Gabfest: And Thereby Hangs A Tail

Discussion in 'Education & Personal Growth' started by Cimorene, Jan 9, 2017.

1. Gauri03

Gauri03 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

So the 19th century German ladies were swiping left on poor Fred's Tinder profile? That explains the mostly wise and humane Mr N's rare forays into red pill territory. The man was practically a quote machine!

2. kaniths

kaniths IL Hall of Fame

:lol:

Viswamitra and Gauri03 like this.
  3. sokanasanah

sokanasanah IL Hall of Fame

Sadly, they did.:confused::(
    In spite of all the passionate fire about the Übermensch, as the famous horse story attests, our Fred seems to have been rather a sensitive soul - hence his descent into madness it is usually supposed (modern inquiries first attributed all that to syphilis, but now, more recent research suggests a brain tumor). Here is another take on Nietzsche's Horse, worth reading. Tumors have been known to affect emotion and sensitivity. (I think that quote about love and friendship is quite true).
    Indeed he was! Truly amazing. The writing is electric! No one can quite match his aphoristic style, although others have aspired to it, the latest one I know of being our Norwegian windbag du jour, Knausgaard - but for sheer pithiness, poetry, and a resonant ambiguity inviting a thousand interpretations, Nietzsche is inimitable.

Take that other oft quoted aphorism about women: "Going to see a woman? Don't forget the whip!" ("Du gehst zu Frauen? Vergiß die Peitsche nicht!" in "Also Sprach Zarathushtra") - it has been interpreted in a "Taming of the Shrew/Kiss me Kate" sense (that woman like a strong, dominant man) and also this (and in many other ways)!:lol:

Now try that for size Karl!:icon_pc:

Last edited: Sep 14, 2017
    Gauri03 likes this.
  4. sokanasanah

sokanasanah IL Hall of Fame

kaniths likes this.
  5. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

@Gauri03,

I am not a technologist and I didn't dive deep into the meanings. I meant "A computer system modeled on human brain and nervous system". In my head I assumed this system performs all its functions perfectly and flawlessly using the right data including data from the warehouse like the analytical brain".

How I assigned that Watson to you? - I reversed that and assumed you are a human performing your functions perfectly and flawlessly like a machine. I thought of that title to you because you write your responses calm and collected using the right amount of data quickly. Particularly, when you performed the role of a moderator, you found the lifted articles very quickly.

How did I come to know about this technical term? - When I worked for Center for Development of Advanced Computing in 1988, there was a group set up for parallelizing neural network applications.

Viswa

Gauri03 likes this.
  6. Gauri03

Thanks Viswa! I had some time to kill after the kids went to bed, hence the idle musings. Didn't really need an explanation. But thank you again for your patient response. : )

Viswamitra likes this.
  7. Gauri03

@Viswamitra You've been holding that plank for weeks. You must have abs of titanium by now! :p

Viswamitra likes this.
  8. kaniths

kaniths IL Hall of Fame

#KitchenSinkDump!
    IMG_1951.PNG

:lol:

Gauri03 and Nonya like this.
  9. Nonya

Nonya Platinum IL'ite

kaniths likes this.
  10. kaniths

kaniths IL Hall of Fame

I have often no clue about Classics, thanks for this one! Enjoyed much! :tearsofjoy:

The word pun on 'who' reminded me of this joke too.

Knock knock.
    Who's there? - Doctor.
    Doctor Who? - Oh, I see you know this one!

Lol.