First Time Navarathri celebration - Guidance please

Discussion in 'Festivals, Functions & Rituals' started by MaliniHari, Sep 26, 2013.

1. MaliniHari

MaliniHari Gold IL'ite

Hi Friends,

I have recently joined this forum and I find this really useful. I have got married a couple of months before and this is the first time I am doing Navarathri arragements all myself. I want to do all 9 days naivedhya. I live away from India, so certain items are limited to me, Please guide me what all I could cook in these 9 days and when does navarathri start and end. Any help would be very much appreciated.

Thanks
    Malini

2. AkilaMani

AkilaMani Local Champion Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hi Malini,

Just saw your thread after posting mine with a smilar query. Hope we get responses soon :)

Did you keep golu before marriage at your parent's place?

3. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Malini, congrats on your marriage.
    is having a golu a tradition in your mil's place. if not you need to take her permission.

you must be knowing about cleaning the house and all those things that are followed.

you can do mahaneivedyam of rice and dal in the mornings. evening sundals-
    whatever legumes are available in your place..list them out..and you can make a sundal out of that. and if there is tradition of making puttu then you need to do that one day.making a payasam everyday is optional.you do on saraswathi pooja day.

rajma/kidney beans sundal.
    gree gram sundal.
    white chana dal sundal
    brown chana dal sundal
    moong dal sundal
    white peas sundal
    black eye beans sundal.
    corn sundal
    chana dal

You arrange your golu on ammavasya and the navaratri starts on 5th and ends on 13th. so you arrange your golu on 4th.

2 people like this.
  4. revaselva

revaselva Senior IL'ite

Hi Shanvy and other ladies,
    please guide me in golu rules such as which direction the golu padi has to be kept. I read in other threads briefly that it should be east facing or northern side. Should it be kept east facing (which means west) or northern side (meaning south side)? please suggest. which direction we should not keep the golu padi?.

5. MaliniHari

MaliniHari Gold IL'ite

Thank you for the response. Yes, I will follow the steps given. Thank you so much for the elaborate steps. Thanks a lot!