Food during train journey

Discussion in 'Cuisines of India' started by newnewgen, Apr 24, 2014.

1. upfsabari

upfsabari IL Hall of Fame

Re: Food during train journey lastly 2 or more days

Methi paratha will last for more than a week if you make the dough with enough oil.. when you prepare the dough add little chilli powder/sambar powder.. this way you wont need any side dish.. or you can have it with pickle or sugar...

Also take carrot, cucumber and cabbage and make salad.. or you can eat it separately..

I personally prefer idli with milaga podi..

For snacks, you can try bhel puri.. If you like to have something very light, you can make kara pori.. Add oil in a kadai, then add mustard seeds, jeera, mormilagai, roasted chana dhal, roasted peanuts, curry leaves and little turmeric powder. mix well.. then add little rasam powder/sambar powder and salt.. Now switch of the stove. Add pori to this and mix well.. This will become a handy snack and it will surely last for more than 10 days.. If you have carrot/cucumber/beetroot, you can very well mix them with this kara pori and have it..

1 person likes this.
  2. brahan

brahan Platinum IL'ite

You can prepare the tomato thokku..(No onion) which may last for 2-3 days..Idli can stand for a day as i had taken it for long flight journeys(Ofcourse the climate also matters )

3. yellowmango

yellowmango IL Hall of Fame

Atta Laddoos
    I don't have a measured recipe. But I will try.
    Take one cup atta and dry roast properly till it turns light brown and smells cooked. Let it cool. Add powdered sugar mix ..... .Keep tasting for how sweet you want it. For 1 cup atta ...first try 1/2 cup powdered sugar. add more if you need more sweet.Now add ghee and try moulding into balls. add just enough ghee so that you can make balls. Try 1/3 cup ghee first....if not enough ,then add more..

These laddoos are great if kids don't like eating rotis.

4. jaanu143

jaanu143 Gold IL'ite

I prefer pulihora, puri and chapati for long journeys...U can make any side dish without aloo and onions...

5. Armaity25

Armaity25 Silver IL'ite

Hi.These are certain things my Mom preferred for long journeys.
    Idlis or idli fry with home made garlic chutney (dried)
    Methi or dudhi thepla with aloo fry
    Puri-Sukhi aloo bhaji
    Tikhat mithachi puri with mixed vegetable pickle
    Ghavan-Garlic chutney (dried)
    If you can arrange hot water then you can carry upma mix or dal mix or masala rice mix or shevaya mix (ofcourse home made) which is pretty simple and then ask for hot water in the train and add it to the quantity of food you need,allow it to seep,mix well and eat.
    For vegetables gavarphalli (cluster beans) ki sabzi too lasts well for long journeys
    You can also carry kurmura ladoos or kurmura or cornflakes chivda which gets prepared in a jiffy and is pretty healthy too.
    I guess these ideas should help.

6. Devadharshini

Devadharshini Bronze IL'ite

Hi u can go for curdrice, or lemon rice for lunch and dinner. U can carry a bread packet and fresh veggies and butter to make sandwiches for breakfast. Having big bananas in the morning is also a great start for a day.

7. rajii96

rajii96 New IL'ite

I think chappati is the best dish during the travel. For the side dish, you may use jam or tomato gravy.