1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Frustrating.

Discussion in 'Infants' started by cutiepie66, Oct 21, 2014.

1. cutiepie66

cutiepie66 Gold IL'ite

I have a 3 + month old kid. Ours is a large family. Relatives keep coming and going. Everybody lifts the baby without washing their hands and also kisses the baby even if they have cold. Also making the baby to sit even if my baby can't. Also keeping sweets in her mouth. Problem is everybody know that they are not doing it right. But still keep doing because of love and affection towards baby. Baby is getting cold because of this. When I tell people it can cause infection, they say as if u r the only one to have baby in this whole world. Otherwise people around me are good and I can't hurt them as well. Just wanted to vent it out. I am feeling extremely bad because of this.

2. Rakhii

Rakhii Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Cutie, sorry that you are going through this. Its very hard to stop people from lifting the baby. What you can do is offer that you prefer if they wash their hands before picking up the baby. Now, I don't know how it would sit with immediate family.

Sorry for you. XOXO

1 person likes this.
  3. ramyaramani

ramyaramani Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Such situations put us in a difficult spot. Maybe you can try these:

Keep a bottle of hand sanitizer nearby. Whenever someone tries to lift the baby you can put sanitizer in their hands. Yes, people would think you are weird. But you can always say 'It is all for the baby. Blame it on Ebola scare or local disease scare.'

Keep a blanket underneath the baby. Always give the baby with the blanket. When someone has terrible cold then take the baby inside saying you need to feed etc. Not always possible but no harm in trying.

1 person likes this.
  4. cutiepie66

cutiepie66 Gold IL'ite

Thanks Rakhii & Ramyaramani. I tried the sanitizer method. But in vain :( What I am doing is, I wipe the baby with warm water after a person (those who have cold) leaves and also spray disinfectant. Don't know how far it works. But trying my best.

By the way, I don't know why I am over protective like this when it comes to baby. Am I over reacting?

Last edited: Oct 23, 2014
  5. tashidelek2002

tashidelek2002 IL Hall of Fame

OP:
    I can understand your concern but one question: has your baby been sick from all this? I ask because babies are more durable than one might think (certainly within parameters of care).

6. subasrihari

subasrihari Senior IL'ite

Hi
    I can understand your prob coz I underwent d same situation 4 months back...can't avoid people carrying her but my mom and in-law would strictly tell them to wash their hands and legs before touching.
    U alsoleave this to elders and Don get tensed...ur baby will be fine as u look after well.
    Take care.

7. ramyaramani

ramyaramani Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

@cutiepie we definitely tend to be over protective. I think wiping with warm water is not necessary. On a positive note your child's immunity is building up.