1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Friend is upset due to noisy neighbour: please advice!

Discussion in 'Friends & Neighbours' started by generic, Aug 24, 2015.

1. generic

generic Gold IL'ite

I came to know of an issue faced by a friend of mine..My friend has shifted newly to an apartment along with hubby and in laws..They really like it, and it suits their requirements in terms of location, amenities etc...The problem is that the flat next to theirs is occupied by a married couple - husband, wife, kid,..
    Problem is that the kid (boy) who is around 2-3 years old is too active and makes lot of noise at night...The kid seems to be somewhat hyperactive by nature and the parents also face difficulty in looking after the kid..
    My friend and her husband are disturbed quite often in the middle of the night..
    They approached the neighbor regarding this, but the parents of the kid said that they understand the problem, but there is nothing they can do about it, kids are like that only, etc..
    Now my friend is a kind hearted and sensitive girl and does understand that kids can be noisy and sympathizes with the family next door..but the problem is that her sleep and husband's sleep is often disturbed at night and she comes to office totally exhausted and sleep deprived..as it is she has been following a very tight schedule , i.e, she has up at 6am in the morning to cook breakfast+lunch for herself and inlaws..then leaves for office at 8 am and returns home late..She just gets about 6 hrs of sleep a day which is occasionally interrupted by the yelling of the kid..there are some days when the kid sleeps well, some days when the kid yells through out the night.
    Maybe once the kid grows up he will adjust to a normal sleeping pattern..but it'll take couple of years atleast..
    What can she do in this situation? Is it possible to handle diplomatically without causing issue or offending anyone?
    They live in India (in Chennai).
    I'm sure there are other people also who would have faced this issue in some way or the other, so please share the inputs.

2. preethiitech

preethiitech Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

She can buy ear plugs. Or try having some music in her room. But I wonder if the kid is so loud or your friend is super sensitive

sindmani and generic like this.
  3. generic

generic Gold IL'ite

The kid is really loud...My friend and her husband both are disturbed due to him.
    Earplugs:They tried it, but it kind of irritates their ears when used throughout the night.. also if the alarm clock rings in the morning or if the domestic helps ring the doorbell in the morning they won't be able to hear it :(

sindmani likes this.
  4. Cool10

Cool10 Silver IL'ite

She can try using noise dampening mats on the walls of her bedroom that are common with the neighbor's wall. Sound proof material should do the trick. Thick wall tapestries, carpets pinned to common wall, etc are some budget friendly ideas.

Otherwise if money is not a constraint then sounds dampening pads are available in market/online.

sindmani, pear and generic like this.
  5. 1Sandhya

1Sandhya Platinum IL'ite

see if it was in US, I would have said, contact the landlord or contact the apartment management and complain. insist they fix the problem or you will break the lease and move to a different place. But I dont know if you can do that in India.

sindmani and generic like this.
  6. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

Any way they can switch their bedroom so its away from the noise?
    I don't blame them for not using earplugs, I find them uncomfortable too. If things like white-noise machines or sound absorbing fabrics don't work then they may have no choice but to move.
    The neighbors sound obnoxious, frankly.

sindmani, guesshoo and generic like this.
  7. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

It's a 2-3 yrs old kid. Not a teen. Trust me, no matter how diplomatically you put it, there is nothing the parents can do to make the kid stop. Sleep issues in kids over two are not common but the ones that have it is a parent's worst nightmare. Even with a prescription sleep aid I have seen parents of such kids struggle. Some kids outgrow it only when they become teens. It's best your friend looks for an alternative. I wouldn't want to be the neighbour telling a parent that such sleep issues and hyperactivity and their inability to control the kid all means the child has some underlying issue. Definitely not common in typically developing pre schoolers. Most sleep through the night by eighteen months of age and almost never cry for hours together at night unless really ill.

sindmani, pear and generic like this.
  8. ambicavyomini

ambicavyomini New IL'ite

Can do the same and irritate the neighbor then see the reaction and respond on that

9. generic

generic Gold IL'ite

Wouldnt that be rude..

ambicavyomini likes this.