1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

'firangi' Bahu. Need Tips.

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by Lxcxxz, May 30, 2016.

1. Lxcxxz

Lxcxxz Senior IL'ite

Hi

As the title of my post suggests I wasn't born in India, but I am of Indian-Origin (my family is third generation Kenyan, and I was born in the UK). However, I fell in love with an Indian man and despite a few cultural differences we've been happily married for ten years.

Or at least I thought we were. It seems our 'happy' marriage was only that way because my mil wasn't yet staying with us. For various reasons it was decided that she would stay with us for the summers and she's been with us for nearly two months now. During this time she has ridiculed, demeaned, and insulted me at very turn.

1) I am have an exec job in London. I commute and work very long hours during the week (5am to 9pm) & so my husband picks up the slack when it comes to housework and cooking. This isn't considered unusual or strange in the UK, and I'm not abusing my husband because I pick up my share on the weekends. However my MIL is constantly telling my husband that he's a 'joru ka gulam'. Calls me lazy. Says the reason we don't have kids yet is because I 'don't do enough' housework. She constantly compares to me to my bhabhi who works part time, and narand who doesn't work at all. I don't talk back or defend myself but it really hurts my feelings.

2) Wants me to take a lesser paid job closer to home but at the same time wants my husband and I to continue to pay her and the rest of the family's bills in India. As I'm the main breadwinner of the family this would be impossible.

3) Openly tells her family I'm fat and infertile in front of me and my husband. Husband will tell her to mind her words but she ignores him. We are very private people and haven't discussed the cause of our infertility with anyone (not even her or my parents) and never will, so this hurts.

4) Constantly fault finds my cooking. I appreciate there's a difference in taste between African-Gujarati and Indian-Gujarati food but to throw aside my dal because I haven't added enough sugar for her tastes is rude and OTT in my opinion (especially since we had guests at the time).

My mum tells me to bear with her, that she isn't from a privileged background (husband's family comes from a small village) and that if I'm patient she'll eventually learn. She says lots of Indian women her age & background are like this, but having met some amazing Indian women from small village backgrounds (my bhabhi's mum, sis in law's sasuma) I don't believe this.

I'm struggling to cope with her and feel I'll burst and do something rash like throw her out, or cause a giant row. Is this all in my head? Are there tricks I can use to help me to keep the peace? If so please share. I am at my wits end!

Last edited: May 30, 2016

2. bruised234

bruised234 Gold IL'ite

Why don't you seek services from local Indian cooks? I am sure there are gujarati women who are willing to cook for a fee...don't complain about the fees, you can't have it both ways. 5 am- 9pm is rather strenuous. It is okay for now, but how will you manage once kids are born, surely you cannot spend that much time in the office. Kids need your attention for at least 10-12 years. Indians are generally conscious about the son cooking. Separate a portion of your cooking for her and add extra sugar in that.

sindmani likes this.
  3. Lxcxxz

Lxcxxz Senior IL'ite

Thanks for your advice. No other Indians live around us so hiring someone for the cooking would be impossible. As I mentioned I have an exec role (I am a CFO) and so yes I am in the office that long. I have to be in when markets open and until our teams overseas open, it's part of the job description and wouldn't change even if I got a CFO closer to home. Not sure if we can even have kids at this point, so I don't want to change a career I enjoy for something that might not happen.

sindmani and pocahontas like this.
  4. Chocolatey

Chocolatey Gold IL'ite

Hi @Lxcxxz... Most MILs are like this only except very few. The other women whom you mention might be amazing as women but you can't be sure that they are amazing MILs unless you are a DIL to them. Their DILs might have their own tales to tell about them.
    Ignoring is the only way to have your peace of mind. I would recommend you to read a thread in IL called 'It happens only in In-laws' house'. That would help you to understand the mentality of in-laws. It would definitely help you to deal with your MIL better.:beer-toast1:

satchitananda likes this.
  5. bruised234

bruised234 Gold IL'ite

I don't know about the cooking part, but for sure I can tell you, kids need time and commitment at least for a couple of years. I don't know how women with your work qualification manage as I am not at the same level, so I really can't comment. Out of curiosity I am asking you - what is your age? Maybe you need to talk to someone who is working at the same position as you.

6. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

Your husband has to step in and run interference for you. All the time. Try to ignore her harping as much as you can. As for food, cook to the best of your ability but don't bend over backwards. If your MIL is in good health she can cook her own food to her taste.
    Some older Indian women have this tendency to criticize everything around them. The fact that you are not of their community simply makes you an easier target. Since her stays are hopefully not for more than a few months try to grit your teeth and power through it.
    If you raise a fuss or talk back she will simply go crying to her son. Try to form the habit of just nodding, irritating as it may be. At this point she is not going to change, so you had best try to cope.

guesshoo, songbird46 and SunPa like this.
  7. SunPa

SunPa Platinum IL'ite

Hi,
    Stop seeking MIL's approval. She needs to respect you.
    Learn to tune her out. Don't let things build up too much within you, otherwise it will be hard to just be in the same room as her. You will start to feel suffocated in your own home.

When she says something hurtful, try not to get emotional ( take some deep breaths to calm down) and look straight into her eyes , and tell her without any anger that she is being rude and hurting you and just walk out of the room. She is trying to provoke you buy hurting/insulting you. Stay calm, take a little extra effort but do not bend backwards. Respect is a two way street.

Share your emotions with your husband, dont complain, just tell him how hurt you are when she told this, how you put in effort to please her etc. Ask him for a shoulder to cry on, get the pain out of your system.

If you are bringing in the lion's share of the dough home, you get to do lesser share of house work. Simple maths. Mothers dont like it if their son is earning less, sometimes she can use that to provoke him too. Women of that generation may not be educated but can be master manipulators . So yes, it can be worse than corporate politics.

Wish you luck :)

8. Lxcxxz

Lxcxxz Senior IL'ite

Thanks Malstrom/Sunpa. I had a chat with my husband about this the other day as I can't go on like this & he is happy to support me in whatever I need to do. So lets see.

Bruised234 I am 34. It's different in the UK for parents and a lot easier. The government guarantees a 12 month maternity/paternity leave that can be shared between parents. My and my husband's companies allow work from home for parents, and the private daycare in my city is great. If we have kids they will definitely be well cared for.

sslkgpaa likes this.
  9. bruised234

bruised234 Gold IL'ite

Good to know that. I was just wondering. One year maternity leave is a blessing. If I had that I would have jumped with joy. Seriously talking, it is between you and your husband, if your husband does not mind, then you should not strain yourself over it. Moreover you are pitching on the weekends. You are the CFO of a company. She should have known before the marriage itself. I still think the way to find peace with your mother-in-law is to get a cook. I am not surprised that she is so upset. My own MIL let my FIL do everything for her but she was extremely upset when my husband tried to help me and was not at all happy when I did not show interest in cooking initially.

10. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Time to revisit those various reasons.

Also, a good time to make the summer stays conditional to certain behaviors from her. 2-3 weeks is guest, beyond that she is 'living' with you. TTC along with such a stressful person in the house, not a good idea.