Gabfest: And Thereby Hangs A Tail

Discussion in 'Education & Personal Growth' started by Cimorene, Jan 9, 2017.

1. Naari

Naari Platinum IL'ite

I don’t mean to interfere or interrupt in the discussion or take sides, but I think @sokanasanah was offering a solution to me on how to handle such typo & English errors on an ongoing basis going into the job in response to my last sentence i.e. “ so, yes, that’s going to be a real challenge “ Also, he suggested I run wild on the rest of the document which couldn’t possibly be in the context of the offer letter I believe.

Thank you both for your valuable inputs.

justanothergirl likes this.
  2. sokanasanah

sokanasanah IL Hall of Fame

Yes, you did misread.
    I was/am - the assumption being that the offer has been accepted, so there's no reason for me to revisit the past.
    I was trying to suggest ways in which she might manage editing challenges on the job. My focus was on the projections into the future, underlined above. After all, one doesn't make onself an asset to the boss simply by displaying editing chops on the offer letter. It would take a tad bit more than that, yes?
    We are talking about culture. It is not a fixed yes/no, but the general mileu. Varies somewhat with the field, and country, but in general, the openness in scientifc research groups in the US (and the UK) is unmatched in most other fields of endeavor. There are always the autocrats. You must be hanging out with the wrong kind of people.:lol:

Last edited: Nov 1, 2017
  3. justanothergirl

justanothergirl IL Hall of Fame

At IL u mean :smilingimp: :relaxed: !
    PS: Academic pecking order /Academic entrepreneurship and how most grad progs run like tiny little companies inside is something I am fully aware of even if I am personally not affected. Too much grey hair on my head to believe in the myth of young grad student == full blown prof . There are plenty of incidents of bullying at univs by full tenured profs that I can no longer brush them aside as one off. In US.

Lets just agree to disagree.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2017
  4. sokanasanah

Well, that would indeed be a myth, wouldn't it? All I'm saying is that the culture promotes a greater degree of openness than in almost any other field. The Boss who steals from a young aspirant is a real and acknowledged trope, most of all among scientists themselves.
    Youthful energy (such as mine) on IL is the only antidote to all that cynical grey hair.
    Not as long as I have a cudgel in hand.
    :smash2:

5. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

@Rihana,

Is there a title called, "Finest Post Nominator"? :roflmao:

Rihana likes this.
  6. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

I did think of suggesting that there be a Finest Post Finder tag ... a while back when we had that thread about 'Do you nominate Finest Posts?'

I was thinking there could be a Finest Post Finder for the member who first nominates the winning post(s). Could remain on for a month or so maybe.......

7. justanothergirl

justanothergirl IL Hall of Fame

As if I don't know already that this is how u do it in ur world:p !

Last edited: Nov 2, 2017
    Naari and sokanasanah like this.
  8. sokanasanah

No, no - I was trying to talk to you in a language you would understand!:roflmao:

Naari likes this.
  9. Nonya

Nonya Platinum IL'ite

< Ragini25 likes this>
    When I am with "'we' the people", I think in American.

When with bhumiputras, I go with kami or kita. The kami (we) is used in a context where "we" is only referring to a subset of people in the statement. For example if Nonya is with Rihana, and Ragini25, and addressing Ragini25, and said, "we are going to a movie", using the word KAMI for "we", then Ragini25 would be left behind. OTOH, if Nonya used the word KITA for "we", all three of them are going to a movie. Kita is inclusive, whereas Kami is not.

10. Naari

Naari Platinum IL'ite

@Nonya @Ragini25 wants to know if you are an English professor. I called you a prof once & it sparked her curiosity. Pls clarify her doubt.