1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Food that needs to be avoided while breast feeding

Discussion in 'Breast Feeding' started by skyinsc, Feb 12, 2014.

1. skyinsc

skyinsc Silver IL'ite

Hi All,

my 1 month old son doesn't seem to burp as often ( atleast not after every feeding even a long feed too ). Some times he gets very fussy which is mostly due to some gas in his stomach. I was advised to avoid cabbage, cauliflower , beans, oranges, straw berries, lentils etc and I am not sure if i really need to avoid them or if i am being over cautious in avoiding all of them .I don't have any issues refraining from if it helps baby.I would like you experienced ladies opinion if avoiding all these is going to help with gas issue for my baby.Please also let me know what food you avoided while breast feeding

Last edited: Feb 12, 2014

2. Rakhii

Rakhii Moderator IL Hall of Fame

sky, I am unsure of the food intake but while burping, try patting on his left side when you put him on the shoulder. It works like charm for my daughter.

2 people like this.
  3. Chitravivek

Chitravivek Platinum IL'ite

Sky. In India thy say to avoid these foods but remember if you're vegetarian you're also missing these nutrients and the same is missed by the baby too. Have u tried giving ajwain and jeera water a tsp to baby? Also try doing cycling massage to baby everyday to relieve all gas. I would aLos suggest u drink ajwain and jeera water.

4. spandana7

spandana7 Senior IL'ite

Try to put hing in ur food and drink ajwain water that will also help in reducing ur tummy weight.

1 person likes this.
  5. thegirlygirl

thegirlygirl Platinum IL'ite

Chana I guess should be avoided at all cost, with that also avoid all the other gas forming foods which you mentioned................I know it is difficult, but just adjust for some time till you breast feed.

I think you should include more greens in your diet, like methi which helps to ease out gas.

Like others suggested, you can massage the baby's belly, you can use hing for this, it helps to relieve gas in babies.

6. cooks2010

cooks2010 Silver IL'ite

I dont avoid any foods, because I feel the baby might be missing out on nutrients and gas is part of life :). I would try cycling the babies legs to help with gas or massaging the stomach are gently in circular motion that can help. Try burping in different positions such as on the side or half sitting.

Also my Dr.said, its not necessary that the baby burps everytime after feeding, especially if your breastfeeding..one nurse told me its not necessary to burp at all. if your formula feeding then babies need to be burped a lot.

Hope this helps. Cooks

Last edited: Feb 13, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  7. alpsheidi

alpsheidi Senior IL'ite

I've too been advised to avoid cabbage and cauliflower while on BF. It was said these might lower the BF, I don't know how much true it is, but I've avoided it.
    But be sure to have lots of greens and vegetables. Also u can add hing to ur food. My grandma used to break the solid hing and fry it without oil and have little pieces stuffed in food (idli, iddiyapam) to swallow it. it would be good for ur digestion as well as for ur baby.

2 people like this.