1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice
  2. If someone taught you via skype, what would you want to learn? Tell us here!
    Dismiss Notice

Fuel ur Body with a Naturally Colorful Diet !!!

Discussion in 'Indian Diet & Nutrition' started by jayana, Mar 21, 2006.

1. jayana

jayana Senior IL'ite

Hi,

When scanning the grocery aisles for healthy produce, focus on color. Plants use color to protect themselves from the evironment; likewise, when we eat plants our bodies receive compounds to prevent disease.

** Red (tomatoes, watermelon, pink grapefruit) - contain lycopene which may aid in the prevention of cancer and reduce the risk of heart disease

** Yellow, and Orange ( apricots, pumpkin, carrots, sweet potates) - beta-carotene which is believe to prevent cancer and slow the aging process

** Dark Green ( broccoli, spinach, Brussels sprouts) - lutrin which may prevent macular degeneration, cataracts, heart disease, and cancer

** Blue, Dark Red, and Purple ( blueberries, raspberries, plums ) - slow the aging process, protect blood clots, plus fight inflammation and allergies.

2. kanmani

kanmani Junior IL'ite

To add few more...

Hi Jayana,

That was a good piece of information...how different colors of vegetables provide nutrition to avoid different diseases.

I just want to add a few more that I know...

Bell Peppers (Capsicum) - whether red, yellow, orange or green are good sources of antioxidants - Vitamin C and Vitamin K, because of the concentration of caratenoids. They help reduce risks of cardiovascular diseases and several cancers.

Beetroots - the purple-crimson color of betroots are rich in - betacyanin - a powerful cancer fighting agent.

Green Beans - the green color is rich in caratenoids - that help prevent different varieties of cancer.

PS:Jayana, did I match up with your coloring idea? :tongue

Regards,
    Kanmani

Last edited: Mar 22, 2006
  3. jayana

jayana Senior IL'ite

Did match....

Hi Kanmani,

..Oh yeah...u did add to my coloring matching......

Glad to know that u liked it...and hope all like it too.......

Cheers,
    Jay