Freezing And Re-heating Cooked Cauliflour, Lady Finger

Discussion in 'Cuisines of India' started by ChennaiExpress, Aug 30, 2018.

1. ChennaiExpress

ChennaiExpress IL Hall of Fame

My mom pre-cooks cauliflour, plus pre-cooks lady finger. Each day, I give heat a spoonful of each for my Dad's dinner.

I am scared of it spoiling because my Dad eats less dinner (very slow metabolism at his age).

Yesterday, I put the cooked cauliflour and lady finger in freezer. Now I took it out to thaw.

I am concerned that the taste and consistency got messed up. Am I over-worrying.

On one hand, Dad hates eating veggies (he rather eat Dosa, Idly, Sambar, Chicken, Goat Meat, Naan, Rice, etc, etc), but for his health.

On the other hand, I wish that the veggies taste best as possible.

2. Imani

Imani New IL'ite

He will probably be your best guide in regards to if he likes the taste and consistency of the food. I think frozen cauliflower is not bad. I think it tends to be pretty similar in taste and consistency. Lady fingers are desert cookies right? (because sometimes different dishes sometimes have the same names) Some deserts are ok when frozen though they can get more dry because of it. I would think food safety is primary concern especially if he takes awhile to eat everything. I think the secondary issue would be if he likes it. It would seem to help if you can just unfreeze what you need since he is not eating much. Best wishes!

3. poovai

poovai Platinum IL'ite

There are good frozen vegetables available in the freezer section of grocery store. It is cheaper to buy / portion size it to cook, daily.

Also, I like Trader Joe's - various mix of frozen vegetable pack. You can make quick stir fry rice or simply by adding onion / tomato to make it as sabzi or even vegetable wraps.