Finest Posts - November 2016 Nominations

Discussion in 'Finest Posts of IL' started by Viswamitra, Nov 1, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. blackbeauty84

blackbeauty84 IL Hall of Fame

Left hander told to use right hand is quite common I guess. Thanks for the feedback sir.

2. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

@jayasala42 amma,

Thanks for your beautiful memory. It was indeed another great snippet to cherish here.

3. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

I am glad I had one nomination left and using it to nominate this post by @guesshoo Hurtful Words From My 5 Year Old

I can only echo @Joyoflife who had this to say about the above post: "Your parenting suggestions are like golden words. ..... I must say guesshoo, you should consider writing a parenting book. Your parenting advise is very much practical, on the spot and useful."

4. LakshmiKMBhat

LakshmiKMBhat Gold IL'ite

That was wonderful , if something is to happen it will happen , I really believe that. Thank you for sharing . Lakshmi

5. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

@Rihana

Thank you for nominating @guesshoo's response Hurtful Words From My 5 Year Old. @Joyoflife is right in saying that @guesshoo has an excellent perspective about parenting. In my own experience, the hurt feeling comes by own reaction more than what is being said by a 5 year old. 5 year old doesn't really mean that and we all know that. But sometimes, in our parenting stress, we tend to react badly and treat the children like an adult.

In parenting, I have followed some principles and it worked wonders:

1) No matter how much ever a child tries to put one parent above the other, never get intimidated and instead communicate to the child that the parents are a single entity in their thinking with respect to the child.

2) Whenever, there is something that need to be effectively communicated to the child, get on the knees, hold the hands of the child and make the child listen carefully.

3) Appreciation should always accompany with a simple reward and reprimand should be accompanied with a simple punishment. In both cases, a hug or a kiss should be the end results once a reward and reprimand is accepted gracefully.

4) As the child grows up, preferably, questioning the attitude and ask the child to arrive at own conclusion helps him/her understand the mistakes better and not to commit it again.

5) Never mention that the other parent would be notified as a threat as it undermines the authority of the parent who communicates that in the mind of the child.

6) Discipline is a very important lesson but should never be given like a medicine separately but with the delicious food so that it is accepted as part of life.

7) The child should not be allowed to understand treating the child well as an invitation to misbehave. A punishment should neither be viewed by the child as lack of love. This can be achieved only by maintaining balance in parenting.

8) There has to be constant communication with the child and when the child talks, we should listen carefully to understand the child's perspective. This actually helps us in parenting.

9) The child should be told that making mistakes is human but regretting and apologizing is also human behavior. It is important to learn lessons out of our mistakes so that they don't commit it again. In order to inculcate this, the parents should accept their mistakes and apologize whenever necessary.

Viswa

Joyoflife, maggi32, SGBV and 3 others like this.
  6. guesshoo

guesshoo IL Hall of Fame

Thank you, @Rihana ,for your nomination and very kind words. bumbling through with my 5 year old, does lead through to a lot of epiphanies, I guess!

Excellent tips, @Viswamitra sir! it's always enlightening to read your posts.

Viswamitra likes this.
  7. Amica

Amica IL Hall of Fame

jskls likes this.
  8. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

@Amica

Thank you for nominating @blackbeauty84's I Too Went Onsite! to the FP section. I realize and relate very well to the dreams of the software professionals about their onsite visits. When I was the CEO of the offshore software company back in 1994, the management team used to present names for onsite visits for visa processing and I was the one to approve the names. I had a very good habit of mingling so well with all the software professionals regularly inquiring about them and their families and had a very good relationship with almost all of them. The management team used to report about the politics, seniority, knowledge needed for the work, client's preference, the person who is fit for the onsite visit, etc. in raw form and finally, I used to do the final decision of who to send onsite and why. The management team also used to ask me to talk to both the person who was selected and the one who gets disappointed for not being selected.

To my knowledge, everyone by default had a dream to first to go to the US and Europe as the second option. Australia and Canada used to be okay option. There were no takers for the rest of the countries unless it is a short onsite visit.

Viswa

Amica likes this.
  9. Amica

Amica IL Hall of Fame

@Viswamitra, thanks for accepting the late nomination so graciously and making time to comment promptly. :)

Viswamitra likes this.
  10. blackbeauty84

blackbeauty84 IL Hall of Fame

Thank you Amica for nominating my post. I'm really surpriseed and much more than happy to see tremendous comments and feedback for this piece. My office in-house magazine wanted a writeup about travel and I thought of submitting this. Before submitting there i wanted to post in IL so that I will get a realistic feedback. Now I'm more than convinced!!
    Thank you once again.

Amica and iyerviji like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.