First year of marriage traditions (Navratri)

Discussion in 'Festivals, Functions & Rituals' started by auspiciousGirl, Oct 22, 2010.

1. auspiciousGirl

auspiciousGirl New IL'ite

While my new husband and I have only celebrated a few Indian holidays every year (I am not Indian and thus do not know most of them), we are celebrating more this year. :) While I've tried to research as much as I can on the subject, I realize the different areas (he is from the East) of India celebrate things differently at times. The traditions that we did for our wedding celebrations in India are unknown to some of my Indian friends that are from different parts of the country.

That said, my husband informed me late last night that I am suppose to wear a sari today as it is a special celebration (5th day after Navratri is over) for us in our first year of marriage. No problem since I now own many saris (and love an excuse to wear them), but it brings some important questionsto mind:

--What are the some of the traditions/holidays that are exclusive to the first year of marriage? Particularly ones were my family would do something for him or his family.
    --What are some that are expected in future years?
    --What is today's tradition called (starts with a K) and what types of gifts would my family normally get him?

I realize that India is very diverse and that these are not simple questions. If you have links or books you can tell me about that would be great.

Also, he is from East area. I'm not sure if I am suppose to list caste or not as I read somewhere in the initial membership area that it may be a no-no. Please let me know if it is relevant to the question. My husband does not follow caste, but his family does (although none of them seemed to be bothered by the fact that I had none). Neither one of us is religious, though his family is Hindu.

Thanks in advance!

2. Naksh

Naksh Platinum IL'ite

Hello AG. Please find the link below to know about east indian culture and etceteras...

Home - The East Indian Community

In the above site, onto your left hand side you would find sevreal menu items form which you can select. People there have a forum as well to discuss, not sure how active it is ...you may want ot give it a try: The East Indian Community

I dont know much about festivals...so sorry.i could not be of much help. lets hope some one knowledgeble comes upon this post and shares..

Good Luck. And Congratulations.

3. auspiciousGirl

auspiciousGirl New IL'ite

Thank you!!! The site seems to be down right now, but hopefully it will be up in a bit.

I also found some more links that will help. Here is one:
    MITHILA MAIN

The festival/tradition today is called KOJAGARA. Yay! Thanks again!