1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Friend Selling Home - Go To The Open House?

Discussion in 'Friends & Neighbours' started by Rihana, Sep 15, 2016.

1. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

A friend in the area is selling their house, and they have an open-house coming up. Not a close friend - I know her because our kids were friends when younger.

Is it OK to go to the open house? I am not interested in buying her house. If I go, it would be just as a looky-loo. Idle curiosity. Staged open house.

So, should I go? What do you think?

Last edited: Sep 15, 2016

2. Rihana

Looky-loo:

1. People who just come to look.
    2. People who go out of their way to look at people or something often causing crowds and more disruption.
    3. People who go out in public just to see an event that doesn't really concern them -- such as collecting home-improvement ideas for their own house while mooching a free open-house tour.

Source: Urban Dictionary: lookyloo

3. centsibleindian

centsibleindian Silver IL'ite

Is she the selling agent as well? Typically only the seller agent will be present during open house. I don't see a problem.

4. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

Absolutely! I love to snoop at open houses. Your friend won't be there and as long as the agent doesn't know you no one will be the wiser. Just don't write your name down in the agents' book!

sindmani and Rihana like this.
  5. Rihana

They are not going to be present in the house, I gathered. I was thinking is it kind of peeping Tom behavior to go look at house of people we know. Borderline voyeuristic?

6. Rihana

: ) I am relieved to not receive the backlash I expected. If I go, I shall go guilt-free. : ) And hopefully will come back with idea, and will remember to not give agent, friend suggestions on how to dress up the house better. : )

7. zales

zales Silver IL'ite

I don't see why not! A friend/neighbor sold their house some time ago and we went to the open house. We both have the same house model and we wanted to see how the house was presented to potential buyers. We also spoke to her agent about our plans of eventually selling ours. She (the agent) even came and took a Look at our house and suggested what chnges we need to make before we list ours to make it more appealing in the market. Our friend and her family were not present, but she knows we were there. We complimented them on how nice the house was and she recommended that we use the same agent (which we plan on-the house sold in less than three weeks after the open house!). So it's really not a bad thing or anything!

8. yellowmango

yellowmango IL Hall of Fame

Go get your cheap thrills girl!!!:beer-toast1:
    Never miss out on those!!!:p

coolgal123, KashmirFlower and Rihana like this.
  9. Amica

Amica IL Hall of Fame

Just a heads-up: Some people install hidden security cameras and record visitors to open houses.

Later when they watch the tape and read the guest list, they'll say, "OMG! Her real name is Rihana! She was lying to us all this time." :p :lol:

I'm too chicken to do more than virtual tours. :blush:

jskls and Rihana like this.
  10. Rihana

LOL. : ) Naah.. they can't do that surreptitiously.. illegal...... But point is valid. Many people have surveillance cameras set up in and around house.. for safety plus i believe insurance also gives a discount for that. So I will have to dress up!!! Idea cancel. : )

Amica likes this.