QPQ or elsewhere or somewhere we can terrify sokanasanah of the baseball goon stalking him for a sign on the 'citation' petition.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2018
    Viswamitra likes this.