1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Forget The Risk And Take The Fall. If Its What You Want Then Its Worth It All..

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Shreema86, Jul 5, 2017.

1. Shreema86

Shreema86 Platinum IL'ite

Two of the younger generation in my family took their plus 2 exams this year.. Once the stress of exams is done, I personally think this is the most magical time of all of our lives... We are finished with the two hell years of rigorous studies and endless tutions and we finally feel free. The future lies ahead with endless possibilities and our life is like a blank canvas , waiting to be painted . So I waited with excitement to see what my niece and nephew would take up.. So when my niece called me up and told me that she has taken up computer science in a so called prestigious university in town, I had to hide my slight disappointment and instead mouth the mandatory oh great,congratulations speech.

I was disappointed not because we as a society are churning out software engineers like a factory production but because she doesn't have any real interest in the course she is going to take . She took it up because it was a "safe, assured " path. A lucrative package as soon as you are out of college and then a steady climb up the ladder ensuring that you have a 2 bedroom house in an up coming development far from the city and 2 kids studying in an international school , by the time you are 40 , by which time you will be finally considered "settled".

I understand this "follow the crowd and you will be safe" mentality. I was once there too. Its so ingrained in all of us who grow up in Indian society , that we barely even notice this. Take 90 percent of the people in any group and you will find they have similar lives, similar goals. Anyone who wants to do anything differently will have 20 people around dissuading him/her from doing that . Our society is afraid of unconventionality . Any one who is not in a assured money job , not married by 30, doesn't have kids by 32 , doesn't have a house by 35 becomes a social outcaste . Few people think beyond pursuing engineering, medical or commerce related professions .

Easy to tell people to follow their passion, but what if that passion doesn't earn them enough ?.. I have always had this argument thrown at me, when I advise people to take up only what they really want. Yes, I understand how complicated it is to take up a course in journalism , when you have two parents who slogged their whole life to fund your school fees eagerly waiting for you to grab that general merit free seat in computer science . Nope its not easy , you have to walk a path of thorns. But as someone who did walk that path, all I can say is that its worth it, totally worth it. If you love your career path and job, if it makes you jump out of bed everyday excited , then you are way ahead than anybody else, no matter how much they are earning . And If you are passionate about what you do, no matter how hard or long it takes , you will definitely make something out of it. So to all young people at their life's crossroads, I only have this to say," Forget the risk and take the fall, if its what you want, its worth it all".

Amica, periamma, SCSusila and 6 others like this.

2. Umanga

Umanga Gold IL'ite

I think this is nice and all but most people who pursue their passions end up failing and become a burden for their families. And if you are interested in a life in the arts or a life of the mind, then the University is really the wrong place for you.

You don't have to go to University to learn how to be a good writer, a good intellectual or a good social or political activist. These things just happen to you through life experience. Going to University only makes sense if you are going to do a vocational course like Law, Medicine, Engineering et cetera and actually end up pursuing that vocation.

Mostly, when people are talking about pursuing their passions they are implying their disinterest in the Sciences and Mathematics and their calling to the arts.

My point is, if you really want to pursue your passion, don't waste time doing a course related to it at University.

The thing is, somebody needs to fund that passion. Who is going to fund it? Parents will fund studies or any such venture if it leads to a stable income at the end of it. Pursuing passions is unpredictable and rarely leads to a stable income or outcome.

So, think long and hard before pursuing your passions. We only hear of the Arundhati Roys, the Pankaj Mishras and the Kangana Ranauts. They took a chance, pursued their passions and become famous and successful, even somebody like Modi for that matter, spurned a conventional life and followed his passion.

But, nobody hears about those millions of broken dreams. People who ran away from home or did some hopeless course at University and turned out to be good-for-nothings. More needs to be written about them.

I would like to end with a question. What would you rather your niece do if not Computer Science? I hope it is not an arts-related subject.

3. armummy

armummy Platinum IL'ite

It is all about passion and talent , many would want to be singers but there need to be critical assessment to see if the person is an exceptional singer who has a chance of making it big or is one of many who do singing for ine pass as thinks oneself as great singer as family members say they are great singers.

If one has real Passion it may make sense to pursue it , but not just to be out of the race . At the End if you do Not have an assured means to fend for yourself all the passion will end up in depressed life .

We need to be careful specially in India where there is no govt feeding unemployed people .

4. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

So, what can the young person tell the parents who slogged? When the discussions about the future are happening in class XI and class XII, what valid and convincing arguments can the young person present other than "I am passionate" about this subject/career? More so, if the parents had to cut some corners, and make some sacrifices to educate the child.

Parents usually have two worries: can or how will the child support himself/herself at 22 years or more of age. The other is, whether the parents can expect a little financial help from child in their old age.

Sounds good to read and hear, but does not answer real world questions. If the job does not get you a basic standard of living, is it still worth it? Totally worth it? Is the person still ahead of others?

How long might "no matter how long it takes" be?
    "take the fall" reminded me of a nice line from a Whitney Houston song: "The ride with you was worth the fall, my friend". When taking up a risky venture of any kind, ask yourself if the ride is going to be worth the possible/eventual fall.

Many young men and women from middle class or lower middle class families face this choice as teenagers or in their early twenties. The times we live in are different. Our job or career does not define us any more. It is possible to make a living doing something one is reasonably good at. Take a job or career that gives you a decent standard of living, and also allows you to save some time and money for your hobbies, talents, passion. Once stable and independent, and having had some experience in the job and in the hobby/talent/passion, look for ways to combine the two, or to make your passion/talent pay more.

The average software engineer can afford a Rs 50,000 piano to learn how to play it if he wants to. The average piano player cannot afford the piano he wants to buy so badly. Don't mix up "making a living" with "pursuing your passion". For a very minuscule percentage, the two coincide. For the rest, they don't and that is fine.

5. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

Just saw this yesterday :) Please do take a look..

Just start doing something..whatever it is..
    passion will follow

Shreema86 likes this.
  6. sokanasanah

sokanasanah IL Hall of Fame

This is what I would really like to hear about!:wink1:
    :beer-toast1:

Amica, Shreema86 and Shanvy like this.
  7. sokanasanah

sokanasanah IL Hall of Fame

To be fair to OP, she wasn't talking about a shiftless search for one's passion. :wink1:
    It was rather more about staying true to a passion one already has and/or not following the herd.:beer-toast1:

Shreema86 and Shanvy like this.
  8. GoneGirl

GoneGirl Gold IL'ite

Nice post and discussion Shreema.
    Some of my thoughts regarding this issue are these..
    How many Indian kids at the age of 16 know or find what their passion in life is? They do rely heavily on parents and others guidance in terms of career..so hard to blame the kid when there isnt enough exposure..
    Also it isnt uncommon for lot of academically well performing kids to not have a burning passion towards a specific field or career, but they may just do well in whatever field they choose..
    I would be upset if your niece wanted to study something else, and her parents forced her into this without her interest.. but doesnt seem to be the case based on your description.. so what's the problem?

9. Shreema86

@GoneGirl , for an ambivalent kid who is not sure what he/she wants to do the default option should not be to push them towards a mainstream course. There is a probability that they might not go on to like their course and their career path and end up burning out soon( which is bound to happen if you are doing something you dont care much about) They should be exposed to many other fields, who knows , something there might pique their interest. In some schools that following an IB curriculum its mandatory after 10th grade to do 3-4 one week internships in fields of their choice so they are aware of them. If its not part of school curriculum parents should introduce them to different professional fields.

satchitananda likes this.
  10. Shreema86

@anika987 i have seen this video, huge ted talks fan! But with Tedtalks if you have one episode with a speaker saying sugar is bad for you , the next one will say sugar is the best for your health.. AT the end of the day tedtalks is all about different perspectives!

anika987 likes this.