1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Flow State

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Viswamitra, Feb 13, 2019.

1. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

In positive psychology, a flow state, also known colloquially as being in the zone, is the mental state of operations in which a person performing an activity is fully immersed in feeling of energy, focus, full involvement, and enjoyment in the process of activity. In essence, flow is characterized by complete absorption in what one does, and a resulting loss in one’s sense of space and time. – Wikipedia

I asked a question to @Gauri03 and she responded affirmatively to my question about hiking and associated great sense of fulfillment and energy. I did some further research on the said subject and bumped upon some very interesting content. When one climbs the mountain, high above the ground, one cleaves to the rocks and move very deliberately, aware of every placement of one’s foot, the angles of one’s body and how one’s hand grips every protruding stone. Apparently, there is no room for error and one elapse in attention can cost one’s life. The focus is intense and nothing else exists but the climber and the mountain. In that circumstance, the mind shifts into a new space. A sense of vibrant aliveness, connectedness and peace infuse one’s being. One feels in tune with life, moving with a precision and poise one doesn’t understand but at the same time relishes in. One is in the zone and in flow. Those who experience this feeling would like to go back again and again to experience it.

Something happens during the moments of unbridled bursts of rampant creativity that is difficult to quantify. A jittery warmth swells throughout the body down to the extremities. Emotions like “fulfillment”, “satisfaction”, and “optimism” have been proven to feel like they are affecting the physiology of the whole body. Abraham Maslow explains these sessions as “extraordinary experiences”. According to him, one feels most fulfilled, unified and aware. It is the physical manifestation or one’s true potential. The imagination is so present that time and space become illusive. This tunnel-vision phenomenon is reported by athletes, creatives, and psychologists alike as a hyper-focused, sometimes spiritual, state of mind where anything is possible. It is where one becomes most productive, creative, and powerful self.

Bill Russell of the Celtics (NBA player) said, “It was almost as if we were playing in slow motion. During those spells I could almost sense how the next play would develop and where the next shot would be taken”. Christopher Bergland, world-class endurance triathlete said, “I would visualize the jolt of pain entering my body through the soles of my feet and feel the energy coming from the core of the earth. My feet became a conduit that allowed my body to tap into an infinite energy source that propelled me forward like I was plugged into a nuclear reactor”.

Swami Vivekananda defined subconscious as, “Every work that we do, every moment of the day, every thought we think, leaves an impression on the mind-stuff (the internal organ or antahkarana), and even when such impressions are not obvious on the surface they are sufficiently strong to work beneath the surface, man’s character is determined by the sum total of these impressions.” Paramahansa Yogananda narrates super consciousness as “In meditation, you must go beyond thought. As long as you are busy thinking, you are in your rational mind, on the conscious plane. When you sleep and dream, you are on the subconscious plane, and in your astral body. And when your mind is fully withdrawn in super consciousness, it becomes centered in the bliss of the spine. You are then in ideational, or casual, body. That is the level of soul’s existence.”

Swami Rama in his “Perennial psychology of Bhagavad Gita” said, “The time factor is the prime conditioner in the human mind. It is the task of the aspirant to release himself from this conditioning and to attain timeless state in which there is neither fear nor death nor conditioning. That experience is possible if one systematically practices inward methods that lead him to the Source, instead of going towards the external world and becoming scattered. There are only three known methods explored by the sages such as prayer, meditation, and contemplation. No external method of knowing can lead one to the fountainhead of awareness, where infinite knowledge beyond measure resides. After attaining this infinite knowledge, one understands that the absolute Reality or Truth is never lost, no matter how many deaths one experiences in his physical or mental life”.

No wonder the “Flow State” gives us a glimpse of awareness and blissfulness that envelop the beings. One breaks the barrier of time and space during that experience resulting in unique emotions that makes us do that again and again. Can we call it as a longing for reaching the highest state of consciousness beating the conditioning of the mind?

Last edited: Feb 13, 2019

2. GeetaKashyap

GeetaKashyap IL Hall of Fame

@Viswamitra Sir,

Being in zone or flow is an amazing meditative experience. Many people, without realising, achieve this wonderful state when all their senses come together on the chosen task and the concept of time doesn't exist anymore! This is pure bliss. This also has a tremendous healing effect on the body. Thanks for writing about it.

Thyagarajan, ratan and Viswamitra like this.
  3. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

The achievement of the super-conscious state is something we all should aspire towards and the best way to do this is through being fully immersed in whatever we are doing in the moment. This is the message I have got through this write up, Viswa. Thanks a lot for one more masterpiece.

Thyagarajan and Viswamitra like this.
  4. Gauri03

Gauri03 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Illuminating writeup, Viswa! Thanks for bringing up this discussion. I've read that as we age time seems to pass faster than when we are young. One of the reasons stated is the absence of novelty. As children so much of what we experience is new, there are so many first times, that the mind is keenly focused on absorbing and understanding these experiences, hence, more present in the moment. The more intensely absorbed we are, the slower the passage of time. As we grow older we operate largely in default mode with few, if any, new experiences. Since so many of our day to day activities are repetitive the brain becomes efficient at getting through them without engaging the higher cognitive functions. When the attention networks in the brain are not engaged time seems to fly by. To apply brakes on this mad dash of life in our later years it is essential to learn new things and have new experiences. Hiking is my way of deliberately slowing life down and experiencing the flow state. I have noticed that the tougher the hike the greater sense of fulfillment I feel after it. A state of blissful quietude lingers the whole week. It can get addictive!

Last edited: Feb 14, 2019
  5. vidhyalakshmid

vidhyalakshmid IL Hall of Fame

Fantastic write up. Just amazed by reading the experience of those athletes.
    Let me share mine. Last year I started to play ping pong after a long time.
    It is a local contest and I have got an experience which is very difficult to explain. When I saw the ball on my side, I felt it in slow motion that the time span is very long before my next hit. The fraction of the second appreared very long than the actual time. Now I am playing frequently but the experience is normal, no magic. Hope somebody understood!

Thyagarajan, alady2018 and Viswamitra like this.
  6. Viswamitra

Geeta,

Thank you for your first response. It is indeed a meditative experience especially when the tunnel-vision develops on the focused activity and awareness of time disappears. It is euphoria that one experiences in the body, mind and intellect during this process.

Viswa

Thyagarajan likes this.
  7. Viswamitra

Dear Satchi,

Thank you for summarizing the gist of what I had in mind when I wrote this snippet. I honestly believe it is a call for a super-conscious state when one experiences being in the present moment and in flow state. It is a gentle reminder of the potential of our being.

Viswa

satchitananda likes this.
  8. Viswamitra

@Gauri03,

Thank you for reading and responding to this snippet. You are the cause of this snippet and without your response, this snippet will be incomplete.

You are right about the children experiencing the present moment more than the adult. As we grow up, we put our mind in autopilot when we perform known activities without experiencing the pleasure of the activities. The thought energy in the process gets lost. The energy in the process is like splitting the atom. There are only two ways one can address life at later stages. One is to learn new things and have new experiences or alternatively engage in the processes of our activities losing time consciousness. Bhagavad Gita teaches performing actions skillfully at the best of our ability, lovingly with so much involvement in each process of the activities and selflessly without expecting any outcome as meditative state. When one enters the flow state more often, accolades have no value and the satisfaction derived in the sense of fulfillment is immeasurable.

9. Viswamitra

@vidhyalakshmid,

Thank you for your words of appreciation. The cricketers and baseball players see the ball like a football when they get into the zone. Many have explained the slow motion experience and losing the focus on time. Flow state happens only when the mind is not in autopilot mode and fully engaged in the processes of the activities. Thank you for sharing your experience.

vidhyalakshmid and Thyagarajan like this.
  10. Viswamitra

The attached Ted talk by Dr. Mihaly Ciskszentmihalyi is very interesting about the flow.

Thyagarajan likes this.