Finest Post - May 2017 Nominations

Discussion in 'Finest Posts of IL' started by satchitananda, Apr 30, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

Dear IL Members,

Wow! 4 months of the year have flown past. Are years members of the avian species, I wonder. So here we find ourselves ready to usher in the month of May. You might be wondering what I am doing here. Our friend Viswamitra, due to personal reasons is unable to hold the fort for Cheeniya Sir. So I came to do the needful. I am afraid we will have to do without Cheeniya Sir’s most entertaining posts here for some more time. I am in no hurry though, because I am sure we all wish him a complete recovery, so he can take up charge again. It is really heartening to see him active with his ramblings and I am sure he will also continue to respond to the threads in this forum. Meanwhile you will all have to just bear up with me although I am not a blot on CS, Kamla and Viswa. Stepping into their shoes is an onerous task and I am doing with great trepidation. I do hope you will continue to support this forum by bringing in your nominations regularly.

The country is ablaze with the summer heat. There is worse to come for the North where summer is at its worst in May and June. Here in the South, hopefully, we should soon be out of it. Bangalore is showing signs of cooling down. After years am witnessing typical Bangalore weather – hot and steamy in the mornings, cooler and cloudy with thunder showers and lightening in the afternoons. Of course, there is a flip side. If it rains, trees fall on electrical lines and there is no electricity. If there is no rain, there is no water and so therefore no electricity.

While we face all these vagaries of Nature and of the “powers” that be, some celebrations are also in order. We begin the month with workers’ day – a bank holiday. This is also the month when the first Indian Nobel Laureate (Literature), Rabindranath Tagore came into this world. His birth anniversary is on the 9th of May. The motivation for his award has been stated to be "because of his profoundly sensitive, fresh and beautiful verse, by which, with consummate skill, he has made his poetic thought, expressed in his own English words, a part of the literature of the West". He was also knighted but returned the knighthood as a mark of protest against the Jalianwalla Bagh massacre. What better way for us to celebrate this month of the anniversary of this great Nobel Laureate than by contributing actively to this forum in our own chosen way of expression.

I request all of you, my friends on IL to please contribute actively to the various forums and also to bring in more nominations to the FP forum. Posts from all forums are welcome here.

Only one is declared as a Finest Post and one as Finest Narration each month. But there are no restrictions that a thread has to be nominated only once or only in the month in which it is written.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Please note that posts and threads from the sub-forums Express Cafe, Forward Messages & Jokes, Online Games & Puzzles cannot be nominated.

To familiarise yourselves with FP and its nominating process, please check this link: Finest Posts of IL
    Each member is allowed to nominate up to 4 posts only.
    This ensures that each of us has a hand in deciding the winning post as we will filter our choice more closely, thus making the winner more significant.

The nominations will be closed on the last day of every month. Simultaneously, the nomination thread for the following month will be opened on the First day of that month.

In a case of nominating Feedback, please remember to add a link to the feedback post and not to the original post.

The following gives step-wise on adding links to your nominations –

- To add a link to the original post that you are nominating:
    How to add a "Link" in my post?

- To add a link to the Feedback post that you are nominating:
    How do I create a link to an existing message posted in IL?"

Last edited: Apr 30, 2017
    gitika, Laks09, Amica and 6 others like this.

2. Iravati

Iravati Platinum IL'ite

A quirky, funny, introspective, never-before-seen avatar of Mr mom in IL who races from gratifying tooth fairies to misplacing forks at What I Learnt Being Mr.mom For 100-days.

You might think that @Jey is a typical dad with teething problems but he reveals that those are not teeths but fangs and horns he had to deal with while bringing up kids.

I always sighed why we don't have many men and dads in IL. Posts like this demonstrate the need for counterposed tales from the other side of the fence. Jey should write more, just write about his ...just write something ..anything ...because he has a way to narrate his woe in a tongue-in-toes humour. I nominate his blog for the Finest Narration of May.

Last edited: May 4, 2017
    Laks09, Kamla, Jey and 1 other person like this.
  3. justanothergirl

justanothergirl IL Hall of Fame

Second it !

Jey and satchitananda like this.
  4. Iravati

Iravati Platinum IL'ite

Satchi,

I am part of a small private group of junkies who pick a theme for a month and pursue it. We elect a chair-leader of the month to announce the opening topic and also encourage the ongoing discussions with utterances like “hurray” and “giddy up”. In the beginning, I asked once, “Don't we have to ack or say thank you for such an effort”. To which a friend replied, “Ira, only you can write a 2-page essay in 5 minutes on trivial things, and, to add to that, only you will delight at the curvature of a comma in the original post”. Very true! I mean the curvature of the comma part. I honour such forlorn and discretionary etiquette. I mean ...even the established and customary protocol takes time and effort to set forth, say, in the form of an opening post paced with shapely commas and stubby periods.

TS Eliot in The Waste Land noted,

APRIL is the cruellest month, breeding
    Lilacs out of the dead land, mixing
    Memory and desire, stirring
    Dull roots with spring rain.

So, I guess we are over the cruellest times and looking forward to the bobbing lilacs in the manner of flurry of nominations now in May.

Not anymore than you might be wondering what am I doing here. Sometimes we step up and sometimes we step into the breach. Let's say you are doing the first one and I am doing the second.

Is that a five-day or a ten-day report. I am distrustful of weather reports these days, wherein I am informed of light showers only to be greeted by a hail storm, or balmy weather that burns as solar flare. Either way, we will now be treated to the whims of Bangalore clouds that have migrated from Chennai.

That is some Zeno's paradox there! I might have to re-read that again to crack it. Hold it!

I am bad with expressions, even worse with nominations. If there is one thing I am competent at, it is enjoying a hearty and all-embracing invite like yours. My chosen way of expression is wobbling and staggering and making my way to the FP forum. You did say active but not swift, so I will show myself here with unforeseen delays and unrehearsed apologises.

Oh, by the way, Eliot's The Waste Land ends with

Why then Ile fit you. Hieronymo's mad againe.
    Datta. Dayadhvam. Damyata.
    Shantih Shanith Shantih

After April's cruelty, he hopes for kindness and peaceful gestures (in May) unless the capricious Bangalore weather foils his divining. Good luck.

Laks09, Anisu, Cheeniya and 2 others like this.
  5. satchitananda

Thanks dear @Iravati and @justanothergirl for the first nomination of the month. It made for a delightful read. My hats off to Mr. Mom for all his efforts. Am sure it was not easy and the 'offsprings' also appreciate dad's effort and performance.

Looking forward to more nominations from both of you as well as other ILites. This is a great start we are off to.

gitika, Shanvy and justanothergirl like this.
  6. justanothergirl

justanothergirl IL Hall of Fame

Not sure where to post this but tagging @Jey since this is both a query and could probably be a suggestion.
    Can a thread long running one like this one from @Shanvy be nominated for finest posts after it has already won it once? Probably not..and this leads to my next question..how do we know if a thread has already won the FP award at some point.?
    Is it possible to tag the thread somehow to highlight that?

Laks09, Shanvy and satchitananda like this.
  7. satchitananda

gitika likes this.
  8. satchitananda

Good question jag. If it has won once, it certainly can't win again; however, I don't see the harm in renominating it. That would increase the visibility of the thread and more people would get to know about it. To find out whether the thread has won, I am aware of only one way so far, viz. going through the finest posts index. A bit tedious though, I'd say.

gitika and Laks09 like this.
  9. Iravati

Iravati Platinum IL'ite

Curious …JAG, why would you want to renominate an FP winner? I am assuming you are querying a post-hoc scenario where someone renominates with no prior knowledge of the thread's merit. Further, I am also assuming, you meant, (a) would the nomination be accepted, rather than (b) can the thread be nominated. I don't think (b) has any rules it is only (a) that Satchi would have to refer to that 3000-odd pages rulebook (wink). There's also (c) I would like to deliberately renominate.

Good idea to identify winners.

Again, retracing, what is the inquiry about? Is that to distinguish to preclude renomination, or, promote the thread inspite of the earlier win? They serve different purposes.

(a,b) To distinguish — a sticker or badge “FP”, like the stars, will suffice to identify local forum-level winners (you still have to refer to FP index for comprehensive list).

(c) To promote — In my view, renominating a winner to promote, er, is an unorthodox practice to popularise a thread. We already have “sticky” labels and popularity on-the-side panel. Would renominating to appreciate/promote a thread not degenerate or jade the topical squeakiness of this FP arbitration.

I am just fussy when it comes to playing out scenarios :rolleyes:

(+ a thinking loud smiley)

gitika, Laks09, Shanvy and 1 other person like this.
  10. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Is this some scheming to bring me to this part of the forum.. @justanothergirl thank you for the nomination and @Iravati you have so much time to think loud on jag's dilemma rather than use it to write something or maybe post your rail thalis. (Btw a rti says railways buy 100ml curd at 972rs..)
    To put your doubts to rest it has been nominated couple of times but there were other wonderful threads at the same time.
    It is the participation that makes it a sucess.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.