Gabfest: And Thereby Hangs A Tail

Discussion in 'Education & Personal Growth' started by Cimorene, Jan 9, 2017.

1. Iravati

Iravati Platinum IL'ite

Now that he discovered his hitherto unharnessed super-powers, Alam-panah won't rest till he owns a micronation and prints his face on the currency notes. God save us all from his heraldry and aristocratic tyranny. I doubt, now he wants a brain in a vat or a pyramid.

2. Iravati

Iravati Platinum IL'ite

My Hindi is gloriously basderdized! I would be stricken in horror as if I had watched The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari on watching Mughal-e-Azam. I can't understand ornate dialogues. I might need a Hindi dictionary to grasp why Anarkali was entombed alive. Mr Panah is a whole-hogger. Now that the school threads have faded away, he has taken fancy to Urdu. We might learn a thing or two on proto-Arabic history and linguistic and cultural export from Persia. I say, let's keep an eye, you never know in which thread he would burst with his shayari and gazal now.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2017
  3. Iravati

Iravati Platinum IL'ite

You pop up with all lovely memories of India. Few more "community living" insights. My experiences are centred only on travel in India because that is what I enjoy back in India. It (still) happens in India ...

(1) You are lost for directions. You ask someone and they will wave their hand this way-that way. A small crowd gathers and optimises that route. The assembled crowd moans about the lack of road signs. These strangers will talk about how dirt roads should be tarred and finally everyone disperses, but you recall that memory every time you take that route.

(2) You are hunting for a kadai in the old quarters of a town in India. You don't like the size of any. You ask for other brands and sizes. Chotu ..bring that other one ...Still does not meet your requirement. You inquire for shops that sell kadais. You should go to Rampuri's, the purveyors of excellent cast iron kadai. Chotu ..take her to that Rampuri's. I love travelling in India amidst such hospitality. I also love Indian kadais even though I never unpack once I reach home.

(3) People are talkative. People talk tirelessly. They pause for nature's calls or to drink water.
    I like talkative friends. They are my favourites. Talkative strangers are an absolute delight.

(4) Food! Food! Food! Food! No family or kith pulls me to India as much as the food does. Off-season holidays are cheaper in Indian, like Goa package deals which are seemingly cheaper with all-encompassing, all-lavish buffet option at every dining hour. Not just Goa, but I generally prefer buffet spreads in holiday resorts. I am done holidaying in the West. I had always wanted to visit only five or six places and I am content with that list. Well, Israel is still pending. So, these days, I holiday (eat) more in India. India is my preferred hangout when I intend to explore alone. There are people eager to chat. You can chat up with perfect strangers on the road eating pani-puri, families are warm and people are funny.

You might think Ira always writes sweetened things about her life. But seriously yaar, 9/10 times my life experiences are awesome. The other time, it is extraordinary, so, from where will I dredge up saddie and horrible experiences.

vaidehi71 and Laks09 like this.
  4. sokanasanah

sokanasanah IL Hall of Fame

Here I am trying to address serious national security issues and you go on about silly movies riffing on spacefaring crawdads! Jeez. :cool:
    Anyhooo if it's Blomkamp you want, here's the latest from his Oats Studios.

vaidehi71 likes this.
  5. Iravati

Iravati Platinum IL'ite

Your reputational damage is self-contained. When you crawl out of that bed, the ARQ would have reset on the pressing national security issues and the remedial measures you proposed.

vaidehi71 likes this.
  6. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

That's because you didn't train under Steven Spielberg. If you aren't tagged with the right credentials you are doomed.

sokanasanah and vaidehi71 like this.
  7. Iravati

Iravati Platinum IL'ite

Let's embolden him with Spielberg.
    Then Hitchcock, Raimi, Carpenter, Roth ...

If he still fears to crawl out of the bed, apna woh desi wala Ramsay Brothers kis din kaam ayenge. Growing up, I used to love that Ramsay's Purana series. The Bros must have covered all kinds of dilapidated buildings in that horror series and then there was one Veerana.

vaidehi71 and Laks09 like this.
  8. sokanasanah

I have no Hebrew I'm afraid - ... καὶ ὁ λόγος ἦν πρὸς τὸν θεόν and he wouldn't share it, not with me anyway!
    My interests began with the NT; so I can muddle through the Koine, but never got around to investigating Hebrew or the OT except in the KJV.:facepalm::frown:

As for the pranaams, I was referring to the "pair chuo beta" thing, inviting the "Yug, yug jiyo beta" (and other) good wishes. As for the same greeting and goodbye, 'Namaste' is pretty good, no? :wink1:

vaidehi71 likes this.
  9. sokanasanah

Just a joke ...:lol:

vaidehi71 likes this.
  10. Iravati

Iravati Platinum IL'ite

Is that a neurite puzzle to solve:

My interests began with the New Testament; so I can muddle through the Koine, but never got around to investigating Hebrew or the Old Testament except in the King James Version.

My post hinted at 'Namaste' on my mind, for I assumed, 'Namaste' is used only as a greeting.

vaidehi71 likes this.