Gabfest: And Thereby Hangs A Tail

Discussion in 'Education & Personal Growth' started by Cimorene, Jan 9, 2017.

1. Iravati

Iravati Platinum IL'ite

I am wary of writing such admonitions because I don't wish to be a killjoy to your excitement. But when one learns from mistakes with tinge of regret, you don't want others to commit the same folly, hence, I am forewarning you.

Beware
    ! Strunk and White was first published in 1918, a century ago, followed by reprints and revisions. Language is fluid and grammar is shape-shifting. S & W is a great book so is Fowler's, or Roget's. However, few of the entrenched and prescriptive guidelines listed in these books are smudged out in 2017. You may have to study the recent guidelines or the writings of modern style-gurus like Steven Pinker or David Crystal or the like. Even a casual blog like this showcases the current trends in style. I did the same mistake recently. First read S & W, and then read latterly books. It is advisable to adhere to en vogue style guides rather than dredging up quaint guidelines. Take my apologetic tone as a confession but not an instruction. Go with the later publications from modern writers. As our man Sam Arbesman puts it, knowledge has a half-life. I add, so does grammar and style!

Last edited: Jul 28, 2017
    Rihana likes this.
  2. Iravati

Iravati Platinum IL'ite

+2 for that observation! You speak truth or facts, girl!
    (I don't know why I am being such a killjoy today. Hey, it's Friday!)

justanothergirl likes this.
  3. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

A timely observation, Ira and nice to read some alternates. Have some casual writing coming up.

4. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

That's what I thought too. A couple of old friends working in that area, had to change area of work, and some local colleges offering a certificate in technical writing stopped the program more than a decade ago.

justanothergirl likes this.
  5. Iravati

Iravati Platinum IL'ite

I reviewed my writing recently because of my interactions with another similar albeit close-knit group. If you are interested I shall put up the lessons I have learnt while improving my own writing by comparing with others. Things I did wrong. Things I spotted late. Thing1 I mistook for Thing2. ...that kind of drift.

Good writing is essential esp. in corporate communications abroad. When you are in India and you toss few nice-sounding words, you are lauded for your superior English language. In abroad, it is slightly different. People don't turn their heads or give two hoots to thick jargon. Let me know if you are interested then I shall up put up my 'confessions of a word nerd' here on vocabulary, style and grammar.

Rihana likes this.
  6. sokanasanah

sokanasanah IL Hall of Fame

'Corporate communication' is the very antithesis of good writing.:rage::BangHead::smash2:
    Whew ... OK, I feel better now.

7. Iravati

Iravati Platinum IL'ite

For you too, +2. :D

8. Iravati

Iravati Platinum IL'ite

Technical writing is still here to stay but the prospects aren't as cheerful as they were few years ago. Firms prefer informal and interactive and in-house training material to a professional undertaking. Everyone has realized that no one has time in this Twitter and FB age to read up humongous manuals. These days corporate induction is conveyed in light handouts to sonorous technical literature. One of the memes is that we need indexing of the index of the index of these guidelines to navigate our way in the thicket of technical writing. The new-age adage is to produce aid that is unsubtle and flexible and informal which means no external scholarship is necessitated to write them up.

9. Iravati

Iravati Platinum IL'ite

[removed personal information on online forum]

Last edited: Jul 28, 2017
  10. sokanasanah

sokanasanah IL Hall of Fame

I don't believe a word of it.
    :smash2::smash2::smash2::smash2::smash2::smash2::smash2::smash2::smash2::smash2::smash2::smash2::smash2::smash2::smash2::smash2::smash2::smash2::smash2::smash2::smash2: