Gabfest: And Thereby Hangs A Tail

Discussion in 'Education & Personal Growth' started by Cimorene, Jan 9, 2017.

1. Gauri03

Gauri03 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Is that how you explain 'figure'? Calamity Jane and Metonymies! Your teachers must have hated you! :lol:

Viswamitra likes this.
  2. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

Hi Soka,

Thank you for breaking the suspense. Had I been watching the movies and serials regularly, I would have figured out the latest slang that is in use in Chennai. After you mentioned it, I realize what would "figures" mean in Chennai as opposed to numbers. Breaking down the figures would mean catastrophic negative sexist comment, right? It might look like the School Year Book of the Justice.

By the way, I had the privilege of seeing the movie a few years back and thoroughly enjoyed the movie.

Viswa

Last edited: Oct 10, 2018
    sokanasanah likes this.
  3. Viswamitra

It is sexual harassment and should have been reported every time. I am glad eventually someone reported.

Viswa

4. sokanasanah

sokanasanah IL Hall of Fame

Indeed. The slang is not very recent, although you're right in thinking that it's been popularized by trash-TV and film. I don't watch too many of those, but I like language, so my ears perk up when I hear stuff like this.

Viswamitra likes this.
  5. Viswamitra

May be I was a naive student in the college not to have come across this Tamil slang. But I have heard this much after I was married. Some other slang I heard in the college are not worth mentioning here.

Please see me after you finish lecturing your class. A disciplinary proceeding with a committee of women who frequent this thread is organized for inquiring further. :roflmao: I have already excused you for knowing that slang but I don't know what the committee will do.

sokanasanah likes this.
  6. sokanasanah

Oh, I'm so glad you noticed! Yes, Calamity Jane was a little joke for the feminist context of this chat. The last salvo of WWI was fired by CJ the Howitzer on 11th November, 1918. Note that the woman had the last word! Jeez. Can't shut 'em up. :lol:

The original Calamity Jane, the fearless frontierswoman after whom the cannon was named, was also quite the character. All the dare-devilry notwithstanding, she was famous for wearing men's attire. And a 150 years later .... :roflmao:

As for my teachers - I was a very quiet, pliable little boy, reduced to near catatonia from boredom. No trouble at all, apart from the occasional extracurricular reading under the desk (usually trash) during class. Much AD, invisible, but little HD, except for the fidgets. Totally manageable.:oops:

Last edited: Oct 10, 2018
    Viswamitra likes this.
  7. sokanasanah

You know what they say Viswa: "களவும் கற்று மற" - i.e. "even thievery is a skill worth acquiring, if only to forget" - meaning, no knowledge is off-bounds.:lol:

Viswamitra likes this.
  8. sokanasanah

It is, but I am unable to think straight. My fragile sensibilities have been offended by ... ahem ... certain statements in your post. Get me my smelling salts, someone - I'm feeling faint ... Indus Engineer you may be, but no Indus Lady to be sure. :eek:

9. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

I don't drag him to too many good movies so he thought it was a chick flick that he could sleep through. He snored during Spectre :(

sokanasanah likes this.
  10. kaniths

kaniths IL Hall of Fame

Things were actually little over the boundaries and it was my first job. I had no clue how to handle, whether I should take it to someone officially or talk to someone about it. Back then there was not much awareness I guess, it was meant to be tolerated as part of the many things we have to adjust/get along/get used to if you were a working woman. And the job was important, I couldn't just like that walk out. Stressful year, my productivity had gone down. Third bucket and, I was swapped to another team. I couldn't have asked for more! :grinning: New TL was a lady Hitler, like being from one hell to another but good in multitude levels I think. I got team champion award twice in my stint in that project, under her. :innocent: Today I know better to handle. Also, workplace culture has generally improved. Credits to the corporates too for being considerate about our needs as women. Miles to go more. :beer-toast1:
    I would use the term and worse for all the pseudo-feminists in the world and their kinds who just don't get it! Grr. :mad:

Gauri03 likes this.