1. The Great Big Must Read List : Find Interesting Book Suggestions
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

For the love of books……..

Discussion in 'Book Lovers' started by Megalife, Dec 6, 2011.

1. Megalife

Megalife Platinum IL'ite

Books have shaped my childhood imaginations in such a way that I still wonder if the hunchbacked gnome and pixies are for real. I find irresistible those elves, resembling a human with pointed ears, their mischievous nature and magical powers brought so much amusement in my life. Kind fairies granting boons,guarding treasures and mending spells cast by the evil, crooked nose witches who misused their wonder-working power malevolently. But as I approached adolescence, my thoughts were more confused by the wisdom of love, the guillotine and blue blood; Baroness Orczy and Charles Dickens dominated my life. Every day I would fly to Paris to experienceThe Scarlet Pimpernel, a fantastic adventure story narrated in a romantic mode! Bedtimes were reserved to experience London and Paris before and during the French Revolution (I believed in classy dreams), through “A Tale of Two Cities”. I admired Scottish ancestry because I loved R.L. Stevenson for his “Kidnapped’, a historical fiction adventure written in Lowland Scottish English. Dinner time made all these characters come alive, eating along with our family the simple dinner as eaten by Oliver Twist.
    Threshold of adulthood stimulated in me covetousness and lust :wink: :kiss, The Scarlet Letter quenched my thirst;. ...conceiving a daughter through an adulterous affair and struggles to create a new life of repentance and dignity. All the way through, Hawthorne plays with the themes of legalism, sin, and guilt. It is an extraordinary romantic work of fiction in a historical setting, Magnum opus of Nathaniel Hawthorne. Tolstoy’sAnna Karenina and War and Peace are unbeatable pinnacle of realistic fiction with bonus points from Megalife for his opening sentence in Anna Karenina “Happy families are all alike; every unhappy family is unhappy in its own way”. With this the next chapter in my life had embarked. Off I went to a distant land, a land where mountains rolled away to a distant horizon; but I never felt lonely. I had my piles of books with me to keep me company,they were my friends and advisors, with whom I could escape to my mysterious land, a land of my own. I was the Czarina:queen and I had great many followers!
    My tastes again transformed, I starting yearning for more and more of Dr. Robin Cook. Coma, Fever........ because he wrote about medicine and science, both of which were ice-axes to break the seas frozen inside my soul! You may call it obsession, addiction or passion…but I would call it liberation!
    As somebody rightly said , “The worth of a book is to be measured by what you can carry away from it, my books have taught me about distant land and cultures, of religion and religious tolerance, of romance, deception and love. Taught me to cherish simple things in life, to rescue a kitten, to reward a child……. to be human, to count my blessings rather than focusing on my troubles!
    A good book has no ending, similarly I can go on and on and on, but then I have to devote time to all modern day paraphernalia which has made my life so complicated. I can no longer read a book in tranquility; it is either my mobile, my iphone or internet which act like a spoiled child demanding time to time attention with their grumblings! This post goes out to all ardent lover of books to serve as a platter of literary appreciation; and to bonafide readers which are so many in here.:coffee
    Megalife

Last edited: Dec 6, 2011

2. Uttaraa

Uttaraa Platinum IL'ite

Dear Megalife,

Your journey from Pixies to Pimpernel is delightful to read. As an outward bibliophile (love the smell, stop there), I can only nod my head enthusiastically at every stage that you have so picturesquely described.

Now if you are wondering all that burning of the midnight oil has paid off as soot or sparkle, it is very evident in your writing. You have a radiant flair in your writing that takes the reader on a visual extravaganza !

I am glad that you greatly enjoyed the works of some of the greatest writers of all time.I was always confounded with Jane Austen. I remember reading Price and Prejudice in school days only to be revisited in college, followed by my drifting days at work - to find that every time I read it had a different appeal. The immortalized relationship between Lizzie and Darcy has always fascinated me and I concluded it different each time I thought I have nailed it ! I know it is no mystery novel but isn't that what classics do to you; expand your horizon and imagination beyond the realm of endearing characters. From a lovestruck lady in Mills and Boons to lovelorn minx in Sheldon's novels, I have always been amazed at the way these characters spring to life on introduction and take us into their surreal world..whoooosh.

I have heard of people rolling their tongues to get the perfect accent but you seem to have mastered the art of twirling your fingers to produce a matespiece! Fabulous ..:thumbsup

Last edited: Dec 6, 2011
    1 person likes this.
  3. Megalife

Megalife Platinum IL'ite

Dear Uttaraa
    Jane Austen, Pride and Prejudice almost made me fall in love with a newly moved in neighbour (i was 10 and he must have been 40)...hehehehe..:biglaugh..kidding! But honestly such was the effect of Great Expectations, Emma and Pride and Prejudice on me!
    Thanks for those awesome lines!
    Mega

1 person likes this.
  4. Arunarc

Arunarc Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Oh Dear
    You are one good bundle of knowledge, getting all these wonderful books under one post.
    Hmm what to say when 2 wonderful writers have written so well, what an FB Utharaa dear Hats off to both of you.
    I love to read books, just can't go to sleep without atleast reading a few pages every night. Paulo Coelho, Sheldon, Dan brown etc.. are some of my favourites.

5. knot2share

knot2share Gold IL'ite

You have a radiant flair in your writing that takes the reader on a visual extravaganza !

You too Uttaraa! Both you and Megalife have taken me on a magical ride. Just reading you both have actually brought the books to life!! Now how cool would it be, to actually read one of those books through you :).

I read books too, but very rarely do any of them have an everlasting impression on me to be able to recollect the story. I read, I enjoy them thoroughly, I close the book. That is the end of it. The Classics were something that stayed with me in school and not beyond. I was not able to appreciate them then. I might be now, since I have matured(?) a bit over time hopefully...ha! Or maybe I was not a romantic at heart then and I sure hope that I am now. I guess I better find that out for myself with a reading of Pride and Prejudice. My taste is very random. I used to be a huge fan of Robin Cook books because somewhere deep inside, was a pseudo doctor in me hoping to show her face. The books really keep me hooked on, even now and the medical terms interest me. Then came some others....My reading time is on the train on my way to work and way back. It is bliss.

1 person likes this.
  6. Soumedh

Soumedh Silver IL'ite

Hi megalife
    OMG! You have opened a virtual library here:) Appreciated!
    RGDS

7. Megalife

Megalife Platinum IL'ite

Hi Knottoshare and Aruna
    Uttaraa has given my post a CPR, absolutely! By still practising reading the two of you have set an example....and what's that???.....come what may...reading RULES(......me still in love with classics).! Nothing can live upto this hobby!
    Aruna, my sincere appreciation for moving this post to the rightful section.
    Thanks.
    Mega

1 person likes this.
  8. Megalife

Megalife Platinum IL'ite

Hi Soumedh
    Three cheers to you too.It takes an artist to appreciate a piece of art. Thank you.

Mega