Food for a dog!

Discussion in 'Pets and Animal Lovers' started by Varloo, Sep 4, 2008.

1. Varloo

Varloo Gold IL'ite

Hi friends,
    Though I love animals I am not able to keep a pet. From time to time, the squirrels come into my home to build their homes and rear the young. They go out once the youngs ones can take care of themselves. They have spoiled many a mosquito net and even a helmet. Still I do not stop them.
    Now, a stray bitch had delivered 4 puppies under my staircase on Monday night. The puppies have not even opned their eyes so far and the mother is always with the puppies. I fed the mother some biscuits and bun and also a glass of milk. She did not like the dosa which I gave her.
    Can you people tell me what else I can feed her? I am a vegetarian but there are some eggs which I bought for making cake. How do I give it to the dog? Do let me know.

2. dolorcosta

dolorcosta Senior IL'ite

Dear Varloo

It is nice of you to take care of the stray puppies.

You may be be surprised to know that dogs in vegetarian households like to eat curd-rice or " Thair saadam "- Give it a try !

Rgds .

3. Bhooma

Bhooma Bronze IL'ite

Varloo

God Bless you ..

You can give her milk.. that would be real nice for her .

dont give her dosas and other stuff...

pav bun is something the dogs like.. she may like to eat that .. and since she is nursing she may have to be given large quantities ..

God Bless you once again for being so kind ...

cheers

Bhooma

4. Varloo

Varloo Gold IL'ite

Hi,
    I cannot turn a blind eye to a nursing mother, can I? Hubby feeds her everyday, she stands a little away from him till he places the food and then eats it. She looks at me with pleading eyes, even Aravindh says like that. The pups have not still opened their eyes. I shall try to take a snap and post it.

5. Bhooma

Bhooma Bronze IL'ite

Lovely Varloo. But please do take care . They are very possessive .. so I would advise you to take care when you go near her/the puppies .

Cheers

Bhooma

PS: I think I will make that trip to your house .... to see the puppies !!!!:rotfl

6. Paulina

Paulina Moderator Staff Member Platinum IL'ite

Dear Varloo,

Lovely to read about the care you are lavishing on the poor stray Mama dog and her new born litter of puppies.
    As Bhooma has said already , do be careful as all Mamma dogs are very possessive and may react if you go too near .
    About the diet, like others have said , Thair Sadam . Milk and buns and even rice and plain dhall with a sprinkling of ghee will be great.You can add boiled carrots chopped up too.As for the eggs, just hardboil them and shell them and cut it up into fours and add with the rice.
    Hope to see some pictures here soon . So sweet and generous of you to pay attention to this brood.That just shows what a kindhearted person you are , and it was her sixth sense that made the poor mother know you would let her use your place as a shelter.

7. Varloo

Varloo Gold IL'ite

Hi,
    I don't think I deserve to be appreciated. I read inthe newspaper last week about a dog which saved a baby. A mentally unstable girl had thrown her new born baby on a field. This dog had carried that baby to its place and taken care of the baby along with her puppies. The nextday the neighbours came searching after hearing the baby's cry and send it to the hospital. The mother was also caught. The news says that the temperature in that area goes down to 4 degree normally. Just because the dog kept the baby warm, it had survived. If a dog could do such a thing, we humans should be doing much much. Instead, we are fighting over religion, caste etc. and making the Earth a hell.
    The mother seems friendly, husband goes near while feeding. But we never attempt to approach the puppies, I know how fierce the mother is and how protective about her puppies. I shall follow your suggestions.
    Bhooma, welcome, when are you coming?

8. Sriniketan

Sriniketan IL Hall of Fame

Varloo,
    Nice to read your kind gesture...
    Nothing more to add on my part, as our other friends had pointed out..take care while feeding the mom and do post the pictures...sooner or later...
    Hats off to your kind heart..

sriniketan

Last edited: Sep 5, 2008
  9. Varloo

Varloo Gold IL'ite

Hi,
    the puppies were very dull, sleeping all the time. Only for the past 3 days they are moving in that area, that is under the staircase on sand.
    Yesterday, since the mother was not there, I shot some photos of the puppies. Two are different shades of brown with white tips on legs and tail. Other two are white and black and brown mixed. Only one white was moving well and started whinning when I sat down to shoot him. I think all are female, not sure. Some times they sleep on their backs, some times all curled up and over one another.

Attached Files:

10. aproop

aproop Bronze IL'ite

Dear Varloo,

Somehow I missed this wonderful thread......

Its very kind of you and your husband to give shelter/food to a stray dog and her puppies.

The puppies looks so cute and healthy. The white one with brown spots seems to be active than others.

Thanks for the post and sharing photos.
    God bless you.

love,
    Anu

Last edited: Sep 20, 2008