First Ivf Anxieties

Discussion in 'Fertility & Trying to Conceive' started by Caughtinbetween, Oct 6, 2017.

1. Caughtinbetween

Caughtinbetween Gold IL'ite

Hi everyone
    hope you all are doing good and enjoying all the festivities , autumn and long weekend.

Have a few questions on my mind while i am in 2ww period.(Had my embryo transfer yesterday)
    I am going to Dr. T at Sher. He initially prescribed me to start with the stimulation meds from the third day of periods but i could not receive my meds on time . So he put me on bcp's for like 5 days and as soon as I received my meds I started with gonal-f 225units (first five days) and menupur 75units (for first five days) .
    Then he increased gonal-f to 250 and menupur same for the next 7 days along with ganerelix 250units . So after 12 days of stimulation i took the hcg trigger and then a day and half later i went for retrieval. I was told that they got 6 eggs from me . Next day , was told that they had 5 embryos growing . And from the day of retrieval I also started taking crinone 8% vaginal cream and estrodiol pills twice a day .Dr. T believes in day 5 blastocyst transfer . I wanted to know the status of embryos on day 3 but drs ofc said that the dr. does not like to disturb the embryos before day 5 transfer . So i just let it be . On the day of transfer on day 5 I was told that out of the 5 embryos 3 have survived . Out of which one is grade A and other two are better than grade A (i forgot the exact term he used to describe those 2 but he meant that those two are much better than what grade A looks like ). Since he doesnt believe in multiple transfers either , we accepted for one transfer (we wanted two to be transferred but since he highly recommends one at a time we were fine ).
    Now i have one grade A and one better than grade A freezing . I am taking crinone , estrodiol , metformin , folic acid and prenatal now along with my bp meds right now .
    One thing i am not able to do amidst of this :I was asked by the nurse to go for a walk after taking crinone so that the body warms up and it spreads itself inside . I was unable to do it till now because of work but expect to do it now as work has eased up a bit . Would it cause issues ?
    I am asked to take two hcg tests one after almost 9 days and another 5 days later .
    While I wait for it , what all should i do from end ? Dr. asks to do nothing but normal walking not brisk walking . I am on a heavier side and planning to join gym to do some trainer aided workouts keeping in mind the 2ww and all . But now i am in two minds . Not to drink more than a cup of tea/coffee which i am fine . not to lift heavy weights (which sometimes i have to do at work ). I cannot control myself when i have to pee and I cant hold myself back even a bit thats why i always take care of restrooms accessibility when i have to drink water . I do drink water at work but have to watch myself because then i feel like using the restroom urgently in the middle of a meeting which looks embarrassing sometimes . And also i get tensed because i feel i cant resist till i reach the restroom if i happen to be far away from it .

mes. I try to make up for it when I come back by drinking more water but then it wakes me up everyhour during the night . Cant think of any other solution . you advises would help a lot.

what all i can do during this time of wait to help the results ?

all your advises are highly appreciated and i am very thankful for it . thank you very much.

2. ashima10

ashima10 Platinum IL'ite

Wish you success and happiness OP :)
    Hope you come back with good news of bfp and thereafter .
    Best wishes ....
    Advise is just take it easy :) I know it's hard but trust me take it easy :)

3. Naari

Naari Platinum IL'ite

Dear OP, I am replying here to your msg elsewhere, as it didn't seem appropriate to disturb the other thread where it was posted.

1. Don't feel bad about not managing your schedules too well. Your situation is not comparable with other ladies since your hours are not comparable. You seem to be working from 5.30 am to 5.15 pm, almost a 12 hour office day. Plus looks like you have an hour commute involved each way, so add 2 hrs there. You sleep from 10.30 -4 , so that's another 5.5 hrs added to 14. That leaves only 4.5 hrs left for you to cook, clean, get ready for work etc.

Where is the question of feeling guilty about not managing schedules well? The only thing you shd be guilty about is overworking!! Hoping you don't stress that much at work.

2. I think your hubby needs to help you with household chores as well as cooking considering you work more than him since he starts his work day much later. Why can't he help you in chores in the morning between 5-7.30, while you are slogging away at work or even after coming back from work? This is pure understanding. If he doesn't understand on his own, you need to knock some into him!

3. As regards weight, find little time for exercise, if you can. Don't skip dinners, substitute with healthier options that will also fill you up, like healthy mix of protein, carbs, nutrients and veggies.

Also, you will get many more responses on this one, if you start a new thread..

On the IVF, Good luck to you! Others can give you more info there. Lots of baby dust to you, take care.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2017
    Archanaanchan likes this.
  4. Caughtinbetween

Hi @Naari , thanks for taking time out to reply . I reallt appreciate it .

My actual work week is 4 days but i also work one day overtime to make more money to fund my fertility treatments and other loans hence this long schedule . I can easily skip that one day overtime to make it little easy on me but I dont want to do that in the present situation. For now , work is number one priority with ttc hence all these efforts to find workarounds with the current schedule .
    You're right that i have to try to get H to work more around. He sometimes comes around to help in cooking curry in the evening like cutting veggies etc but its not like everyday thing. He says that he can cook curry if all the utensils are ready to use and veggies are already cut . Or else he will cut it and I cook . But because its not consistent I cant depend on the help.
    But now I am trying to get him to do that every other day because he also does not support home made frozen food . In between all this I want to take time out to go for a walk in he night because with ttc going on weight is one thing that stresses me too. For now I am trying to replace dinner with fruits and a cup of curd everyday.

i am actually going to start a new thread , i have few other questions to ask all of you urgently .
    Thank you very much for your wishes .

Naari likes this.
  5. Caughtinbetween

Hi @Ashima ,

Thanks for your kind response . I was actually supposed to take the test today being day 9 starting from the day of ET (day 5 blastocyst). But I want to wait for few more days before taking the test to avoid any false results hence the longer wait . I did feel I lot of cramping pains yesterday and a bit today . I am trying not to stress about it but am actually scared deep inside because of it . I get so nervous every time i go to use the restroom . I will take the test next week though. Every minute i am telling to myself not to think about it but in the process i actually thinking about it only all the time .
    Thank you very much dear.

ashima10 likes this.
  6. Elsa

Elsa Gold IL'ite

As someone having first hand experience with IVF, I would suggest you to take it easy for a few months. You can always work on your weight later. No matter how much you starve yourself, you will gain weight due to the side-effects of the medication and water retention. It is better to take a healthy balanced diet.

And sorry to say this, but your DH seems to be totally unaware of how stressful and tiring IVF can be. He cannot demand hot meals and expect you to pay for your treatments by working overtime. Please ignore this if I am wrong.

7. hoping4amiracle

hoping4amiracle Gold IL'ite

All the best for ur test result..

Btw, replying to your first query.. Please refrain from starting gym during 2ww, if you were doing it already then fine,bt starting new exercise regime during 2ww which ur body is not used to will stress your body and not adviced during ivf.. If you want to reduce weight,do it before ivf cycle..Not during.. Complete bed rest is not required during 2ww but it should be like your normal routine and no strainful activities and no lifting weights. Also,I have not used crinone but I would say If nurse has given specific instructions to walk so that it spreads,please do it..No excuses during ivf cycle we have to give our best. I know you are quite tired and over worked, ask ur husband to step in and explain him how your ivf cycle is being affected since he doesn't help and is he ok to lose so much financial and emotional investment that has been made during ivf..

Don't worry abt cramps, those were my only signs of early pregnancy.(I had a positive IVF cycle and now mom to a 2 month old LO)

Be positive ..Be strong..

ashima10 likes this.
  8. Caughtinbetween

Thank you all for the wonderful replies and wishes above .
    Unfortunately , my first IVF failed .
    Got the results two days back only but couldnt do anything else but crying.
    Spoke to the dr. about it . He says the most probable cause of failure could be the embryo quality . Though it was a high quality expanded blastocyst embryo , he says that perhaps the embryo was not good internally some chromosomal abnormalities maybe (which , however , he says occurs rarely ) or just plain bad luck means can try again (trial and error) . He is saying that instead of going for PGS/PGD right now we can try another cycle with FET . I agreed to it that day as I was too upset to take in all the treatment options right after knowing the results but I am thinking about it now .

What do you think would be correct to do ? Go for another FET transfer or get the PGS done first ?
    PGS would cost $1500 as per dr. . Is it normal cost or is it high or low than other places. I did find online at other clinics , some charge between 3-5K . I will double check with the dr. though about the cost. If its $1500 I can actually for the testing before FET to make sure the embryo is good inside out . Does that make sense ?
    During the call dr. was like its really expensive and instead of spending money on testing lets try one more cycle with FET. Now when I think , I feel its better to get the test done before trying again . as it is FET will again cost upward of 6K including everything.
    I have 2 expanded blastocyst and two normal ( A grade likely ) embryos frozen with them.
    For PGS testing of each embryo we pay separately , right ?
    Besides PGS issue , what else could be the reason for failed implantation ? Thin endometrium lining , fibroids , cysts , polyups ?
    I had a fibroid removed two years back but since then I have had regular US done and never found any during any of the scans . Neither did the dr. mention anything about polyup etc. I did have little thinner lining than usual but he said its not a concern then.
    I do make less eggs than usual for my age . But i want to ask you all . Once the eggs are retrieved after stimulation , does the failed implantation of the embryo has anything to do with the number of eggs ovaries produce.
    Dr. is saying that we can try FET in the next cycle . I am in two minds .
    Also PGS cannot be done on the frozen embryos now right ? Isnt that performed before the embryos are frozen ?
    regarding diet , I am doing some walking and changed meal plan to have more fruits and veggies and less carbs and not eating anything after sunset . Just drinking a glass of milk and if still hungry some fruit .
    Am still not sure about gym , I want to do it . But I am worried to do it now during IVF 's .
    If I join gym , i am planning to go thrice a week.

Thank you very much.
    Wrote a lot of things , not in a proper way . pardon me for that . very upsetting this is .

9. Elsa

Elsa Gold IL'ite

I am soo sorry about the failed IUI. Grieve away, take a break, and do whatever you think will help you go for another cycle with hope and a clear mind. I was devastated after I came to know the results of my first IVF retrieval, infacr, devastated after every negative pregnancy test. It took me three months to be able to start another cycle.

Would you rather transfer a pgs normal embryo or keep doing multiple cycles of IVF? I haven’t had a successful pregnancy yet. But I would transfer a chromosomally normal embryo than a random one, as I have had enough woth the negatives and failures and cant handle a miscarriage due to the embryo being chromosomally abnormal. I had also read somewhere pgs normal embryo’s have less chances of resulting in children with downs and premature babies. Dont quote me on that. You could confirm with your doctor if you want to. Also, most if the embryos do not have the right number of chromosomes, they would most probably not implant.

If I were in your place, I would go for PGS or atleast, seek a second opinion.

I would seek a second opinion, especially when your doctor is pushing for a second cycle without giving any reasons.

No. It just takes one! Success or failure doesnt depend on the number of eggs retrieved.

This could be the reason for your failure. Or it could be due to the quality/wrong number or alignment of chromosomes.

As far as I know, biopsy is done before freezing an embryo. You might want to check with your doctor regarding performing biopsy on an already frozen embryo.

Good luck with your next cycle. I have had 2 rounds of egg retrieval. I opted for PGS and will be transferring one soon. For my age, the quality of my eggs is low. About 4% of eggs turned out to be pgs normal in my case.

10. Caughtinbetween

Thank you @Elsa for your detailed reply .
    I am leaning more towards getting the PGS done and will inform the same to my dr. and see what he says .
    Few questions to you and everyone here as I discuss this with my dr. today or tomorrow :

1: PGS test is charged per embryo , right ? he vaguely mentioned 1500$ , is it the average price everywhere ?

2: If some lab charges less , can we get the tests done at a different place and does the dr. ofc usually accepts it ?
    I know dr.s ofc is the best place to answer this but I am asking if this happens at other places as in accepting outside embryo testing results .

3: What all the possible reasons for implantation failure ? I mean what all things I can ask him to check as reasons , endo lining , embryo quality as in PGS (alignment of chromosomes is included in it ?) and what else are the other reasons ?

4: I have too read that there is no point in getting biopsy done on already frozen embryos . So not much thinking about it . Will do it on fresh ones for sure .

5: PGS normal embryos has more chances of implantation but still its atrial and error among normal embryos ?

Sorry , I just lost my thoughts . Cant recollect everything in my mind .
    Briefly what should be the appropriate questions to the dr. before next cycle ? What all I should ask for the Dr. to check ?

Thank you very much