1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Foods for the 6 to 9 month old baby

Discussion in 'Baby / Kids Foods' started by sonu_627, Dec 22, 2005.

1. parinith

parinith New IL'ite

Hi,

There are various methods to create ragi-kanji, so the method that you have mentioned also sounds fine.

The important point is you can give ragi only once a day, it is very heavy by itself, so it is not necessary to add ghee, also it will be better if you can give it in the morning or afternoon, as the kid has to be active for a while atleast which will help in digestion.

2. Nila

Nila New IL'ite

Is Ragi & Keppai the same?

Hi,

Sorry for barging into this thread with a different kind of query?

Is 'Ragi' the same as 'Keppai' (in tamil). Keppai powdered looks light brown in color.

Seetha,

You can try keppai kanji (hoping it is different from Ragi). This is a heavy nutritious kanji is what I heard from my elders.

I make keppai kanji for my 5 months old son. Proportion is 1 tsp keppai : 1 glass water. I boil this till it comes to kanji consistency. Then add milk + jaggery little for taste.

L,
    Nila

3. sunkan

sunkan Gold IL'ite

ragi kanji the easy method....

dear seetha,
    when my children were small my mother had made a wonderfull kanji for them...I am able to see ur from india, though this kanji is best done in the summer due to the availablity of sunlight...
    ragi 1kg
    1/2 table spoon of omam or ajwain...
    jaggery while making kanji to taste...
    now put this ragi in water and leave for 24hrs..
    then grind along with omam in a wet grinder and sieve it with muslin cloth untill u have taken out all the milk...now take large thambalam or big tray whichever can hold and keep it in sun for 3 to 4 days u will notice the water coming up just drain it by tilting the plates...and keep drying untill u have biscuit like pieces of the ragi milk...which can be stored in a bottle...but make sure that it is dry, so that no fungus develop...like how pari says this is good for lunch time, u should never give badam and kaju and all now...the child's system has to develop. now take a piece of the ragi biscuit and put it in a little water and make liquid..then keep some hot water on stove and add some gur or jaggery no white sugar...as it melts try to strain out any sand granules and reheat while doing add the kanji liquid and cook on fire along with the jaggery now u get a koozhu kind of effect bring down once cooked and add some milk to make it feedable in spoon or in a feederbottle as comfortable ur in feeding, best done if spoon fed...that way it is thicker and sustain for long...please do not worry abt the weight part of it..as long as ur child is healthy that is great..once a baby is obese u sign up for obesity for life...so refrain from over feeding to make ur child chubby..make it healthy and active this would be ur basic contribution as a mother to ur healthy child's future....hope been of help
    regards sunkan....

4. Varloo

Varloo Gold IL'ite

Dear Seetha,
    Keppai and ragi are the same, I think. You can prepare it in another way also. Clean the ragi well and wash and soak it overnight. Then drain and let it sprout well but putting in a muslin cloth and keeping it moist for 12 hours. Then dry roast it on medium heat till aroma comes. Now you can powder it in machine ( take some rice with you to the shop, grind it first and then the ragi). Sieve it. Store well cool. You can take 2 tbsp of this powder, mix with water without lumps and then keep it on low fire and stir continuously. It will start to thicken as it gets cooked. Do not make it very thick. Add a dash of ghee and sugar or jaggery (if adding jaggery, dissolve it in water and strain it). Feed when warm. The child willbe able to gulp it down. You can add cooked and mashed vegs and fruits like potato, carrot, apple etc. and well mashed banana. Only a small piece will do at first. Try it and increase the quantity once in a week. If you give this by 6 pm in the evening also (give in morning also), the child will gain weight. Also see the thread "Food for 6 month old".

5. sunitha

sunitha Gold IL'ite

Dear Seetha

I used to give my son Ragi kanji from when he was 2 1/2 mnths old.Infact,most people in Kerala start giving their children solids from the 28th day of birth itself.Well,this is just an info I wanted to share.

Regarding the kanji,do like Varloo has said,that is,sprout and powder.Then add 1 tbsp of powder to 1 glass milk,mix well and heat on stove with a tsp of Kalkandu(sugar candy) until it becomes thick.This is what I used to give my son till he was 1. I have heard that kalkandu prevents constipation.

6. sree

sree New IL'ite

hi,
    Nila ,keppai and raagi are the same.

Seetha,Here is my 2 cents-- Since i'm in US the Pediatricians here suggest no Cow's milk until age 1. So What I do is buy the Raagi powder from the store and add it to the water then strain it through a muslin cloth take that strained liquid add powdered "kalkand" cook until it turns transperant cool and feed the baby.

Now I have question Please suggest me if it is okay to add milk and ghee to this kanji for babies under 12 months?

7. Varloo

Varloo Gold IL'ite

Dear sree,
    no need to add milk if you are giving in semi solid form. You make the kanji with water only to semi solid and then add a dash of ghee and sugar. Mix well and feed while warm. The baby can just gulp it down. Ghee is okay for infants. I have given for my son. Once the baby starts on salt etc. then you may slowly avoid sugar in milk by reducing gradually. I did like that and now my 15 year old son takes tea without sugar.

8. sunitha

sunitha Gold IL'ite

Dear Sree

When I read about what your doctors told you about cow's milk,I remembered this..My MIL told me once that when my husband was a baby(about 3-4 months old),they used to hold him right under the cow's udder and milk the milk right into his mouth!!!Well,there is nothing wrong in giving cow's milk.

When my son was an infant,I asked my doctor whether I could give him cow's milk too along with breastmilk from about 3-4 mnths.The doctor said there is nothing wrong in that as long as you know that the cow's milk is clean and pure.So we used to get the milkman to bring the cow to our door and he used to milk it right there.Ofcourse,this is definitely not possible in the U.S.The doctor further added that doctors advise against cows milk only because we can never be sure that it is clean and pure.

Even my doctor advised me not to give my son solids until he was 6 mnths.But when he was 2 1/2 mnths I noticed that he was never fully satisfied just with breastmilk.Just after having milk for 1/2 hr,when I used to lay him down,he used to cry again for milk.Finally ,I noticed that I was forever feeding him.That is when I asked the doctor whether I could start solids for him and the doctor asked me to start by giving Ragi kanji once a day.After about 1 month,I started giving him twice a day.

The views of the doctors here in U.S. differs a lot with that of the doctors in India.I personally feel the doctors in India are more practical in approach to certain things.Why take the doctors,take our own elders for example.Just ask them what they used to feed us when we were babies..I am sure many of them will have many interesting things to say which will definitely shock a lot of us now.

9. Nila

Nila New IL'ite

Yoghurt or Curd?

Hi,

My baby has completed 7 months. I am both breast feeding and solid feeding (3 times) my baby. I have started giving cereals with fruit & veggie purees(gerber), rice (with ghee & dhals), idli, rava upma, ragi porridge, etc.

Can I give baby yoghurt or curd before my baby is 1 year old? I would like to give curd rice and include baby yoghurts as snacks, but not sure when is the right age to start them?

Here in the US since pediatricians say we should not give anyother milk till they are 1 year, I am hesistant to include such milk based products.

Experienced moms look forward to your responses.

Thanks,
    Nila

10. Chitvish

Chitvish Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Hello Nila !

What I say is with reference to feeding babies in India.
    We do start giving curd from 6 th month. Once "annapraasanam" is done, we start giving well mashed curd rice. My paediatrician insisted on ending every meal with a few tsps of curd. Unless developed at an early stage, some children refuse to like curds.
    Love,
    Chithra.