1. Handy Kitchen Tips that You cannot Miss : Solutions for all your Problems
    Dismiss Notice

Food Processor

Discussion in 'Spotless Kitchen' started by Halosandwings, Jun 19, 2017.

1. Halosandwings

Halosandwings Bronze IL'ite

Hi,

I had a baby recently. Though I am not a great cook I prefer home cooked meals. My husband and I both have very demanding jobs. Before the baby I was cooking at home. Now with the baby it has become little hard to manage the kitchen and the baby. I am expected at work from first week of July and I would need some help. I was wondering if a food processor might be of any help. I went through old threads in indusladies but unable to decide. My expectations from food processor is it should be able to chop vegetables and onions. The cleaning should not be a pain. It should be available in United States. If anybody has any suggestions please chip in. Please let me know if there is any other gadget that meets my needs. Thank you!

2. Naari

Naari Platinum IL'ite

Hi, firstly congrats on your baby! As regards the food processor, it has many more wonderful uses for which it is generally used like making dough, hummus, fine chopped veggies for salads etc. Now for making Indian subzis, I am not sure you need a food processor which will probably make the veggies super fine and much smaller in size than the cubes or shreds that you may need for the subzi/ curry.

I think the possible solution is to get some help, some maid help, who can come over on a Sunday and chop all your veggies for the coming week, which you can store and make subzis on the week day, which can be super quick. I have seen many such ads on Indian forums from Indian working women who need weekend help. And as for rotis, you may be aware that there are many readymade rotis available in Indian stores, which you just need bring and cook/puff. So, no trouble of making dough etc. Hope that helps.

3. armummy

armummy Platinum IL'ite

In general food processors does not do chopping of vegetables. You can use the blade but you won't be getting any chopping like we do but out will get. uneven slices if you just run it for a sec or two and it becomes very fine very quickly within few secs like for machurian or koftas. I think some recent high end ones may have chopping attachment check it out.

It does slice it nicely which you can then chop into smaller pieces, onion slicing is good, kneeding atta Is good. I tried slicing Tindla and beans , it takes some time but it works good as we usually cut Tindla into rounders. Beetroot slicing, alu slicing is all good, I cut the slices into small pieces , so it saves little time.

Cabbage shredding is good , carrot shredding is within secs . Slicing .shredding of green leaves is also good.

I have cuisinart, cleaning is easy.

Also check Madolines, not the food processor but hand kitchen gadgets, you may find more chopping options in that.

4. Halosandwings

Hi Naari,

Its been a while since I visited this site. I appreciate your suggestions. I live in the middle of no where and there are not many Indians in the place where I live. But I will keep my ears open if anything pops up in the community.

Thanks,

Halosandwings

5. Halosandwings

Hi armummy,

Can you please tell me which cuisinart model you use?

Thanks,

Halosandwings