1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Fusion-A crow’s nest and Thirumalai Nambikal’s bed

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by PushpavalliSrinivasan, May 18, 2011.

1. PushpavalliSrinivasan

PushpavalliSrinivasan IL Hall of Fame

Finest Blog Winner - Third weekly pick of May 2011

A crow’s nest and Thirumalai Nambikal’s bed

For the past one month the crows were bringing small twigs and were busy building the nest. I was watching them when ever I had time. Sometimes they would sit and test the depth of the nest. When they got satisfied with the depth, they brought bits of hay and spread it out in the nest. Again they sat and tested the nest. Perhaps this time they tested it for the comfort of their chicks when they would come out off the eggs. Even the crows love their chicks as humans love their babies and want to give them as much comfort as they could give them. “Kakkaikkum than kunju pon kunju.”

Comparing the crow’s nest to Thirumalai Nambikal’s bed, what a crazy thought! Yet the story came to my mind vividly and I want to share it with you all.

Thirumalai Nambikal who was also known as Sri Sailapoornar was Ramanuja’s maternal uncle. Ramanuja’s cousin Govindan (His mother’s sister’s son) who saved Ramanuja’s life when his Guru Yadhava Prakasa took him on Kasi yatra along with other disciples with the intention of drowning him in the river Ganges and when Govinda came to know this he defeated his scheme by cautioning Ramanuja.

He was the most favourite disciple of Thirumalai Nambikal and he was staying with him.He used to do the maximum service to his Acharya from dawn to dusk. Every night he used to make his bed and test it for comfortability.

Once Ramanuja went to Thirumalai to have darshan of Sri Venkatachalapathi and also to learn the Valmiki Ramayan from his uncle Thirumalai Nambikal.

One day to his utter bewilderment Ramanuja saw Govindan lying down on Nambikal’s bed. He was shocked to see him and he went to complain to his uncle.

He said, “Acharya! It seems Govindan is taking too much liberty and you have to warn him. Even though you are our uncle you are also our Acharya and he should not forget it.”

Nambikal said, “What happened! Why are you telling like this?”

Ramanuja said, “I saw him lying on your bed today.”

Nambikal called out to Govindan. When he came he asked, “Govinda! Were you lying on my bed today?”

“Yes, Acharya!” he said.

“Do you know that you have committed a grave sin and that you will go to hell?” said Nambikal.

“Yes,Acharya! I do know it. But I was doing it every day, not only today for I wanted to check whether your bed is comfortable and you can sleep nicely. I do not mind going to hell, but I want you to sleep comfortably and peacefully.”

When Nambikal and Ramanuja heard this they felt so happy and they understood Govindan’s sincere Acharya bhakthi.

Is Govindan’s guru bhakthi is great or the crows’ love for their chicks is great?

2. sreemanavaneeth

sreemanavaneeth Gold IL'ite

Dear Ma,

[JUSTIFY]
    [JUSTIFY]
    What to say???? Guru Bhakthi kodi koduthaalum kidaikkadu Annai Paasam kuzhanthaigal mattume vunarum. Very nice and you made my day very happy. I liked the snap.

Thank you very much for sharing .:bowdown:bowdown:bowdown
    [/JUSTIFY]
    [/JUSTIFY]

3. SARASVADIVU

SARASVADIVU Silver IL'ite

Dear mam,

A nice parallel drawn there between two arenas of unconditional Love:bowdown

Really a good and unique post mam!!

Regards,
    Saras.

4. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

Dear Mami

Excellent post both are true love. Thanks for sharing

Namaskarams
    viji

5. Sriniketan

Sriniketan IL Hall of Fame

Pushpavalli ma...excellent comparison...the basic intention is the comfort + compassion for others. This should be the nature in all beings..but we forget it..:-(
    Enjoyed the picture of the nested crow..:)
    sriniketan

6. PushpavalliSrinivasan

Dear Sreemathi,
    You have also made my day with your first feed back. As you say annai pasam is quite natural, whereas guru bhakthi is reciprocated by a disciple if the guru also expresses his unconditional love and teaches him all that he had learned.
    Thanks once again,
    Love,
    PS

7. PushpavalliSrinivasan

Dear Saras,
    Thanks a lot for your appreciation.
    Only unconditional love binds the guru and disciple also like the love between the child and mother.
    Love,
    PS

8. PushpavalliSrinivasan

Dear Viji,
    Thanks for dropping in and posting your comments.
    Love,
    PS

9. Malar2301

Malar2301 Gold IL'ite

Dear Pushpa ma,

Miga arumaiyaana ondru!! Guruvin meethulla patrai, Guru bakthiyai thayin seyalukku oppittu kooriyathu arpudham!!

10. PushpavalliSrinivasan

Dear Sriniketan,
    Yes, Love and compassion are the most desired qualities in humans.
    Glad to hear that you enjoyed the picture of the nesting crow and thanks for your nice comments.
    Love,
    PS