Finest Posts - Nominations For December 2018

Discussion in 'Finest Posts of IL' started by Cheeniya, Dec 1, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

You are welcome, Mr. T.

BTW, it was a different kind of writing from you. Your poems and snippets are usually enigmatic, pose questions and remind of Raaj Kumar (Jaani) or a brooding (yet optimistic) hero. This school battle was like Amol Palekar and roz mara ki zindagi aur uska sangharsh. (daily life's vicissitudes).

Hope to see more of both kinds from you. : )

2. Rihana

What is @kkrish's favorite day of the year? More than the answer it is kkrish's pondering on the question that catches the attention and makes for an easy and playful start to a facts, opinion and awe filled write-up. She says:

If anyone asked what my most favorite day in the year … now why would anyone ask me that question, or care, or … oh well, just in case… someone asked me, my answer will be

The answer is best read in the snippet itself. I will only give a clue: it is nothing to do with 'kitchen' or 'food' or 'drink' which suddenly became so popular in the Snippets section. : )

My third nomination for the month: 'tis My Most Favorite Day Of The Year...!!

Amica, kkrish and Viswamitra like this.
  3. Rihana

Yet another fine and crisp short story by @blackbeauty84: Those Three Words

In this one, the past and present are beautifully layered so we transition back and forth without even knowing. It is not easy to convey so much in a short story. I often do a word-count after reading bb's short stories. This one is told in just about 1300 words. Wow.

"If I am to speak ten minutes, I need a week for preparation; if fifteen minutes, three days; if half an hour, two days; if an hour, I am ready now." —Winston Churchill

Amica, kkrish and Viswamitra like this.
  4. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

@iyerviji @Srama
    My dear Viji
    Thanks a lot for your nomination of Srama's It Must Be The Season....again :)
    In the opening line of your FB to the thread, you have called it 'a thought provoking post'. I would call it a mood enhancing thread. Sabi always makes sure that the people who read her posts leave with a big smile on their faces. I totally agree with @kkrish when she says 'You brought the spirit of Christmas to the fore'. I remember, like Sabi, with a smile on my face Lisa Thiel's Yule song:
    'Enter the night and you'll find the light,
    That will carry you to your dreams.
    Enter the night, let your spirit take flight,
    In the field of infinite possibilities'

Sabi is sabi! What else can I say?
    Sri

Srama, kkrish and Viswamitra like this.
  5. Cheeniya

@Rihana @kkrish

Dear Rihana
    Whenever I read kkrish, I start wondering how much of Space is cramped within her head. Thank you for your nomination of her 1968-Space Odyssey. Her 'tis My Most Favorite Day Of The Year...!! takes us back on a maiden tete-a-tete with Moon. For guys like me, space just means the eternal clamour 'Give me some space'! kkrish's vision of Space is absolutely thrilling. She has been feeding us with enormous information of what lies above, far above, our head. At a time when we cannot see anything in the little space above our head with the stars getting devoured by the blazing manmade lights, she keeps us in touch with Space. ILites should be eternally grateful to her for her endeavours in keeping us in touch with pictures of Planet Earth as a tiny blueish ball in the boundless galaxy.
    Sri

Rihana, kkrish and Viswamitra like this.
  6. Cheeniya

@Rihana @blackbeauty84
    Rihana
    Thank you very much for your fourth noination of bb84's story Those Three Words
    This is a simple story that tugs at your heart when you come to know that Preeti has named her child after her first love. This brought to my mind another youngster in the film Anuraag (1972) where a young boy dying of cancer donates his eyes to the blind heroine Maushimi. When she gets her sight back, she searches for her young friend when she is told that she is seeing through his eyes and he died of cancer. I cannot say why I remembered this movie. It may be because of the vital role the youngsters play. One carries the name of a lover to perpetuate his memory. The other leaves his eyes to the blind woman he adores.
    Life is indeed starnge, both in fiction and in real

7. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

Thank you @Rihana
    I am truly amazed to see how your read my opening line.
    Actually, I first wrote this, then thought "why bother folks with something so boring".

Then a few minutes later, I felt if these important milestones are not recalled, it would be a disservice to those who gave their everything, even lives, for this cause.

Your nomination is a honor for those astronauts, their families, and scientists behind the scenes.

Rihana, Cheeniya and Viswamitra like this.
  8. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

Dear Sri Sir.
    Thank you sir for your lovely words of compliment. Though I am not sure I deserve them, I will happily take them.

Your quoted words are my constant peeve these days.
    The light pollution not only obscures the beautiful night sky, and prevents our next generations from looking up (literally and figuratively); artificial lighting has raised the Earth's temperature, played havoc with our circadian rhythms, resulting in health issues.

Nowadays I am not sure if I should thank Thomas Alva Edison or not. If not for his invention I will not be typing this. So, I guess this is the heavy price Earth pays, and we pay for our evolved brains.

Deep in my heart I hope, and hope that one or two young minds will do something to change the world for the better.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2018
    Rihana, Viswamitra and Cheeniya like this.
  9. Amica

Amica IL Hall of Fame

There have been so many brilliant posts this month, I can't choose just four to nominate. I have instead clicked "like" on several nominations in this thread. :facepalm:

Cheeniya, I don't envy you the task of having to pick the winners.

Viswamitra likes this.
  10. jayasala42

jayasala42 IL Hall of Fame

Birds-eye View
    jskls, has been nominated as finest of the month.It is simply exhilarating.In my age I cannot even imagine to undertake such risks. But now after reading the snippet,i feel I should have tried.
    jayasala 42

Amica, jskls, kaniths and 1 other person like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.