1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Friend's schizophrenic hubby, married life at stake.

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by rajikaran, Aug 29, 2010.

1. rajikaran

rajikaran Silver IL'ite

hi
    this issue concerns a dear friend and colleague of mine...she has been married for last 13 years...it was an arranged marriage and both of them are professionals....5 days after marriage she found out that her husband is taking antipsychotics...but his behaviuor was on the whole normal even though he was a little slow and unemotional...her parents had performed a lavish wedding and they were very happy and so she did not tell them about this issue...they went on with lives but after the birth of their child she found out that he is getting weird..he kept on saying that someone is folowing him and some other delusions...but at the same time he can hold on to his job and he earns a high salary...he was restarted on the psychiatry medicines and he was again back to some normalcy....but he is very introvertish and never expresses his emotions..he has never shown any passion and he is of the opinion that each of them should have separate accounts and manage money independently..the wife doesnt know what his earnings are and how much his savings are...he is very incommunicative on everything..for ages they have been sleeping separately...now she is getting more and more lonely and depressed ..they stay in separate cities..if they stay together they will end up fighting all the time and she cant stand his weirdness...should she get a divorce and start afresh...when he is in a bad mood he is scary according to her...what should she do..he loves the child dearly..but will not take any resposibility for the child other than spending money for her things...
    what should my friend do in this circumstance?they have tried counselling so many times but with no use

2. lotusgirl

lotusgirl Senior IL'ite

marriage counselling??
    Talking to his doc to understand waht exactly is his problem if she already doesnt know about it in detail.. See if theres any progress that can be made, anyway she can get him to open up etc.. take an effort.. i am not undermining whatver she has done till date, but suggesting if these have not yet been done, try that too.. She has spent so much of her life , so why not take a last effort before she tries the other option of seperation? btw this divorce thing, was that brought up by her when she told you her situation? also what role does his parents have in this situation?? has she spoken to them??

3. indianguy2010

indianguy2010 IL Hall of Fame

Going by the symptoms of 'saying someone is following him' etc, the psychiatric illness that man is having looks like , most probably, Paranoid Schizophrenia. It is a major psychiatric illness, requiring life long medications.

If he sticks to the proper anti-psychiatric medications regularly, he can run a near normal life. But practically, most cases of Paranoid Schizophrenia patients, will stop the medications during the flare-up of the disease. They will lose the 'insight' that their abnormal behaviour is due to the disease. Rather, they will start believing that the entire world , except them, is abnormal.

This situation, where the patient refuses to take medications, is dangerous. The disease will go on getting severe and severe.

If this (the process of the patient, stopping treatment on his own) is avoided, then, he will be normal.

Ask the wife of that man to go and meet the Psychiatrist who has treated him. She can get more information from him(psychiatrist)

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 31, 2010
  4. arbit

arbit Bronze IL'ite

Indianguy - i wanted to ask you some psychiatric advice, but you dont seem to have private messanger. How should i ask?

Regards, Arbit

5. indianguy2010

Hi Arbit,

First of all, let me tell me, I am not a qualified psychiatrist. I am only a Family Practioner. I am new to this forum. I do not know how to give / receive private messages. You can ask the forum moderator, about the procedure of sending private messages and then send your messages to me.

I will try to answer it.

You can also try to send your questions to malefemale.in It is a website managed by an Ahmedabad based medical psychiatrist. He has his own nursing home in Ahmedabad. He has a team of around four juniors with him. (all the four are qualifed psychiatrists). This web site is managed by him and his juniors. I recently attended an one hour lecture by Dr.Hansal in a hospital in sub-urban Ahmedabad. He is having very good knowledge and experience in psychiatry.

His website is considered as a very very precious source of sharing psychiatry knowledge among commonmen in the community. I think, there is some nominal fee, if you want to get the answer quickly. It is free of charge, if you can wait for a week or so. He and his juniors answer all queries, nicely.

6. arbit

arbit Bronze IL'ite

Thanks Indianguy, this is really helpful.
    Regards,

7. indianguy2010

Under your name it is mentioned, "private message user" . So, you must be able to send private messages to me or to any one.

That privilege is not given to me, in this forum. Look at my name, there wont be any mention 'private message user" beneath it, the way you see under your name.

Moderator :

Private messaging / PM is not a " privilege " given to anyone in this forum . It is something one pays and gets it. Paying an annual subscription, you can get a PM facilty and gift it one friend as well. One PM user cannot send messages to another non-PM user. Both needs to have the PM facility by,
    I repeat-paying an annual subscription to message each other. This is FYI

8. rajikaran

rajikaran Silver IL'ite

dear dr indian guy
    my friend herselves is a doctor and she has understood his illness to be schizophrenia....he takes his meds regularly now but his attitude is generally very withdrawn and he is terribly unpredictable..eg,he will sit without talking for hours and on some occassions just keep on talking about irrelevant things...she has talked to his parents but they are like since you are married you should stay together for the rest of your lives..the inlaws are very polite to her and love her and try to correct th eguy when he goes overboard but on the whole they are not helpful...this guy lives in his own world...he is very intelligent but to any person it is obvious that he is weird becoz of intense social withdrawal....and my friend is really worried that she would have to spend the rest of her life in lonliness
    yours
    raji

9. Tridev

Tridev Silver IL'ite

You are right, this is a very serious disease and it can also lead to suicide. Last year I was trying hard to help one such victim from US who had posted on a website about how he is being followed . He was a IIT, a class A student and who has worked in top notch companies. He never stayed at one place more than 2 days. He used to post his whereabouts contact details and vanish to different city. He also opened his twitter account by name Jai vinayak so that people follow him . He was a total pscyhotic person. I had arranged a person in Delhi somehow when he wrote he is in Delhi to see if someone can help him. He had knife with him and threatened the person who was from a NGO that he will harm him. The NGO person said he thinks everyone is there to harm him.

A acquaintance of mine whose brother had same problem in Chennai jumpted into the sea and committed suicide.

This is an extremly , extremely dangerous mental disease Paranoid Schizophrenia.

10. Tridev

Tridev Silver IL'ite

You will seldom find people with Paranoid Schizophrenia who are not super intelligent. They have excelled in academics, have won medals. Their brain has worked superbly. They can do many things like booking tickets, traveling, working. While still believing someone is following them. The human brain is a mystery.

I am not sure how your friends family suggest because she is married she needs to pull on no matter what. To live with someone in this situation can turn other person mad. Not that one has to desert someone , but she was cheated right from first stage. Second mistake is your friends, she is a doctor and after few days of marriage she got to know about his condition and still she did not say anything. Being a doctor does she not know what is Paranoid Schizophrenia..?

She spend 13 years with this guy and now she has kids and what is she expecting now?