Futurology

Discussion in 'Education & Personal Growth' started by Gauri03, Aug 20, 2016.

1. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

:hello:When World War I was on my father was born. His dad worried about future chaos. With my dad siblings four all expired in ripe age lived the life to hilt.
    2. My dad worried about me just before I was born during World War II . I lived and am living not in fear or in chaos.
    3. World is created to set it right itself. The programme by The Great Designer is embedded in the universe.
    4. Seeming chaos some man made & few by Nature all destined to produce stability of His Universe which at one end expanding and....
    5. Omg - I wrote all this because, I am born optimistic - desperately optimistic at that!
    6. Why the need to prophesies ? Hazard a guess of chaos...
    Thanks and Regards.
    God has great grand bright plans for still better future for tpresent and future children.
    HAPPY UGADI HAPPY NEW YEAR

Gauri03 likes this.
  2. Gauri03

Gauri03 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

041019_LG-EV-MT_EHT_feat.jpg

This is the first ever image of a black hole. This supermassive black hole lies 50 million light years away in a galaxy called M87. This is NOT a simulation, NOT an artist's rendering, but the first ever real image taken with radio telescopes positioned all around the earth. The bright ring is a disk of gas orbiting the black hole and the black spot is the shadow of the black hole itself.

“We have seen what we thought was unseeable. We have seen and taken a picture of a black hole,” Sheperd Doeleman, EHT Director and astrophysicist at the Harvard-Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics in Cambridge, Mass., said April 10 in Washington, D.C., at one of seven concurrent news conferences.

The first picture of a black hole opens a new era of astrophysics

Here's a high-res 4K image -- https://www.nsf.gov/news/special_reports/blackholes/downloads/A-Consensus.jpg

For those trying to understand what they are seeing,

What a time to be alive!

Last edited: Apr 10, 2019
  3. kaniths

kaniths IL Hall of Fame

This collage got my attention, from a technical paper by the EH Telescope Team (First M87 Event Horizon Telescope Results. V. Physical Origin of the Asymmetric Ring).

Bh.jpg
    The first-ever image of a black hole (right) compared with a simulation image (middle) and the simulation blurred to the expected resolution of the telescope (right).

How accurate!

That there is something orbiting around, that the center is black (as opposed to being bright if it's just another star I understand)... #BlackHolesAreForReal! Amazing that is!

Couldn't agree more! :beer-toast1:

4. kaniths

kaniths IL Hall of Fame

Also #trending....

Lol!~01.png

:roflmao::lol:

satchitananda, Afresh and kkrish like this.
  5. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

True. What a time to be alive!
    Simply fabulous.

satchitananda, Gauri03 and Afresh like this.
  6. kaniths

kaniths IL Hall of Fame

Cultural anthropology interests me just as much future technologies. In all the glory of #BlackHoleDay, another important scientific milestone in human history got shadowed away much I believe. For anyone interested...

New species of ancient human discovered in the Philippines - NatGeo.

HL~01.jpg
    (Source)

"Homo Luzonensis" - A new branch in our (evolution) family tree! Hurray! :beer-toast1:

Last edited: Apr 11, 2019
  7. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

:hello:Amazing splendid astounded!
    But am layman yet interested what is several billion or trillion light years away.
    One simple thought comes to mind.
    2. A flame is always up as in wick lamp or in astruck match. Why not downwards! Why it’s core is in different hue than its periphery.
    Vis a vis

The BLACK HOLE like a huge inverted distorted cone encircled at its periphery a gargantuan flaming disk with enormous brightness temperature expressed in k.
    Vis a vis
    And then it is believed In microcosm macrocasm can be seen. Thirumalaraju too says that in mustard one can see the universe. In baby Krishna’s mouth, Yashodhara seen the entire galaxy.
    You can say fascination curiosity or both. But it leaves me enigmatic.
    Thanks and Regards.
    God can be in black & white. Not necessarily in black hole!

satchitananda, kaniths and Gauri03 like this.
  8. sokanasanah

sokanasanah IL Hall of Fame

Unlike genus names, species names in the binomial nomenclature are not capitalized. That ought to read: "Homo luzonensis". I don't worry about such things, but my friend wanted to me tell you.
    :beer-toast1:
    The excitement about the Virgo A/M87 black hole over the past week and a half has resulted in a spate of articles in the popular press, many with admiring references Stephen Hawking, implying an immediate connection. You look into the abyss and Hawking looks back at you. This is a misunderstanding on the part of poorly informed journalists, compounded by their lazy imaginings that it is Hawking Radiation that made the EHT images possible. That is NOT the case! Direct observation of Hawking Radiation is not yet feasible. Hawking's big ideas concerning black holes and quantum information remain to be tested.

The encomia are more deservedly bestowed upon Karl Schwarzschild and Subrahmanyan Chandrashekar. The latter was the first to apply relativistic calculations to stellar objects. He provided the first mathematical proof for the existence of black holes, doing the calculations onboard a ship as he sailed to a Ph.D. at Cambridge, aged 19. The findings were very controversial at the time, and the resulting brouhaha deeply affected his working style for the rest of his life.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2019
  9. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

Thank you for this information. I learned something new today.
    Dr. S. Chandrasekar was always an enigma for me. As soon as I can I am going read about him.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2019
  10. kaniths

kaniths IL Hall of Fame

:facepalm: Thank you (or that friend of yours! :wink:).
    Noted. :thumbsup:

sokanasanah likes this.