For the love of cooking

Discussion in 'Recipe Central' started by miscellaneous, Feb 7, 2012.

1. ILoveTulips

ILoveTulips IL Hall of Fame

Hi misc i liked ll your recipes... thanks for sharing with us. will try ad let you know... i always wanted to try my hands on bakibg...

2. miscellaneous

miscellaneous Silver IL'ite

Minestrone inspired soup

This is a very easy to make healthy,low fat and wholesome soup. I took some pretty pictures during the prep work but forgot to put the memory card in the camera. So unfortunately I only have a picture of the finished product. Leftovers are delicious.

Ingredients
    3/4 cup Chickpeas/ Garbanzo beans (cooked or canned, reserve water-1/2 cup)
    1 bunch Rainbow chard/kale (or any other green leaf)
    2 Carrots, chopped
    3 ribs of Celery, chopped
    1 Tomato ,blanched and crushed (or a small can of tomatoes)
    1/2 cup Pasta (uncooked, change according to preference)
    1.5 cups Chicken stock
    2 cloves Garlic cloves, minced
    1 Big Bay leaf
    Olive oil
    salt and pepper

Instructions
    1. Cook the pasta until al dente (a little undercooked is better)
    2. Heat the olive oil in a pan and add the minced garlic
    3. When the garlic starts smelling fragrant add the chopped carrots and celery along with a pinch of salt.
    4. Let the vegetables cook for a few minutes with the lid on and add the stock,tomatoes,chickpeas and pasta.
    5. Add the water used to cook the chickpeas (if using dry garbanzo beans)
    5. Add chopped chard and cook for about 5-10 minutes on medium heat with the lid on.
    6. Season with salt and pepper and serve warm.

Serving Instructions
    Serve this soup with some good crusty bread or crackers.

Notes:
    The pasta and chickpeas make the soup a complete meal with the added protein and carbs.
    I like my vegetables a little on the crunchy side so I only cook this soup for a few minutes.
    A good homemade chicken stock is the key to a tasty soup, if you don't have the time for it do buy a good basic chicken stock without added salt.
    To make the recipe vegetarian, chicken stock can be substituted with veggie stock.
    Chick peas can be substituted with cooked and chopped chicken breast.

Attached Files:

3. miscellaneous

Almond upside down chocolate cake

This is a recipe by chef Gale Gand. I made this cake for the birthday of a dear one. Its pretty easy to make and requires no extra frosting.

Ingredients
    For the topping
    slivered almonds - 1.25 cups
    Brown sugar - 3/4 cup
    Honey - 1/4 cup
    Butter - 6 Tbs

For the Batter
    Cake flour - 1.25 cups
    Cocoa powder - .5 cup
    sugar - 1.5 cups
    butter - 1/2 cup
    eggs - 3 (large)
    buttermilk - 1 cup
    baking soda - 1 tsp
    salt - .5 tsp
    vanilla extract - 1tsp

Instructions
    1. Preheat oven to 350 and butter a round 9 or 10 inch cake pan.
    2. Toast the slivered almonds.
    3. Melt butter in a small sauce pan and add the brown sugar to it, mix well.
    4. Pour the butter and brown sugar mixture into the pan and drizzle with honey.
    5. Place an even layer of slivered almond on top and place the pan aside.
    6. Sift the flour,cocoa powder, salt and baking powder together thrice, this will make the cake light.
    7. Cream the butter and add the sugar, mix well.
    8. Add one egg at a time ,mixing well after each egg. Beat until fluffy.
    9. Add 1/3 of the four mix and mix well on low speed and then add 1/2 cup of buttermilk.
    10. Mix in another 1/3 of the flour mix, and then add the remaining butter milk along with vanilla extract and mix well until there are no lumps.
    11. Add the leftover flour mix and make sure everything is well incorporated.
    12. Pour the batter onto the layer of almonds and bake for about 45-55 minutes until the center is not jiggly anymore.
    13. Let the cake rest for 5-10 mins after its baked. Run a knife through the edges of the cake and invert it over a serving platter.*
    14.If there any nuts left in the pan, heat it on low and pour the melted syrup over the cake.

Serving Instructions
    Serve as a dessert after dinner or as a simple birthday cake or pamper yourself with a slice along with coffee.

Notes:
    The cake is immensely rich and chocolaty.*
    I only made 2/3rd of the batter. I used a 6 by 3 pan and was left with enough batter for 2 cupcakes.*
    I did not use all the butter and honey called for in the recipe as I do not like my desserts too sweet.
    This cake rises quite a bit, so make sure that you leave some space on top for that.
    It keeps well at room temperature for 2-3 days.
    If you are using a 9 inch pan you might be left with some batter (make cupcakes …:) )
    This cake is so easy to make and pleasing to look at without the additional pain of making frosting and decorating.
    As you all know that I am challenged in the creativity department this is my type of cake, pretty by itself.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 18, 2012
  4. miscellaneous

Thanks Tulips. Do try and let me know...:)

5. miscellaneous

Whole wheat bread

Easy partially whole wheat loaf for your entire family to enjoy. I used the recipe from smittenkitchen, one of the many food blogs I am in love with.

Ingredients
    Bread flour - 2.5 cups
    Whole wheat flour - 1.5 cups
    Instant Yeast - 1.5 tsp
    salt - 1.5 tsp
    Honey or sugar - 1.5 TBS
    Powdered milk - 3 TBS
    Butter - 2 TBS
    Water - 1.25 cups

Instructions
    1. Mix together bread flour, whole wheat flour, salt, sugar, powdered milk and yeast in a big mixing bowl (4 quart).
    2. Add water and sugar/honey and mix together to fall a soft ball of dough. Add more water if necessary.
    3. Knead the dough on a well floured surface for about 10 minutes until dough is soft ad not sticky.
    4. Place the dough in a well oiled bowl and cover with foil. Let rest in a warm place until the dough doubles in size (1.5 - 2 hrs)
    5. Place the dough on a flat surface and press by hand to make a 6 by 10 rectangle. Roll the dough starting from the shorter side and pinch the seams as you roll it.
    6. Place the dough in a well oiled bread pan, seam side down. Spray with oil and cover loosely with a foil.
    7. Let the dough raise for 60 to 90 minutes . Heat the oven to 350.
    8. Bake time is between 40-60 minutes. You will know that the bread is done when it sounds hollow when you tap it and the crust has a nice golden brown color.
    9. Let the bread cool for about 2 hours before slicing it.

Serving Instructions
    Use to make all kinds of sandwiches.

Notes:
    Make sure to knead the dough well and add enough water.
    In retrospect, I should have added more water as my dough was still pretty tough after all the kneading.

Attached Files:

6. miscellaneous

Naan

I made two mistakes while making this recipe. First, I started this recipe when I was almost hungry and by the time I was ready to make the naan, I was very hungry and impatient. Second, I added too much water and forgot the kneading step. Nonetheless the naans were very tasty and satisfied my bread craving for the day. My recipe is a mix of recipes from manjula's kitchen and vahrevah.

Ingredients
    1 cup All purpose flour
    1/2 tsp Active dry yeast
    1 Tbs Oil
    1.25 Tbs Yogurt
    6 Tbs Lukewarm water (approx)
    1/2 tsp sugar
    1/2 tsp salt

Instructions
    1. Add the lukewarm water to the yeast and let rest in a warm place for 10 minutes or until it froths.
    2. Add the flour, salt, sugar, oil and yogurt and mix well.
    3. Knead the dough on a well oiled surface for a few minutes.
    4. Place the dough in a well oiled bowl and let it ferment in a warm place until it doubles.
    5. Preheat the oven to the highest temperature setting (if using an oven)
    6. On a well oiled surface, divide the dough into 3 or four parts and flatten them out. Let rest for about 10 minutes.
    7. Hand stretch each dough into a tear drop shape or use a rolling pin. Add any toppings if using.

Oven method
    1. Place a cast iron skillet or pizza stone in the oven. Let it preheat for at least 10 minutes.
    2. Place the stretched dough on the hot cast iron pan or pizza stone and let cook for a bout 2-3 minutes. Turn and cook for another minute or two.
    3. Brush with butter or ghee and serve hot.

Stove top method
    1. Heat a cast Iron skillet and place the stretched dough in it.
    2. Once the dough puffs up turn and cook on the other side. If you are lucky enough to have a gas range, cook the second side on an open flame until it chars a bit.

Serving Instructions
    Serve hot with a spicy curry or use as a base for a simple and quick indian pizza or just eat it on its own.

Notes:
    I took a tip from a vahrevah chef, Sanjay thumma and added more water than required. I am not sure if that was the reason why the naans came out soft.
    I had to hand stretch the dough and use a lot of flour and oil as my dough was too wet and sticky for a rolling pin.
    My internet search came up with a lot of other ways to make naan, but the oven method is the only one I can vouch for.
    The naans tasted very good, I had mine plain, with some leftover mutton curry.
    I was too hungry to add any toppings or brush with butter/ghee like I planned previously. Feel free to add garlic, cilantro etc and also brush with butter/ghee.

Attached Files:

• Naan.jpg
      Naan.jpg
      File size:
      942.4 KB
      Views:
  7. miscellaneous

Chicken and Avocado Soup

This is another easy,healthy and filling soup from Gina's skinny recipes. This recipe serves 2.

Ingredients
    1 Avocado, cubed
    2-3 Tbs Scallions or onions
    1 Cooked Chicken breast or a block of tofu, cubed
    2 Cloves Garlic, finely chopped
    2-3 Cups Chicken stock
    1/4-1/2 Cilantro
    1 tsp Olive oil
    1 tsp cumin
    1 tsp chili powder

Instructions
    1. Heat about a tsp of olive oil and add the finely chopped garlic.*
    2. Add scallions/onions and cook until soft.
    3. Add chicken stock, cumin and bring to a boil. Let simmer for about 10 minutes.
    4. Add chicken, avocado,tomato and finely chopped cilantro and let simmer for a couple of minutes.
    5. Add lime as desired and serve hot.

Serving Instructions
    This is a good soup to eat on a cold, grey winter evening.

Notes:
    I pressure cooked a frozen chicken breast for about 20 minutes and then chopped it up.

Attached Files:

1 person likes this.
  8. miscellaneous

Pesto Palmiers

This is an elegant looking and relatively easy appetizer.
    Recipe serves about 15 slices.

Ingredients
    Puff pastry sheet-1
    Basil leaves/Cilantro- 2-3 cups,loosely packed
    Garlic - 2 cloves
    Olive oil - 2-4 Tbs
    Walnuts/Almonds - 1/3 cups
    Parmesan - 1/4 cup
    Mortar and Pestle
    Salt and pepper

Instructions

Pesto
    1. Crush the chopped garlic along with salt in a mortar.
    2. Add the chopped basil and crush until smooth.
    3. Add the nuts and parmesan and crush well.
    4. Add olive oil slowly and crush/mix everything together until very soft.
    5. Season with salt and pepper.

Pesto palmiers
    1. Defrost a sheet of puff pastry.
    2. Spread the pesto evenly over the sheet. Sprinkle cheese.
    3. Mark the midpoint and gently roll the dough from both sides towards the midpoint.
    4. Freeze the roll wrapped in foil for about 30 minutes.
    5. Preheat the oven to 400.
    6. Slice the roll into 1/2-3/4 inch pieces.
    7. Bake for about 15 minutes, until golden brown.

Serving Instructions
    Makes a good appetizer at any dinner party and looks very elegant or for finger food along with wine for a girls night out.

Notes:
    If you do not have a mortar and pestle you can use a food processor or mixie. Add the oil gradually in the end.
    Chop the basil/cilantro as fine as possible before adding them to the mortar.
    Pesto makes a good sandwich spread, pasta sauce and adds great flavor to soups and dips.
    This recipe can be made ahead. Just freeze the sliced puff pastry and defrost and bake them right before a party.
    Sprinkle chopped olives, cheese, sun dried tomatoes etc on the puff pastry for more flavor.
    I prefer basil to cilantro and I like to add some lime juice before adding the pesto to pasta.
    Measurments For this recipe are a little vague and change with preference.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 22, 2012