First baby and Mayka(mother's place)

Discussion in 'Pregnancy & Labor' started by arch, Jan 7, 2010.

1. arch

arch Senior IL'ite

In india, normally, the first baby is delivered at your mother's place (mayka) and not at your DH's home.
    If that happens, doesn't the change of doctor and hospital will bother you?
    I am not yet pregnant, but would like to opinion of people who are going thru it.

I don't think pregnant women would be comfortable in changing their doctors in last months. Have you had the pressure of shifting the place, or were you already seeing the doctors from the native?

I live in bangalore and seeing a doc here. But I wonder after being in 7th month, if parents ask to go to their house (kerala), should I go or not. Here only me and DH is there. Or should I start seeing doctors from kerala itself from the beginning?
    Where was your first baby delivered?

PS: this is not for NRI's as I suppose most of them do not have the option of moving to India for delivery
    PPS: Is this the right forum? or the "delivery" forum is more suited :-S

2. JustAni

JustAni Silver IL'ite

Hey Arch...

A very valid point noted by you.

When I conceived my 1st baby, it was in HK. I was there for my 1st trimester, then travelled to Navi Mumbai (since my in-laws are based there). After my 7th month function, I travelled by train to M'lore (my parents are based in Dubai, but I couldn't travel there... & my native is M'lore) & delivered my beautiful baby girl there.

In HK, I didn't know any docs, but after knowing there was an Indian Doc, it kept me in ease. In Navi Mumbai too, I hadn't been to any docs earlier, so went to a Hosp where I knew a Gyno would be there. In M'lore, I went to two docs initally to figured out whom I was more comfortable with. Finally I gave in to the doc my s-i-l recommended.

If I had a chance, I would have taken a few preconceptional advice from any docs to know how they are or how I can build my rapport with them. But in unavoidable circumstances, you have MAY have to take a choice from a few. I feel, you must be able to speak freely with your doc about anything & she mustn't freak you about the pains or delivery. She MUST be very comforting.

Since your folks are already in Kerala, I'm sure there would be some docs whom they or your cousins would be familiar with.

In all, you must have the faith in the doc.

3. Vasumathy

Vasumathy Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hi Arch,
    I am writing out of my knowledge. Here(Chennai, Tamil Nadu) too first delivery of women has to be taken care of girl's parent family. So, people take two sides on this.

1) Few people who have their mother's house near, will go to a gynec near her parents. Compared to last trimester, first trimester will have lesser doc appointments hence, it may be easy to travel those days in proper transport.

2) Few others who have long distance between their parents house & dh's house, will prefer to have initial doc appointments with gynec near to them. Later, they will fix up some doc near their parents & carry out the last trimester. But these days, most hospitals/doctors won't accept preggies in last stage. You may need to inform them prior with your medical reports. Friend of mine did this for her pregnancy.

Since you & your parents live is different state, you may try second option in my opinion.

PS from FM: This thread is in the right place! :) No worries!

4. satin

satin Silver IL'ite

I was in Hyderabad till 20 weeks and came to chennai after that,I am currently 26 weeks,beleive me now I worry why I came to chennai,bcos though the doctor I see here is very famous I never get to see her,out of 3 appointments I saw her only once and was forwarded to her assistant doctor twice which I feel was not that good,so if you taking treatment in one place and really like the place to the fullest including the doctors,etc dont even think of moving to your parent's house .I had eveything perfect my BP,sugar,etc.Now my BP is up to 140/90 ,usually my BP is only around 110/70.Then comes the depression because I have to stay away from my hubbby,I almost literally cry everyday after the day that assistant doctor told me I have high BP(that day also I wasnt able to meet my doctor only her assistant).So please think twice before you make a decision.Please dont decide like me.Because of high BP I am even scared to tavel by tain to move to Hyderabad again.Please dont decide like me.