1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

First Life Then Food

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Balajee, Apr 13, 2020.

1. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

One of the best cartoons about COVID19: A meteor is hurtling towards earth and a T-Rex looks up at it and says: "****! THE ECONOMY"
    Now, this seems to be the kind of attitude that is increasingly getting approval in the country. and even in the world. What we forget is while we gotta eat, we gotta live to eat

There is talk of relaxation of the lockdown to get the economy going to some extent but before any such step is taken, let us ask ourselves a question. How much do we know about the spread of COVID 19?

Let us not deceive ourselves We don't even know whether it has entered the third stage of community-level spread. AND WE WON'T KNOW THAT UNLESS WE EXTEND THE TESTING TO COMMUNITY LEVEL.

The testing has so far been confined to those who report to health authorities with symptoms and those who have come into contact with them. This is followed by their isolation and observation. Unlike in many other countries the proportion of those tested in relation to the total population is quite low. And the wider the testing net is spread more cases are coming out.

Data on the total number of cases in some states is often doubtful. For instance, West Bengal the number of samples tested is quite low and the state has shown amazingly low number of COVID19 positive cases.

The way the tests are conducted there is very little scope for unearthing asymptomatic carriers. Who could be virus time bombs?.

India defeated polio and smallpox by community-level vaccination. Testing for COVID19 NEED TO BE TAKEN TO THAT LEVEL FOR US TO GET A GRASP OF THE REAL SITUATION. Until then, we won't know the extent of the spread of the virus And without knowing the size of the enemy's army, battling it doesn't make sense.

What we need now at least for a month is the tightening of the lockdown and not relaxing it. The authorities must get into draconian mode to come down heavily on violators, particularly those who gather in large numbers in the name of religion with faith blinding their good sense. Unfortunately in this respect, the powers-that-be have been twiddling their thumbs.

2. HariLakhera

HariLakhera Platinum IL'ite

Most of the countries, including India are reporting death figures of Covid-19 patients died in hospitals. There is no data who died before reaching hospitals or never tried to go to hospitals.
    Like any other virus people will get used to this virus also. Some countries have started comparing deaths as related to total population.
    Humans are used to find some consolation, howsoever illogical it may be, like, thank God our family is safe.
    All said and done, take care, the worst is not yet over.

joylokhi, Balajee and Cheeniya like this.
  3. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Dear Balajee,

my mother used to say that "if one is breathing, one can sell salt and make a living" - loosely translated. I think that is not the problem. The problem is all of us belong to a generation that has seen growth and prosperity like no other. When we speak of getting back to normalcy, we should not be talking about getting back to where we were, as we knew what normal was. Like many experts are warning, it will not happen in a snap - either finding that vaccine or getting the world back up and running - both of which we need badly. All of us have to get into that mind set of one step at a time. I think this is a good time for personal reflection and bringing about a change one family at a time - at a very basic level for the society to change.

Just a simple thing as a grocery shopping has opened my eyes so much - earlier it was shops open all the time, though going in with a list coming out with a few things more than on the list were a common routine. Now as I sit and order online, I am cautious not because of money factor alone or because I cannot see what I am buying, but because I do not want food to go waste, I cannot get my order right away and a few other reasons. The idea that shops are open 24/7 had made me complacent - I remember the monthly list my parents used to make and bring home. Now, as hard as I may try to make that list, it seems almost impossible what between the sales and other things! As I order online at the same shop week after week, I see that the shop has my information stored and it nudges me to go through the list to place my next order. If I need something new, I need to know what is it I want, why and search for it and place the order and next time I need to choose if I needed that or not. And believe me if I say I am cooking way better than I have ever in my life these days and everyone is eating what I cook and no one seems to miss the outside food - though we all miss the act of dining out. All I am saying is, it has made me more aware! That discipline I lacked somewhat back then, is being forced on me now and I want to to continue to focus on little things like that.

I don't think a complete lock down or a complete reopening is the solution but a complete understanding of our collective unique situation at every individual level is needed. A tall order but nothing that we cannot do.

4. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

Dear Balajee,

What most fail to see is the economic growth is directly proportionate to the well-being of its people. The Malthusian theory applies here well that every mouth that needs to be fed also comes with a pair of hands. The GDP of the nation is directly related to the productivity of its people. Liberty and freedom come with a responsibility to collectively do what is in the best interest of the nation. Physical distancing, hand-washing, wearing protective gear, avoiding spraying droplets into the air to avoid spreading of the disease, testing everyone suspected of COVID-19, isolating them and identifying those who they were in contact with are all necessary to keep this pandemic under control. The medical professionals all over the world are exchanging ideas knowing that it is not who is smarter that counts but how collectively they solve the pandemic that matters. Even the governments are sharing data about how to identify the peaks and valleys and the risk of a second run. Until every human body is capable of creating antibodies against this new virus or until a vaccine is invented to supplement the immune system, our lives have changed for a prolonged period of time.

In fact, the entire world should recognize that treatment and vaccines should be one of service to humanity more than of commercial value. Otherwise, sacrifices made by frontline medical professionals will be of no value. Despite warnings of the CDC, my hands are wiping my tears watching how these medical professionals are struggling to help the patients. Their sacrifice will be respected only when the world cooperates to help them by playing their role to contain this pandemic. We should to the extent possible keep the hospital free for most needed patients, make masks at home for the medical professionals to wear, and pray for the recovery of as many patients as possible. That is the best contribution one can make at this point.

Balajee and HariLakhera like this.
  5. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

Viswa testing not just those showing symptoms of COVID 18 but as in case of polio and small pox i9noculation, EVERYONE NEEDS TO BE TESTED TO AVOID A SECOND COMING OF THE VIRUS. We really have no clue how may people are asymptomatic carriers of the virus. Unless the virus is eliminated from them we cannot sleep min peace. A workforce reeling under an epidemic is the worst enemy of the economy. Likes of Trump and Modi either graze the surface or play passing the buck. This is a matter of concern.

Viswamitra likes this.
  6. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

I agree in toto.
    Blatant violatiors to be punished with iron hand.
    Regards.

Balajee likes this.
  7. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

Sabitha, true the vaccine is not going to be invented overnight and the ec onomy will not be up and running in a couple of days but what we need to do now is to survive before we live. India so far has been lucky. Its total number of positive cases is lower than that oif the entire New York city. But we cannot be complacent. So controls need to stay tight on the one hand while addressing the plight of the poor daily wagers in a humane manner. Alsdo this is the harvest season and crops cannot be left to wither away in the name of lockdown We need to strike a balance but must ponder long whether the balance is of the right kind.

Thyagarajan likes this.
  8. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

From Monday, rules are going to be relaxed considerably. Scary to think what the consequences will be.