Gabfest: And Thereby Hangs A Tail

Discussion in 'Education & Personal Growth' started by Cimorene, Jan 9, 2017.

1. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

@Iravati thanks for the links. You know we recently attended a national convocation for rank holders. The air1 could not express himself. When somebody asked him to talk, say a few words to people who are trying for the same(the pass percentage is 2%) he said i studies notes and only notes from the private institute. And i am vary of this reducing the quality..

At the same time there is a crop of kids who are focussed who know where, what how to go about. Taking up interships even after their 12th. It is in the same country we have great inventions and innivation from kids as young as 12.

Let me just watch the thread.. i don't want to digress ..

2. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

It is a group project the kids did or individual? If group and friend didn't tell where, that is odd.

If it is individual project, then, is the science fair a competition or simply presenting of the projects? If competition, then, where to print the board is information related to a competition.

In any competition, unless all the work is done in class, and only by material provided by teacher, things are not fair. So, any advantage counts.

It is Friday, I am going to bring in working mom/SAHM into the discussion. : ) For one such activity loooong ago, (I was a fulltime SAHM then), I worked with my kid on the presentation part. One thing we looked into was the size and style of display board. Went to Target,Office Depot, Staples... Stood a few feet from each size/style/color of board... Imagined it placed on a low table/high table. Imagined kid pointing to parts of the board when responding to judge's questions. Checked how much of display board would be covered up by the actual project in front of it. We decided on a size, went back to the store that had that, bought it.

Come evening, a busy working mom calls me up to ask which board is best, and from which store can she pick it up on the way home. What can I say... my kid was listening to my end of the conversation. My adroit handling would have put to shame a career East European or Middle East diplomat. : )

TGIF!

Laks09 and Shanvy like this.
  3. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

@Rihana are you talking about me?? Sadly my kids are out of school and i still get queries and request on what to for a project..and more!!! And ofcourse it is a label beside my name.. go to for info and help..

And yes tgif..

Laks09 and Rihana like this.
  4. sokanasanah

sokanasanah IL Hall of Fame

Ahem ... this is not how the pros do it - poster boards are a thing of the past. These days, one just composes the project in MS-Powerpoint / Adobe whatnot and uses a large format printer to print the whole thing out as one roll up sheet of the recommended size. Maybe a tad expensive for science fairs ($200?), but it looks good (besides this is what your kid will do at Uni, but there it's usually free or heavily subsidized) - and after all it's your child - they grow up so fast ... how many do you have anyway? Just two right? wouldn't you want the best for them?

You on board the guilt train yet?:roflmao:

Laks09 and Rihana like this.
  5. Rihana

ROFL :) TGIF indeed.

OK I am too lazy and wiped out from the week to go look for the right thread to post.. Read a news recently that had me wondering just how much technology has become an ingrained part of our lives.

Police use murdered woman's Fitbit movements to charge her husband - CNN.com
    Woman's Fitbit gives police information about her movements, which contradict what her husband says happened.

Shanvy and Laks09 like this.
  6. sokanasanah

Yes, I am trying to help in my own way. It's a great pity that I couldn't get involved with HS kids for reasons mentioned earlier. I need to rethink options for younger children - maybe sneak in some ed-yoo-kay-shun in stds. 7, 8, 9, before the wretched 'board exams' that parents freak out about.

Last edited: May 19, 2017
  7. sokanasanah

Yes, I understand the tragedy of the commons.

In general, I am not in favor of pre-selecting students too heavily in earlier grades. A little competition is good, too much is a self-fulfilling prophecy. Kids develop at different rates. The quiet ones may be deeper than you know, the shy ones need drawing out, the voluble ones may need to be taught to not let their mouths work faster than their brains. As far as possible, activities in the early years ought to be as inclusive as possible, with the aim of giving children a chance to grow into themselves. Of course, we then run into the reality of funding and other practical constraints, which brings us back to home, family, and parents!

Laks09 likes this.
  8. Rihana

Not just in India. Saw it with tenured teachers in my child's high school. Teacher said effectively the same thing ("will see that you get least marks ..."). Such a fine line to walk, telling child to speak their mind, ask questions, and how not to totally piss off teacher who has so much power.

I also could write a book. LOL already have a plot an an in media res starting. Me sitting late at night, listening to a Balamuralikrishna kriti (anugAlavu chintE ) that one friend sent me. She knows I am not a believer : ) I sit holding my head in my hands, that plays in repeat mode. : )

Last edited: May 19, 2017
  9. Rihana

This inclusiveness applies to in-school activities. For events where the school is represented by a few or one student, it is often left to the teacher's discretion whom to choose. And teachers will take into account academic or related strength, but finally, like in the world of grown-ups, it comes down to which child is (also) more outgoing, and who can advocate for himself/herself. Mine can't LOL, and I don't hold it against the teachers for ignoring them........

10. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

I think I was ticked off because
    a) Kids are in different schools and the other kid is a grade higher.
    b) I can't do the above diplomatic handling and neither can DD. I'm a big mouth. That kid came home and got mock judged by me to go answer her judges. My DD helped her with what should go where on the board. I should have just shut up about my mock judging capabilities.
    My thought process was that helping peers will only better her capabilities. I also thought that things like eliminating competition isn't relevant. How many such kids are going to be deterred by a mere project board? My DD went to nationals that year.

Yes. I see this all the time. I don't like this though. It's the teacher's job to look at all kids equally and treat them so. Just because one kid is socially adept, the others cannot be overlooked. I don't like the fact that honors placement, opportunities outside school, competition etc should be based on how well the child manages the teacher. That's just ridiculous. It should depend on the child's academic ability not social skills.

Rihana and Shanvy like this.