Gabfest: And Thereby Hangs A Tail

Discussion in 'Education & Personal Growth' started by Cimorene, Jan 9, 2017.

1. Cimorene

Cimorene Platinum IL'ite

Here's a thread to discuss:

(1) Tangential or supplementary remarks on the original threads in E 'n' PG forum.
    (2) Reflections that risk derailing the original threads in E 'n' PG forum.
    (3) Stubbed topics that are too tenuous for a full-fledged thread.
    (4) Idle and friendly chatter to foster camaraderie among members.
    (5) Still confused on what to say — say it here

There is no limit to the count of tails you can peg here.
    Just ensure that you abide by the rules of general site moderation.

WitteringHeights.png

2. Cimorene

Cimorene Platinum IL'ite

This year I am not big on reading, switched my interest to movies.
    I found this Five Books site very bang-on and useful last year while scouting for relevant books on a topic.

The format is engaging wherein a scholar with expertise in a field recommends his favourite books to read. Most of the times I scan for the books and leave out of the tie-in interview. However, few interviews are insightful to read and then later I started reading both the interview and the follow-up recommendation.

I have decided to catch up on as many movies as I can this year starting with The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across the 8th Dimension.

Shanvy, kaniths, kkrish and 1 other person like this.
  3. Gauri03

Gauri03 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Save your viewing list and highlight the recommendations. I'll tackle them if and when my 50 books are done. Thanks for that link. What a treasure trove! These days I've given up picking and choosing books. I read whatever I find on my digital library bookshelf, added by Mr husband who is working through Bill Gates' book recommendations from his blog. I remember you had spoken of it last year. Great collection of mostly contemporary nonfiction. Saves me from my nemesis -- decision paralysis!

4. Cimorene

Cimorene Platinum IL'ite

I ditched Reebok for Nike!

That looked like kaniths was summoning gadget-loving Macbeth witches to forecast the popularity of Gabfest thread.

Double, double, toil and trouble;
    Fire burn, and cauldron bubble.

First Witch: Pulse the brinded cat hath mew'd.
    Second Witch: Blitz the hedge-pig whined.
    Third Witch: Puree, she cries, "'Tis time, 'tis time." for a smooth and buttery taste.

(All gadgets sponsored by Amazon with full refund option in 21 days)

kaniths likes this.
  5. Cimorene

Cimorene Platinum IL'ite

Aye, I shall bookmark and share with you. I am mostly reading essays or long-read articles rather than books these days. Billy meticulously built a nice e-bookshelf with generous help from his assistant Cortana, I guess.

Another list I riffled last year is Popular Quirky Books

Mr GH is discerning! Unlike us women, men are rarely stricken by decision paralysis. While we bang our heads at the shades of grey and black, they cheerfully have a cupboard full of monotonous clothes that never seem to bother them.

6. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

:hello:Hello. Can I come in?
    You did say friendly chatter.

I read that the OP, @Cimorene is keen on movies. I have also read many references to space - milky way, galaxy, and other terms in other threads and have assumed that OP, like me, is also interested in space.

With that in mind, have you seen, "Hidden Figures" movie yet?

This morning I posted an article on the solar system here, in the E&G forum.
    I am a bit uncomfortable to be among all you learned, and highly intelligent ladies; some scientists and mathematicians are here too I think.

kkrish

iyerviji likes this.
  7. Cimorene

Cimorene Platinum IL'ite

Make yourself feel at home.

kkrish likes this.
  8. Cimorene

Cimorene Platinum IL'ite

Sounds like a Doordarshan Harpic ad! (just kiddin')

Envy your squeaky fittings. I've a pre-clean and a clean regimen. Pre-clean is the prelude to organise the house for the maid to take over and make it clean. My mom shrieks, "Why do you need a maid". I thought about it too. Then I realised that I don't clean thoroughly to which my mother retorts that if I bend my kamar in house more and gym less than I might shine the house.

There is nothing more fragrant than a disinfected house. If the driveway and the dried leaves are also cleaned up, you have all the enviable reasons to be happity-hop.

9. Gauri03

@kkrish We are glad to have you here. Welcome! We're not so much learned ladies as we are ladies with a love for learning. : ) Hope you stick around.

Thyagarajan and kkrish like this.
  10. Gauri03

Speaking of clean, the first book I read this year was Marie Kondo's “The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up”. A wonderfully earnest and surprisingly profound little book, if one can excuse the occasional kooky excursion into woo-woo land. If I had to pick a personal theme for 2017, it would be "clear the clutter", literally and figuratively. The book did help set me up with the right mindset. I enjoyed reading it. * Though I still don't care how my socks are feeling.

Here is a NY Times piece on the woman and the phenomenon called KonMari -- http://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/10/magazine/marie-kondo-and-the-ruthless-war-on-stuff.html?_r=0

kkrish and kaniths like this.