1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

For The Love Of My Language

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by jskls, Aug 8, 2019.

1. jskls

jskls IL Hall of Fame

True Anusha! We are a diverse country and most of us speak 3-4 languages. We all respect each other's language culture and traditions. I am more worried about the locals who don't have the drive to learn their mother tongue or carry it forward to next generation. There is no mandatory in education system to learn the language too. How will the outsiders learn the local language in that scenario? Unless or otherwise one develops a flair for the language the condition might not improve. There was a neeya naana talk show last year which showed how other state people had learnt so much in Tamil becuase of its richness in literature. But that is only handful.

2. jskls

jskls IL Hall of Fame

Agree mam to everything you have shared except Tamil ini - mella veliyooril vaazhum. Thanks for sharing your views

3. jskls

jskls IL Hall of Fame

Yes @stayblessed, when people who come to work could learn the local language. Even our state is not doing anything to mandate the language learning in schools for younger generation. Locals are also not insisting their children to learn the regional language unless if it is forced in schools. So responsiblity lies on the parents to teach the language to a basic minimum so that down the road Tamil will not just be in the name of the state TN.

stayblessed likes this.
  4. jskls

jskls IL Hall of Fame

100% true

stayblessed likes this.
  5. jskls

jskls IL Hall of Fame

There lies the problem Thyagarajan sir. Our people will not say " Enakku purila tamizhla pesunga" instead they will want to impress and speak other languages. It's good that Chennai is a big cosmopolitan city now but it would be nice if tamil is also spoken along with other languages

I did have a hard time learning hindi as I was we moved to north and the school where everyone was a tamilian but spoke only Hindi . our neighbor children would close our door from outside and it was a struggle for us to get help and the first few words I learnt at 8 was darwazaa kholo. No matter how much we banged they wouldn't open the door until we speak in Hindi.

Thyagarajan likes this.
  6. jskls

jskls IL Hall of Fame

I have met a few chinese who run a tamil show in Beijing radio. The purity of the language they speak even I cannot speak. Hats off to them

Thyagarajan likes this.
  7. jskls

jskls IL Hall of Fame

True Viswa sir. Vanthaarai vaazhavaikkum Tamizhagam but Tamizh tamizhnaatil vaazhumaa therila meaning Don't know if tamil will continue to live in TN. If local language is learnt and spoken then it would be nice.

Nice that your son keeps in touch with the language. I know that in the recent years language schools here are providing opportunities to present gen kids in learning the regional language. Hopefully it will be easy for your grand kids to learn Tamil.

Thyagarajan and Viswamitra like this.
  8. jskls

jskls IL Hall of Fame

That is very nice of your daughter to teach Madurai tamil to your grand kids maa. It is so nice to hear children speak fluently

Thyagarajan likes this.
  9. jskls

jskls IL Hall of Fame

This time when I visited Hyd I did not hear a single word of Telugu anywhere except when I met my relatives. I speak broken Telugu with them but that's how much I learnt. Yes as you say mixing has happened slowly that when we visit it comes as a big shock to us. Maybe interior Andhra could still retain the Sundara Telugu speaking people.

Thyagarajan likes this.
  10. jskls

jskls IL Hall of Fame

Hi Vidya, yes it was irritating to answer in Hindi in Chennai. Atleast they could learn the basic customer interaction sentences. If they are forced to they will learn as it is survival for them.
    Good to know about you service to the Tamil language. I am sure many such volunteers will carry this language to the next generation. vaazhga ungal thondu

vidhyalakshmid and Thyagarajan like this.