frozen Idli/dosa batter and puffpastry sheets

Discussion in 'Indians in the UK' started by shami, May 16, 2008.

1. shami

shami Junior IL'ite

Hi all I am from US . Am staying in London with my 20month old daughter for 3 weeks.she is very fond of Idli and dosa and samosas. The prob is I donot have a blender in the apartment and thought I can buy the frozen batter as we get in the US. Please sugget the shops where I can get these.
    thanks.

Last edited: May 16, 2008

2. Honeyline

Honeyline New IL'ite

Hi Shami,

MY name is madhu and i stay in UK but as far as i know we dont get frozen batter in UK, but if anyone knows pls let me also know. You certainly will find many south indian restaurants in london, may be by idli and freeze it . About the restaurants in london you see i dont stay there but iam sure there are active illites from london who can put some light in it.

bye and have a nice time.

3. pavithrasriram

pavithrasriram Bronze IL'ite

hi shami,
    yes you do get frozen idli and masala dosa made by taj foods but not batter.they are available at tesco stores.they also make frozen samosas and kachori's.you can go to tesco.com and find a shop near you with store locater!probably some indian stores might have batter or i am sure they will have the ready mix for dosa and idli!
    hope this info helps you!
    regards
    pavi

4. srirangani

srirangani New IL'ite

What I do is, I buy readymade flour - and mix it, sour it and make idly. Ofcourse it wont replace the manual version of grinding it and making it - but it will be close enough. I hope my comment helped.

5. shami

shami Junior IL'ite

thanks a lot for the seggestions friends.!

reg
    shami

6. spri17

spri17 New IL'ite

Hi Shami,

You can get readymade Idly/Dosa batter in sakthi cash and carry in Eastham..But I think you don't get frozen batter.you can try some other shops in wembley

regards
    priya

7. Sindhurao

Sindhurao Gold IL'ite

Hi Shami:

Don't know about frozen idli / dosa batter but you do get MTR / GITS / Priya instant mix of several types and also samosa sheets in Indian stores.

About puff pastry, you can find Jus-Rol brand puff pastry in most supermarkets.
    Hope this helps.

Sindhu

Last edited: May 26, 2008
  8. InfoSeeker

InfoSeeker New IL'ite

Hi,
    You can buy the Frozen and Refri Puff Pastry sheets in ASDA.

9. vslucky3376

vslucky3376 New IL'ite

Hi to all,

I make Dosa/ Idlli Batter at home. If you want I can send them for you or you can pick it up. Iam at Maidenhead, near London.
    If there are lot of you who need I can meet you all with required amount of batter in a common place and supply it for you.Dosa batter, South Indian Sevai, or anything you would need.
    Let me know. Please contact me through private messages.
    Laxmi.

Admin Note: You can exchange contact information only through private messages. Private message subscription is just $10/year. Each private message subscription comes with a free gift subscription, which you can give to the other person and you both can contact each other instantly. More Details.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 12, 2010
  10. deepat

deepat New IL'ite

Hi

Regarding the pastry u get them in all super markets lie sainsbury , tesco , asda .
    I had to get into trial and error method for the dosa/idly batter . U can get idly rawa in all indian stores . u can grind urid dal alone and use in 1:2 proportion . idly are some what better . but u need a blender for that 2 . but please dont use these mtr, priya or gits for the child less than 2 yrs old . since it has 2 much of preservatives.

Cheers
    Deepa