1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Four Week Old Baby Head Not Round Anymore!

Discussion in 'Infants' started by EagerForInfo, Aug 11, 2016.

1. EagerForInfo

EagerForInfo Gold IL'ite

My baby is four week old. But his head is all misshaped. It was fine when he was born . If it was misshaped at the back u could think it is from sleeping in the same position but it is mishaped and flat in the front and looks really odd ! My mother in law keeps saying she is making the baby's head round by pressing it in the morning I suspect she has something to do with it. But i don't care who did it but what do I do to fix it !!! Please help!

Bashuli likes this.

2. blindpup10

blindpup10 Platinum IL'ite

@EagerForInfo- Where are you?
    If you are in the US, your pediatrician will suggest you to get a helmet for the baby and yes your insurance will cover it.
    This is much safer method than pressing the babies head or altering its sleeping position.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2016
    Bashuli and Bubbles like this.
  3. chocolate

chocolate Platinum IL'ite

OP, Congrats on the baby. Ask your pediatrician the concerns you have. Don't worry kids head shape change all the time. Until they turn toddler you cant say it will be the same. My kid had perfectly round shape when he was born. Now being a toddler his head shape is nothing but round. Don't let your MIL do experiments on baby's head. Take him to his next check up and ask the doctor. Don't worry its normal. Good Luck.

Bubbles likes this.
  4. bron

bron Silver IL'ite

I think there is nothing to worry..everyones head is not perfectly round and it may take few more nonths for your baby to settle..

I have heard people suggesting mustard pillow for this do google and see

5. deeprapriya

deeprapriya Gold IL'ite

OP,

In my native also, they used to do massage for baby head, but they dont press it hard.

Whenever, you put oil, just give a oil massage for 15 mins around the back of his head. THis will be fine.

If your baby is sleeping in 'thooli/thottil/cradle', place a thin cushion kind of set up using a cotton saree. this also will help.

But it is not big thing to worry, it will change soon.

6. PhoenixAwoken

PhoenixAwoken Bronze IL'ite

Don't let anyone do ANY kind of massage to the baby. Some babies get hurt and lead to emergencies. You can apply moisturiser yourself gently all over.
    And tell your MIL it is dangerous and doctor said so. the front of baby's head is soft, the skull hasn't fully formed. That area SHOULD NOT be touched.

Now a days doctors are advising against oil massage, since there were cases of swollen nerves, arteries etc because of massaging.

7. sugnav

sugnav Senior IL'ite

Hi,
    My DD had the same issue.she had flat head one side.We too were concerned and asked our paediatrician, he said that it has happens as infants prefer one side and ll be fine once she moves around.it got corrected once she turned 3 months old.

This was my experience. Pls do discuss with your paediatrician which will put your mind at ease.....

Definitely giving a firm massage to change the shape is not advisable.....your doc will be able to Give the right recommendation

yellowmango likes this.
  8. EagerForInfo

EagerForInfo Gold IL'ite

Pediatrician did not seem to care. But it felt like he did not know what to say or do. It is really odd. The shape . U can see thumbprints next to his eyebrows. Will the thumbprints go away if I make sure no one messes with his head . She says people in India do that and that she has massaged 100 of kids. But looking at this I don't believe it. There are thumbprints next to the eyebrows I tell u!

9. yellowmango

yellowmango IL Hall of Fame

OP...your mil is using force to shape the head. Do not let her do that.
    Massaging is one thing...but trying to shape the head by force is dangerous.
    Tell your mil ,if the doctor or neighbors see the thumbprints ,they will report it to the authorities and they will take action . Is your mil a professional masseuse that she has massaged 100s of babies?

Please give the massage yourself...tell her you have learnt from seeing her and you will manage from now.
    Such small babies are delicate and need to be treated that way.

10. PhoenixAwoken

PhoenixAwoken Bronze IL'ite

Did you hire a masseuse? Fire her.
    If it's your mil, Don't let her near your child, do whatever required to keep her away. Tell your husband and everyone in the house. She's dangerous in her ignorance and persistence.
    Get assistance from your mom or other relatives.
    You have to protect your defenseless baby.

EagerForInfo likes this.