1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

From The Troubles And Misfortunes Of Others

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Rihana, May 29, 2019.

1. Anusha2917

Anusha2917 IL Hall of Fame

Agreed. "OP Count your blessings" is a very common phrase used here. This is not just in the forum. When I share how miserable I feel with my set backs with closed one's in the family the advice I get from them is we should count our blessings. Sometimes I just question them really ? Why?
    But it's true though.

Rihana, Amulet and Thyagarajan like this.
  2. Amulet

Amulet IL Hall of Fame

First you benchmark.
    Then you strive.
    That’s why you count.
    Just to check if striving has had any effect. ;)

Thyagarajan, Rihana and Anusha2917 like this.
  3. Desiindian

Desiindian Gold IL'ite

OP, Only after visiting few forums like ILs and reading post of some women in troubled married life, I sensed that my marriage was not in that bad shape. I admit that Atleast I have a better married life and I Count it as my blessing and Thank God for it. I am definitely not trying to solace myself from misfortunes or troubles of others, instead trying to appreciate the best/good thing I have at the moment.
    We all do this kind comparison in every walk of life. Our sixth sense is tuned to work that way. As long as the Atleast and Count your blessing techniques are not used to hurt the sufferer, self soothing is ok to me.

Thyagarajan, Rihana, Brevity and 4 others like this.
  4. Brevity

Brevity Gold IL'ite

Agree with Desiindian. Feeling thankful for what you have, after a realization, is not equivalent to taking sadistic pleasure in someone else's relative misfortune.

When we wish a doctor good luck we are not wishing for more sickness around him. Rather we are wishing him for successful diagnosis, effective treatment, successful surgeries etc.

When it comes to cases like people waiting for organ transplant, the line blurs a bit because we are waiting for someone to pass on the right way, others in the queue ahead to be unavailable etc. Not sure if we can blame ourselves for it. We are designed to protect ourselves and our dear ones. But lot of guilt could come along with it. Unless we set out to kill donors/recipients on the list (like in Breathe series) we should be OK, I guess.

Thyagarajan and Rihana like this.
  5. Amica

Amica IL Hall of Fame

@Rihana, I saw your OP when you posted it, but was waiting for your deep thoughts on the subject. Meanwhile, here are mine:

"At least" and "count your blessings" are acceptable techniques for dealing with misfortune. But there's a caveat: If you employ these strategies when something goes wrong, you must also employ the opposite when things go right.

For example, if you win 100 million in the lottery, you can't celebrate. You must be filled with sorrow because someone else won 500 million.

I like balance in all things. :)

Or you can tackle the challenges in your life, overcome them, be grateful for the learning experience and for the strength you gain from each of them.

6. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

Golden words of wisdom @Amica. Well said.

Amica and Thyagarajan like this.
  7. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

When I read your posts, I am often struck by the similarity in thinking. Schadenfreude, its brief description and the observation that it is different from 'at least' and 'counting blessings' was an extra paragraph in the snippet that I edited for better focus.

Nice to know I am not alone in such thinking. I feel the insincerity the most when the person is a friend with whom I talk about his or her trouble and say things like 'it will be alright.'

Thyagarajan and startinganew like this.
  8. Rihana

I went through the "why me" a few times earlier in life. Then, read somewhere that we don't question similarly when good things happen, and the 'why me' tapered away.

I don't know. The two are "better" than schadenfreude by a whisker IMO. Sch..eude is "pleasure" derived from another's misfortune. The two are deriving "solace."

Justifiable anything is only that - justification/ rationalization.

9. Anusha2917

Anusha2917 IL Hall of Fame

Well, I'm learning this . Isn't my inbuilt trait. Yes have been this selfish one to not be thankful for the good I have and never questioned "why me " for the good. . But I will remember that. . :blush::blush:

Thyagarajan and Rihana like this.
  10. Rihana

Just to read Madam when you address people in your posts makes me smile. Confession: initially I thought you were being stern, then I came to know it is just a style of addressing.

Last week I attended the wedding of a doctor bridegroom and wished him good practice ...
    A lawyer wishes for disputes,litigations and conflicts ...
    The mechanic on the roadside offers Rs10/-to Roadside Ganesha ...
    A carpenter may rejoice if your windows do not close properly ...
    and a plumber would be delighted at our leaking taps ...
    A maths teacher wants to have many mediocre students ...[/quote]
    Thank you for the in-depth thoughtful response and the many examples. I simply love examples.

A nitpick though about the examples. Those are evidence of people's livelihood depending on a need/suffering of others. Which is correct. But the doctor, carpenter, lawyer are making a living from their service, they are not comparing their better fortune in that area and drawing solace from it.

Viswa, I am happy and kind of proud to note that I came to a similar conclusion myself while ruminating on this endless question. Like the saying goes: your only competition is with yourself (of yesterday).

Thyagarajan and Viswamitra like this.