1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Freezing food.

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by Nitha J, Jul 3, 2009.

1. Nitha J

Nitha J IL Hall of Fame

Ammukutty;
    Thanks for the idiappam and idaly ideas.
    For me squeezing idiappam is a little hard work. I call him to help me in it. Once I go to kerala, I will buy a shoulder/hand friendly idiappam squeezer.
    Will peanut chutney stay fresh for some weeks? Do we have to freeze it?
    - Nitha

2. Ammukutty

Ammukutty Bronze IL'ite

No I mean to make it fresh...freezing I have no idea...yeah get a good press or else making idiyappam can be tough

3. Grace3

Grace3 Silver IL'ite

Hi Nitha,

Check out the recipes + pictorial instructions for freezing parathas . You can even freeze paruppu usili ...:)

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 15, 2010
  4. Nitha J

Nitha J IL Hall of Fame

:wowGrace,
    I cannot thank you enough. Step by step freezing instructions with pictures.
    :thankyou2:
    -Nitha

5. chaaral

chaaral Silver IL'ite

Nitha,
    you have already got great ideas, i also freeze idly, dried beans like black eyed beans, green gram dhal, chicke peas etc for easy use.
    also make lots of thokku and chutneys which will be good in fridge itself. and will be a good side dish for idly /roti.
    while freezing roti make sure not to apply oil or ghee, when he heats the roti he can apply little ghee or oil to it.
    for idiyappamu can buy the frozen idyappam from indian grocery store which is very good and easy for them, healthy too becos it is steamed ones.
    also i stock up some the freezer with frozen parottos which he can use when he is bored of roti/idly etc.
    i also freeze coconut paste for thoran and stock up frozen veges like green beans (cut ones) so he just have to cook the beans with the thoran coconut paste to make fresh thoran once in a while.
    also make bitter gourd chips, plantain chips etc.
    i dont like the frozen dhal/sambhar and dh also doesn't like the taste. so i freeze only gravies like chicke peas gravy, chicken thick gravy.
    i also marinate chicken and fish pieces , with 4 pieces in each ziplock so he can thaw it in the morning and fry it in night.
    paruppu usili mix also is very handy when frozen.

6. aachus

aachus Junior IL'ite

hi will u wash veg before cutting n freezing n when taken for cooking will u wash it again?

7. uma321

uma321 Platinum IL'ite

aachus,
    I wash vegetables before cutting and freezing. I don't wash them when I take them out for cooking.

8. nehausa

nehausa Senior IL'ite

basically u can freeze anything,,cooked/raw

some cooked things good for freezing..are
    chicken/nonveg
    cooked subzi
    gobhi matar,
    aloo
    all veggies,,

the one thing is freeze in batch once thawed dont freeze it again
    second dont freeze hot let it cool..
    it can last 3month-6months..

9. tashidelek2002

tashidelek2002 IL Hall of Fame

Vegetables should be blanched for 3-4 mins before freezing to get the best quality. It neutralizes enzymatic activity. The other thing is to get rid of air around the item to be frozen which is why the vac bags are so good. If these things are done you can keep veg frozen for a year or more. Fish should be covered in water and frozen in a block.

10. writeme

writeme Silver IL'ite

Great ideas!!

When freezing idlis, should we thaw it before heating in microwave? Or microwaving direct from freezer? And about freezing dosa batter, should we ferment the batter and then freeze it? Have never thought that way!

Has anyone tried freezing rice varieties like pulav or biriyani? Does it taste good and fresh while reheating?

Anymore tips or ideas for freezing indian food?